Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Windsor-Essex County Beer Enthusiasts, Unite!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

I'd probably be in for 3 bottles, but I have no way of getting it from Toronto.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Raisy wrote:I'd probably be in for 3 bottles, but I have no way of getting it from Toronto.
And therein lies the rub!

Is there anyone from Windsor/Essex who CAN pick this up, or have it delivered, from Toronto?

If not, Raisy, there's a fellow from Toronto on Bar Towel who told me he makes his way down to Windsor every now and then, and might be able to bring down Bellwoods brews with him when he does (this was in response to my earlier comments on Bar Towel about my interest in Bellwoods). Perhaps he would be willing to pick up a case of this stuff and split it with us?

If anyone else is interested in getting in on this (assuming it's possible), please let me know asap as the order deadline is NOVEMBER 4, 2013.

Raisy, I'm not very hopeful that this whole thing will work out, but if it does (or even for future reference), are you at all interested in getting your hands on Bellwoods beer as well?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

guys, LCBO will ship cases from private orders to your local LCBO at no charge - just takes a few weeks. I wish I lived just outside the GTA so i could get it shipped rather than having to drive into the city and pick it up...

I also end up in the windsor area fairly regularly (every couple months) if you guys are desperate for something that doesn't get down there.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

grub wrote:guys, LCBO will ship cases from private orders to your local LCBO at no charge - just takes a few weeks. I wish I lived just outside the GTA so i could get it shipped rather than having to drive into the city and pick it up...

I also end up in the windsor area fairly regularly (every couple months) if you guys are desperate for something that doesn't get down there.
I don't know if that would work for this one, the keep6 post said pickup was at their head office.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

This just in from a fellow Bar Towel-er:

"This can be shipped to any LCBO in Ontario for pick up free of charge.

ie. I'm hopefully getting my cases sent to my local LCBO for pickup."

So, if shipping it here isn't an issue, who's in!? Looks like 6 bottles are spoken for, with another 6 still available.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, usually it's at the LCBO warehouse and you pick it up there...

if it truly can only be picked up from keep6 directly, let me know. worst case i can drag it down that way when i'm down there for the xmas holidays.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

grub wrote:yeah, usually it's at the LCBO warehouse and you pick it up there...

if it truly can only be picked up from keep6 directly, let me know. worst case i can drag it down that way when i'm down there for the xmas holidays.
Grub - thanks a tonne! Really appreciate the offer. Any chance you'd be interested in splitting the case with us?

SRM

Post by SRM »

I would be interested in two bottles if a case made it's way down to Windsor.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

ECBS wrote:Grub - thanks a tonne! Really appreciate the offer. Any chance you'd be interested in splitting the case with us?
how many do you have allocated so far - ie: are you looking to offload a few or only have a few and need a bigger cut? I could probably jump in on a couple, but haven't checked with the usual locals to see if we're splitting a case.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

grub wrote:
ECBS wrote:Grub - thanks a tonne! Really appreciate the offer. Any chance you'd be interested in splitting the case with us?
how many do you have allocated so far - ie: are you looking to offload a few or only have a few and need a bigger cut? I could probably jump in on a couple, but haven't checked with the usual locals to see if we're splitting a case.
Looking to offload 4 as of now. 8 of the 12 are spoken for by Windsor area people (3 for me, 3 for Raisy, 2 for SRM). If you want all 4, awesome. If not, we'll just wait a day or so to see if anyone else is interested in taking a couple. Lemme know! We have 'til Nov. 4 to order.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

So I talked to Tomas at Keep6 and he confirmed that LCBO can transfer orders like this free of charge, the only downside being that it would take an extra 2-3 weeks to receive the order.

Unfortunately, it looks like we only have interest in 8 of the 12 bottles as of now, today being the deadline for orders. So I'm going to assume that we won't be ordering a case.

Perhaps this is actually a blessing in disguise - at approx. $17 per 750mL bottle, this is no cheap beer!

After picking up 3 bottles of Deus at the Roundhouse LCBO last week, my wallet is hurting pretty bad already.

Raisy & SRM - you guys okay with not ordering a case of this? Obviously you're free to order it in yourself, but I'm not sure you'd have much luck offloading all the bottles.

If anything, this was a good learning exercise. Next time a private ordering opportunity comes up, we Windsorites should not hesitate to get in on a case together and have the LCBO ship it our way!

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

I would've liked to have tried it, but you are right it is expensive. Also, I've bought a lot of beer recently, so my cellar is pretty full. If you are into the sours and can get over to Michigan, the have been getting in some good stuff from The Bruery.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Raisy wrote:I would've liked to have tried it, but you are right it is expensive. Also, I've bought a lot of beer recently, so my cellar is pretty full. If you are into the sours and can get over to Michigan, the have been getting in some good stuff from The Bruery.
Where in Michigan do you typically go for your beer? I've picked up some good stuff from Grand Trunk Pub in Detroit on a few occasions, but have never seen anything from The Bruery there. I'm assuming there's got to be a good grocery store or party store near Detroit somewhere?

Also, would you happen to know how much The Bruery beers are selling for? I was in Seattle a few weeks back, and couldn't afford any of their stuff, besides their Autumn Maple yam beer, which I bought and haven't opened yet...

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

ECBS wrote:Where in Michigan do you typically go for your beer? I've picked up some good stuff from Grand Trunk Pub in Detroit on a few occasions, but have never seen anything from The Bruery there. I'm assuming there's got to be a good grocery store or party store near Detroit somewhere?

Also, would you happen to know how much The Bruery beers are selling for? I was in Seattle a few weeks back, and couldn't afford any of their stuff, besides their Autumn Maple yam beer, which I bought and haven't opened yet...
Places near Detroit. I've been to Champane's, Merchant's, Cloverleaf, and Holiday Market when it comes to stores. Kuhnhenn is down the street from Champane's, it's a great place to get beer when they have bottles/growlers to sell.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

ECBS wrote:Where in Michigan do you typically go for your beer? I've picked up some good stuff from Grand Trunk Pub in Detroit on a few occasions, but have never seen anything from The Bruery there. I'm assuming there's got to be a good grocery store or party store near Detroit somewhere?

I don't know anything downtown. I generally pop up to Merchants in dearborn or Champagnes in warren. bonus with champagnes is always a stop at kuhnhenn, but lately all my trips have been to merchants to pick up kegs. Champagnes generally has better prices than merchants, but the selection isn't quite as vast. champagnes also generally has lower/no bottle limits - i've bought cases of things that Merchants was selling by the bottle. The one notable exception being last year's breakfast stout release. For some bizarre reason, champagnes put a 2x 4pack limit on it - on a beer that is produced in mass quantities and available for about 6 months. I laughed this spring when they had such a backlog of it they were blowing it out at like $8/4pack with no limits. They kept sending out email about it saying "this is the last of it!", and then a few days later they'd have another shipment...