Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day/Funk Night @ Bar Volo - Sep 14

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

dale cannon wrote:I have a couple extra tix. PM for details.
as an aside....

about 10 years ago, i heard a story from a friend involving Huey Lewis picking his friend (a girl) up, inviting her to his hotel room, and him discussing how he does what your avatar depicts.

every time you post, i think of Huey Lewis.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

groulxsome wrote:
squeaky wrote:Anyone know anything about the other beers on offer? Anything especially worth trying?
I agree with grub! Everything!

Funk Night was my favourite beer event last year and I even prefer it to the always awesome cask days. Had there only been 120 tickets on sale - for the same price - for early bird access to Funk Night I would have bought the tickets with the same sense of urgency. Cantillon is a major bonus!

I just loved some of the offerings last year and I always trust Amsterdam and Great Lakes with a bunch of bacteria, yeast, and barrels. The Dead Spainda Monkey was maybe the first Indie Ale House beer I had ever tried (this was before they opened last year), so they are also known to throw a good sour.

The Hopfenstark Epilogue (Berliner Weisse With Raspberry) was my favourite beer at Mondial this year out of everything (it's the Alexanderplatz with raspberries)... I honestly don't know where to start with the list!
The Alexanderplaz w/ Raspberries was in my top 3 at Mondial as well. I'm interested to see what the Dunham offerings are like. In general, the sours from Quebec I got to try in Mondial blew me away.

The LTM Gose might just be my favorite gose and is definitely well worth trying.

Although I love Brett, I think I'll be tracking down Lacto, Lacto-Brett beers more so than straight up brett offerings. An exception might be Amsterdam's Domestic Distrturbance collab, which sounds interesting.

Can't wait to get my hands on that glass.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

if, for some reason, anyone has a pair of tickets they can't use, can you DM me?

a friend who is VERY involved in Toronto's food truck/festival/wine scene wasn't able to get tickets and would like to go.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Updated final list - http://archive.barvolo.com/zwanze.png

I'm flying solo for this one, guess I'll see a bunch of you there anyhow. Wouldn't mind splitting a bottle of Fou Foune or Bretteuse.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Kekumba wrote:Wouldn't mind splitting a bottle of Fou Foune or Bretteuse.
Any idea if the bottles are going to be sold as bottles or are they using their "tasting bar" concept? I would guess the latter considering buying bottles with tokens would be... odd, and seeing a large group of folks walking around a at capacity volo with a bottle of Cantillon in one hand and a glass in the other would be quite funny.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Sounds like you'd know better than I, as I've not ever been to an event at Volo. The "tasting bar" sounds good to me, though.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

hope that i'm not stirring up a hornets' nest, but...

any idea how Volo can sell/offer the Leelenau or Mikeller beer, since i don't think they went through testing at the LCBO?

also not sure how this applies to the two Cantillon kegs being tapped.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Going solo on this as well. I'll be the guy who looks like jesus. Feel free to say hi.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Going with the wife. I'm the dude with the shaved head, black rimmed glasses beard and black Pliny shirt.

Time to get Funky.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Here! If anyone wants to say hi I'm in a white and grey checked shirt and thick black framed glasses. Here with the partner who's wearing a shirt with stars.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ChrisK wrote:Going solo on this as well. I'll be the guy who looks like jesus. Feel free to say hi.
funny because a girl with us said "look, it's Jesus at the bar." so yeah that was you

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Wish I read this before going....saw all of you there. :)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Did everyone else figure out that they were selling samples from bottles at the bar outside? Holy crap were there some excellent beers there. Just from that I got to try:

Abbaye de bon Chien (2009)
Cuvée de Ranke
Leelenau Golden
Leelenau White
Cantillon Cuvée Saint-Gilloise (2012)
Mikkeller Festival Special Edition 2011 - Stella 2
TDD ARCHÉOPORTER

The Bon-Chien, Mikkeller and Ranke were my highlights of the night.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

atomeyes wrote:
ChrisK wrote:Going solo on this as well. I'll be the guy who looks like jesus. Feel free to say hi.
funny because a girl with us said "look, it's Jesus at the bar." so yeah that was you
I embrace it. It's easier that way.

aser

Post by aser »

The zwanze was a huge disappointment, really nothing to write home about.

The gueuze was ROCKING, so damn good.

overall some great beers available to try. Really enjoyed both Hopenstark and the DDC solstice d'ete. Hope to see the latter in bottles at lcbo one day.

I never checked but how many tokens did they charge for those bottle pours in the outdoor bar?