Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La Trappe Quad from older LCBO order is drinking UFB now

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

KW1

La Trappe Quad from older LCBO order is drinking UFB now

Post by KW1 »

Had to post my recent experience. Of my current collection, the last La Trappe Quad release from the LCBO is just blowing away all others right now. Do it, get it, enjoy it.

To provide some perspective, my current favourite style as we go into winter is belgium dubbels, tripels, quads, sours, barley wine beers, and seasonal christmas beers. I very much enjoy a good porter and stout in between them. These were my first love, but I moved on to the others for more of the overall complexity and subtlety.

For my recent related comparators, it includes, Westmalle dubbel and tripel, Chimay blue and red, Westvleteren 12, Orval, Rochefort 8 and 10, Achel Bruin, St. Bernardus ABT 12, Gulden Draak, Cantillon (Cuvee St. Gilloise, Rose de Gambrinus, Grand Cru Bruocsella), De Ranke Kriek, Dulcis de Succubus, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Rodenbach Grand Cru and 2009 Vintage Oak, Gouden Carolus Triplel and Blue, and La Chouffe. Plus a bunch of other more basic craft beer.

It is not too surprising, as the La Trappe Quad is one of the older in my collection, proving ageing these beers makes a difference.

My most memorable other recent experience for the enthusiasts were the Liefmans Goudenband and Thomas Hardy's ale.
Last edited by KW1 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

How old was your bottle? The only La Trappe beer that ever impressed me was the barrel aged Quad.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

markaberrant wrote:How old was your bottle? The only La Trappe beer that ever impressed me was the barrel aged Quad.
Can't remember and hard to tell. My guess is a 2009 or 2010 release. The label is stamped 11:14.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah I've had aged bottles that were incredibly good.

I could do with some well-aged Westmalle Dubbel, that is a beer that will not die. Wonder if we'll see it again at Elsie B.O.?
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Not likely to see any Westmalle at the LCBO in the near future. Brewery production has peaked and demand just keeps growing so we were told not to offer it to the LCBO as they could not supply it in volume. LCBO would actually like to permanently list one of them. However, we do continue to carry both in Consignment regularly and a shipment of both has just arrived but I sell out almost as soon as it's released so we usually have a waiting list of 2 or 3 months, mostly for the Tripel. Contact me at espritagencies@sympatico.ca if you're interested.

Peter

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:Yeah I've had aged bottles that were incredibly good.

I could do with some well-aged Westmalle Dubbel, that is a beer that will not die. Wonder if we'll see it again at Elsie B.O.?
i'm going to Buffalo on Tues and will likely grab some of the big bottles of the dubbel. it is bloody great. and the tripel's always disappointing in comparison.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

atomeyes wrote:
Belgian wrote:Yeah I've had aged bottles that were incredibly good.

i'm going to Buffalo on Tues and will likely grab some of the big bottles of the dubbel. it is bloody great. and the tripel's always disappointing in comparison.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
The dubbel slays the trippel. In fact, as of late I'm finding most belgian dubbels beat out their tripel counterpart. Quads... well thats another story.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i've never been a huge fan of La Trappe, except when it was the only quad you could get on tap in Toronto.

even at the monestary, i was drinking the barrel-aged beer. perhaps it was too fresh, but i always find La Trappe to be thinner taste-wise and feel-wise when compared to the other tripels/quads out there.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I really like La Trappe, but agree it's not normally at the top of the pack. As for comments about dubbels, tripels and quads....if I could savour only one, the dubbel often is the winner. Just enjoy the flavour complexity of them so much. Too bad about Westmalle not making it back anytime soon as I only have a couple of tripels left aging.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote:I really like La Trappe, but agree it's not normally at the top of the pack. As for comments about dubbels, tripels and quads....if I could savour only one, the dubbel often is the winner. Just enjoy the flavour complexity of them so much. Too bad about Westmalle not making it back anytime soon as I only have a couple of tripels left aging.
except Rochforte 8 vs 10.
8's just a watered-down 10 taste-wise. less impactful, less of a wow factor.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I've found the trappist dubbels and quads quite awesome. My favourite style overall. The La Trappe Quad is definitely different from the other quads, with more esters giving a very notable banana flavour in the profile imo. While Rochefort 10 and WV12 have been my traditional favourite for a heavier more complex flavour quad, ultimately the trappe quad makes for a very nice change of pace. I find it better than Chimay blue too. As mentioned above, when aged I've found the La Trappe Quad really comes into it's own with a unique and great flavour profile. More memorable to me than fresh Rochefort or WV, unless you rarely get or try them.

I wouldn't call Rochefort 8 a watered down 10. More of a basic 10 in flavour, less complex, but great in what is brings to the palate. Love it more than the 10 at times as well. Depends on my mood. And variety is the spice of life.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A good aged bottle of Trappe Quad is a bit like dried fruits and apple butter. First one I ever had blew me away, showing so many layers.

Belgian beers can be utterly amazing, or just a chore to drink.
In Beerum Veritas