Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Cellar Pictures?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Beer Cellar Pictures?

Post by spinrsx »

I moved into a new house and I am looking for ideas on what to do for a beer storage area. Figured fellow bartowelers must have some nice setups. If you happen to have a picture, could you please post so I can get some ideas?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

What are you looking to do? Something elaborate or something simple? I have a simple wooden shelf with all of my overflow in boxes. I could post a picture but I am sure that isn't what you had in mind...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Nothing fancy, I have an unfinished basement area so it would just be cement walls/floors etc

Looking for ideas on store bought shelves or home made versions.. maybe using some old beer cases/crates, I am open to suggestions. Cheap/simple is the priority

TheSevenDuffs wrote:What are you looking to do? Something elaborate or something simple? I have a simple wooden shelf with all of my overflow in boxes. I could post a picture but I am sure that isn't what you had in mind...

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Find an antique place. I bought these crates outside of Port Hope for $3 each and they work perfectly.

"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

My basement hit 30 degrees over the summer, so it's no ideal to just lay bottles out on their own. If the cellar grows enough I'll run the AC and it'll be fine.

I actually got this to store wine, but building up the 220+ capacity of wine is going to take a while, so there's room for 150 bottles of beer or so, at last count.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i'm supposed to be redoing my basement as we speak. whoops.
my cellar's currently a mix and match and a fucking mess. i have a closet that i built shelves for, and that holds around 100 bottles.
i have a wine fridge that i've turned into a 1/2 beer fridge 1/2 wine fridge and it was great until my wife moved it, somehow fucking up the compressor. so now it stays off and is just for storage. that's around 50 bottles but it lets me lay down my cantillon bottles.
i bought one of those cheap plastic shelving units from home depot and i use that as well.
but i want to build something nice and permanent and climate controlled. no one offers a pre-fab beer cellar. only wine cellars. so things get pricey.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The problem with pre-fab beer cellars is beer bottles come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, where wine bottles are fairly standard.

If you are interested in the cellar approach, when I did the research about a year ago I found that the cheapest option by far was Vintage Keeper. They come disassembled, but the 110 bottle one was 800 bucks, the 220 was about a grand and the 500 was 1500. Pricey, but that's about half what most the competing units were charging for the same capacity.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I've had these (the very bottom) screwed into the wall of a basement storage room since we moved in 6 years ago. It just occurred to me last month I could buy some of these and a few wooden stands and set a little something up. I can go about 3 bombers (750's, even) deep and 9 wide. Have room to go about 25 wide if I wanted, and expand a little underneath. I'd say I could keep 85-100 bottles of varying sizes. We'll find out soon as this is not everything. Room runs in the low 60's, usually.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cool basement storage space with exposed concrete seems to work. I aged wine nearly a decade and it was perfect.
In Beerum Veritas

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I built a small closet kinda thing in the unfinished part of my basement and basically built shelves like the ones kekumba has inside the closet. I insulated the interior walls of the closet, but left the exterior to the exposed foundation. Put up some vapour barier. Nothing fancy, and certainly not a true "cold" room, but it does a nice enough job of keeping a relatively constant temperature in there year round.

I think it could take 100 bottles easily, and I could use wider shelving planks if I really wanted to expand.

Took me at most an afternoon to build and cost me maybe $100 shelving/lumber/door all in.

Streets

Post by Streets »

My basement had some metal shelves already in place, so I just used those... Here's a picture from 2011, and a new one from today. Still have a few of those Orval, St. Bernie, vintage ales & Quads around too ;)

Not pretty, but it works ;)

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Wire = smart... last few earthquakes had me nervously making my way back home.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

iguenard wrote:Wire = smart... last few earthquakes had me nervously making my way back home.
If you want a final solution, there is always this:

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad ... e_20716747

EPIC.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

wow.. I want that fridge
iguenard wrote:
iguenard wrote:Wire = smart... last few earthquakes had me nervously making my way back home.

EPIC.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

spinrsx wrote:wow.. I want that fridge
iguenard wrote:

EPIC.
Me too! I don't think I could even get that in to my basement though...