Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wallace Gastropub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

screw2000

Wallace Gastropub

Post by screw2000 »

... in the former Twisted Kilt / Bow & Arrow location.

Had a brief stopover on the way home the other day. Two most noticeable (and welcomed) changes: hardwood instead of carpet and a washroom reno.

Tap selection seems to have improved as well.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

This is good news.

I'll have to check them out. I loved the bow in the late 90s early 2000s, when I lived at Yonge and Davisville, but something always seemed to be lacking at the Twisted Kilt. ---- people I think...The Bow used to always be packed, and I rarely saw many people at the Kilt.

Thanks for the update.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I met a friend there recently and was pleasantly surprised to see the real ale tap going again, with Muskoka pouring. (I'm not sure which one, the Mad Tom maybe). It came rich-tasting, and clear too, which I like personally. I tried their Urquell too which was excellent and a popular choice judging by the numbers of Urquell glasses going to the tables. IMO, the Urquell was the best choice of all the imports there but I find that true almost anywhere, i.e., Urquell is that good when fresh-tasting. (My experience with it in Toronto has been very positive in the last couple of years or so).

They might consider increasing the number of domestic craft beers vs. the imports they carry although I was informed that many customers like the imports: import still carries cachet amongst general pub-goers it seems. The offer of a beer on hand pump does improve the domestic choice certainly.

The pub seems generally an updated version of the previous operation with a new name. It was busy mid-week which augurs well for them.

Gary
Gary Gillman

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

screw2000 wrote:... in the former Twisted Kilt / Bow & Arrow location.

Had a brief stopover on the way home the other day. Two most noticeable (and welcomed) changes: hardwood instead of carpet and a washroom reno.

Tap selection seems to have improved as well.
I took a look at the tap selection online and had the opposite reaction, to be honest. Almost no Ontario craft options. However, given the positive reports, I will have to pay them a visit soon. Like Jeff, I was a big Bow & Arrow fan back in the day. Gary's report that the handpump is back in business is particularly encouraging - there was no mention of that on their web site.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This week Muskoka's Harvest Ale was on cask and coming commendably clear and rich-tasting. Pretty sure Black Oak Pale is there, MacAuslan Cream Ale, Steamwhistle, Creemore and a couple of other local beers - not a huge range to be sure and the imports seem the main draw. However, the place has potential IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Lamber

Post by Lamber »

It is the same owner with a reno and name change. They usually have Black Oak, Mad Tom and Steamwhistle, but it is a little heavy on imports for my taste. I stop by 2 or 3 times a month on Mondays, it's a little slow,but that could be the night. I generally enjoy it.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I was in not too long back and although the place was deadly quiet, the bartender seemed quite disinterested in me and my companion. Several beers were missing from the printed selection, and when I inquired after one of them he said it was listed instead on the chalkboard, despite the fact that said board quite clearly listed only bottle selections. They have a large Chouffe tower at the front of the bar, which I inexplicably missed when I came in, and when I asked the bartender about it -- after I had ordered -- he said it was not on the list because it was a seasonal?!

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I consulted on the beer list for them, so I can tell you that the idea was simply to provide one of everything. While it might seem like a great opportunity to get an all craft tap lineup going, the place seats about 160 and there's an existing clientele you can't afford to alienate. It's hard to strike a balance between the regular football fans and the younger, hipper apartment/condo demographic.

They've got Black Oak, Beau's, Mill Street Organic, Muskoka Harvest, Mad Tom, Steam Whistle and Blanche de Chambly. The more esoteric selections are mostly European, but they include some interesting things like Rodenbach and Hofbrau. They have Hennepin on tap. We more or less opted for one of everything.

I think the idea with the La Chouffe is that the variety of beer from La Chouffe will be changing seasonally.

Most importantly, I should note that the cask line used to run to a cellar that had been specially built for cask ale but which had become too warm for cask beer over the course of its existence. I made the case that they should keep one cask handpump and run the line to the beer fridge in the basement instead of the cellar. The result is cask that's now the right temperature. I understand that they may be talking to Kensington about regular cask beer.
saintjohnswort.ca

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

That sounds good. I was in one night last week and the Muskoka Harvest cask was top notch. Would have liked a pump clip or blackboard somewhere telling me what cask beer is on, but that is a minor quibble. The pub was looking very refreshed and I had a good time.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:... and run the line to the beer fridge in the basement instead of the cellar. The result is cask that's now the right temperature. I understand that they may be talking to Kensington about regular cask beer.
Nice stuff Jordan, appreciate what you beer guys do for the city!

By the way Mr. Steve I think you mean 'uninterested' bartender although 'disinterested' has despite critics come to be used interchangeably to mean the same (and hence lost its distinct meaning which is to be free of bias eg. as a 'disinterested party in a conflict resolution'.) Having said that I'm not the published author here so I'll shut it now. :)
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Last couple of times I was there the cask tap was in disuse. I do look forward to the cask option, so hopefully the fits and starts will stop. Good choices there IMO absent the cask are Urquell and one or two others. I like the German dark beer served in a porcelain mug, Thurn und Taxi. Lots of excellent Belgian choice but I'm not really a fan of the Belgian ale taste I guess.

Again my taste, but the Ontario draft selection doesn't appeal except for Mad Tom. And e.g. I wish they'd have a pumpkin beer on offer around this time.

The Chouffe was back on on my last visit, they were kind enough to give me a taste but it didn't appeal. An IPA of some kind apparently.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I thought I'd mention that this location is open again, now as a Turkish restaurant called Nevizade: https://nevizade.ca

I stopped in while I was out and about and the decor and interior is pretty much the same as it's always been. All the big draught towers are still there, but aren't in use. They did have Beau's and what they called a "House IPA" which I think was Spearhead. Certainly not anything like what it used to be, but still nice to see the lights back on at the location.