Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Jonah Hex wrote:
Shame that both sets have the same product #.

The Erin Mills Mississauga LCBO only had the non-Kelpie set.
You wouldn't think creating a second product number would be that much work, but then maybe the 'BO never expects many with the Kelpie to show up and so can't be arsed.

If you can't find a set, do let me know -- I picked up two when I was at Summerhill.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I know the general feeling of most of you about Trafalgar....I'm not as hard on them. One thing I find interesting is that I rarely, if ever, read any news about them, and then one day I see a new beer from them in the LCBO.

Saw this yesterday while in an Oakville store.

TRAFALGAR NORTHERN HARVEST
LCBO 365668 | 500 mL bottle
Price: $ 5.95

There is inventory listed in 154 stores!

Oh, and yes, I did buy one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:I know the general feeling of most of you about Trafalgar....I'm not as hard on them.

LCBO 365668 | 500 mL bottle
Price: $ 5.95

Right. Trafalgar's recipe ideas are often not bad, even inventive by Ontario standards (esp looking back just 7 or 8 year ago when things were desperately lean here.) Trouble seems to be in the execution of some brews - watery or very flat beer, some downright odd brewing choices - and in the unintentionally infected-tasting beers & 'bottle volcanoes' (foaming up dramatically all over the countertop after uncapping.)
Despite these inconsistencies (which the brewer seems reluctant to address with us mere mortals) I've enjoyed some nice Trafalgar brewings over the years. They also do some Black Creek "Pioneer" styled contract brewings which are pretty fine as well, beers stylistically in the neighborhood of the Grand River & the (former) Scotch Irish traditional ales, and likewise very tasty.

To the Northern Harvest - not a bad name. This unusual style beer - old Norse 'Gotlandsdricka' - should be interesting for its use of juniper, smoked malt and cedar. What a different twist on a seasonal Warmer.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

S. St. Jeb wrote:I know the general feeling of most of you about Trafalgar....I'm not as hard on them.

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar for taking one for the team.
lister

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

lister wrote:

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar for taking one for the team.
It's really not a bad beer by Trafalgar standards. Standard dark ale (toasted malts, caramel, et al.) with some juniper thrown in. I had no trouble throwing it back, though it's not as interesting as the label description might suggest.

Of course 'not bad by Trafalgar standards' also means it's not worth anywhere near $5.95 a bottle. I guess it's a fair price to pay to satisfy my morbid curiosity (which is really the only reason I have to try new Trafalgar seasonals at this point).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

darmokandjalad wrote:Northern Harvest ... it's not as interesting as the label description might suggest....
Yeah they do tend to do that. As if not enough stuff was added to the brew to fulfil on the promised flavors.

I remember the Belgian Abbey Ale didn't taste bad at all, but it was like Rochefort 3, ie. about half as flavorful as the Roche 6. Still nice for chugging from the bottle while outside clearing snow...
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Front Street (St Lawrence) has 8 bottles of Deus if anyone's interested.

Saw two of the Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection...seems a bit pricey. Not overly, but $35 is usually what I spend per trip to the LCBO, not one product :)

Has anyone tried them? Are they worth picking up?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

admviolin wrote:Front Street (St Lawrence) has 8 bottles of Deus if anyone's interested.

Saw two of the Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection...seems a bit pricey. Not overly, but $35 is usually what I spend per trip to the LCBO, not one product :)

Has anyone tried them? Are they worth picking up?
I'm drinking the New World right now. It's tasty for sure, but at 12 bucks a bottle I would call it overpriced.

The package is a trippel, quad and a stout. I'm betting they're all good, but I doubt I get a second pack.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

admviolin wrote:Front Street (St Lawrence) has 8 bottles of Deus if anyone's interested.
Likewise, for the Brampton/Mississauga folk there were about 10 bottles at the Orion Gate, which was kind of nice. That will make a nice new year's eve bottle.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

squeaky wrote:I'm drinking the New World right now. It's tasty for sure, but at 12 bucks a bottle I would call it overpriced.
Soooo, what you're saying is....it's perfect for the Ontario market!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

velovampire wrote:
squeaky wrote:I'm drinking the New World right now. It's tasty for sure, but at 12 bucks a bottle I would call it overpriced.
More or less. We're pretty well conditioned to paying more for things as soon as they're on offer, then shunning them forever after.

At the end of the night I can say I tried all three, and I gave all three somewhere in the 3-3.5 range. All fine craft beers, but in no way worth 12 bucks each.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Actually, KELPIE was not supposed to be in the pack so if there are some out there it's probably because they ran out of one of the others. I'll check with the brewery. We're looking at the possiblity of bringing KELPIE in through Consignment as it's a natural for oyster places. Won't sell tons but I'm sure there will be interest.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

velovampire wrote:
True... but we also have Red Racer IPA for $2.45/can and Black Butte Porter for $5.20/bomber... so ....

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Now listed:

- Rochefort 10;
- Howe Sound Woolly Bugger Barley Wine;
- Renaissance Tribute Barley Wine ($9.95 for 330 mL? Really?)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

BROUCZECH PREMIUM LAGER
LCBO 118786 | 6x355 mL bottle
Price $ 13.90