Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Founders Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

6 pack of breakfast stout! Sweet.
(Normally a 4 pack)

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

spinrsx wrote:anyone have any experience aging the breakfast stout? How long will it hold up for?
In my opinion it's best fresh. The coffee flavour fades with time and that's my favourite part. It's not horrible with age but it's becomes muted.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

I'm really excited for the Breakfast Stout. I haven't yet had a chance to enjoy it, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Can't wait. Thanks for the good news, Greg.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Droogy wrote:6 pack of breakfast stout! Sweet.
(Normally a 4 pack)
I think they recently changed Breakfast Stout to 4 packs. So it's not an Ontario-specific thing.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
(Normally a 4 pack)
I think they recently changed Breakfast Stout to 4 packs. So it's not an Ontario-specific thing.
i think you meant to say they recently changed it to a 6pack, and yeah, you're right. they announced sometime last year that it'd be in 6 packs when it switched from "specialty" to "seasonal". I can't recall if last year's BS release was in 6's or if this is the first time 'round.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ixnay on the "lineup-nay"
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TCB

Post by TCB »

Looks like a great lineup.

Bull_Schott

Post by Bull_Schott »

grub wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
(Normally a 4 pack)
i think you meant to say they recently changed it to a 6pack, and yeah, you're right. they announced sometime last year that it'd be in 6 packs when it switched from "specialty" to "seasonal". I can't recall if last year's BS release was in 6's or if this is the first time 'round.
Unfortunately though they reneged on their 6-pack plan for FBS, can't find the source news release right now, but I can attest to it as I grabbed a 4-pack 2 weeks ago.

This feature is awesome, all great beers. Dirty Bastard was my big craft revelation on my first trip to the States.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bull_Schott wrote:
grub wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I think they recently changed Breakfast Stout to 4 packs. So it's not an Ontario-specific thing.
Unfortunately though they reneged on their 6-pack plan for FBS, can't find the source news release right now, but I can attest to it as I grabbed a 4-pack 2 weeks ago.

This feature is awesome, all great beers. Dirty Bastard was my big craft revelation on my first trip to the States.
Oops! I did mean that they changed to 6 packs.

@Bull_Schott: are you sure you didn't buy a 4 pack of last year's FBS?

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Bull_Schott wrote: Unfortunately though they reneged on their 6-pack plan for FBS, can't find the source news release right now, but I can attest to it as I grabbed a 4-pack 2 weeks ago.
@Bull_Schott: are you sure you didn't buy a 4 pack of last year's FBS?
Well Im personally a bit confused about their release schedule. The current 'official' availability calendar shows FBS is available oct through feb:

but I got a four-pack in mid-september that was definitely bottled this year. I feel like they released a bit ahead of schedule; my bottle date was just a few weeks earlier than purchase date.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

instantkamera wrote: Well Im personally a bit confused about their release schedule. The current 'official' availability calendar shows FBS is available oct through feb:

but I got a four-pack in mid-september that was definitely bottled this year. I feel like they released a bit ahead of schedule; my bottle date was just a few weeks earlier than purchase date.
I was lurking around on New England Beer Advocate forums a few weeks ago as I prepared for a trip to Vermont. I recall coming across threads there where people had found recently bottled Founders Breakfast Stout in September. Perhaps with All Day IPA now in cans, it opened up space to bottle Breakfast Stout earlier? Just a thought.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

jp_jkl wrote:
instantkamera wrote: Well Im personally a bit confused about their release schedule. The current 'official' availability calendar shows FBS is available oct through feb:

I was lurking around on New England Beer Advocate forums a few weeks ago as I prepared for a trip to Vermont. I recall coming across threads there where people had found recently bottled Founders Breakfast Stout in September. Perhaps with All Day IPA now in cans, it opened up space to bottle Breakfast Stout earlier? Just a thought.
Possibly. Either way, it looks like 4pk is still the standard. Does that mean the listing for the LCBO is wrong? Who knows, it's just an open box, so it's pretty easy to put em in/take em out. Maybe Ontario is a test market (personally I dig the 4pk format).

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

instantkamera wrote:
jp_jkl wrote:

Possibly. Either way, it looks like 4pk is still the standard. Does that mean the listing for the LCBO is wrong? Who knows, it's just an open box, so it's pretty easy to put em in/take em out. Maybe Ontario is a test market (personally I dig the 4pk format).
You're right as far as I know. I was in a number of liquor stores in northern Vermont last week and they all had Breakfast Stout in 4 packs. With the except of Rubaeus and some left over Double Trouble, all the other Founders offerings were in 6 packs.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Now this is something to get excited about.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

instantkamera wrote:it looks like 4pk is still the standard. Does that mean the listing for the LCBO is wrong? Who knows, it's just an open box, so it's pretty easy to put em in/take em out...
I hear stories of people in the states swapping more expensive beers to similar 'cheaper' cartons. Bad! Bad! :( Actually I have to point out to our own LC cashiers that they're ringing in several similar but different single bottles at the same price, so that isn't helping.

Back on topic - I agree four-packs are a nice format if it improves selection and turnover/freshness without the added shelf space. I don't like if the four-pack price creeps up to the old six-pack price in a few years, which seems to be a common gripe down stateside. I am willing to pay slightly more per bottle but not 50% more.
In Beerum Veritas