Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

BlackRedGold wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Despite the fact that the beer is actually 4.2%???
Yup. In order to call your beer "light" it must be 4% or under. So we have to either not call it Light, or change the label & box to say 4%. Since the LCBO allows a 0.5% variance from label to product then we don't have to change the beer, just the box/label.
Why do they carry 6% Bud Light Platinum on their shelves then?
Probably because "Bud Light" is it's own brand and registered trademark, or some other such bullshit.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

instantkamera wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Right. I agree. But F+M is not lying.
No, the LCBO is forcing them to lie.
Well they're not forcing us... we could just not call it Light. :o
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
instantkamera wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Right. I agree. But F+M is not lying.
No, the LCBO is forcing them to lie.
Well they're not forcing us... we could just not call it Light. :o
Just change it to "Leight" or "Lightish"...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

"Less Dark"

or maybe "Paler"?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Stonehammer Bright!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Light-ish!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Light-ish!
Stonehammer
Light-ish

Just add a tiny sticker with -ish.
lister

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Stonehammer Light Platinum

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

midlife crisis wrote: I do love your Imperial Light idea. Up there with Robust Porter and other absurdities of over-categorization.
The differences between a Robust and Brown Porter are equivalent to the distinctions between an American and English IPA. If you don't agree, you're not paying attention.

RE: the Stone Hammer label. I would say it's unbelievable but the LCBO has demonstrated that anything is possible when it comes to their bureaucratic wrangling. I look forward to buying that pack, though, as I really enjoy three of the four beers offered and the Light is an okay session beer.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Thank you, I am "paying attention". A robust Porter, or extra-stout Porter, is a stout, at least historically and as far as I am concerned. I can see that others disagree. I just find these things to be a bit meaningless when they are employed too rigidly or make overly fine distinctions.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

midlife crisis wrote:Thank you, I am "paying attention". A robust Porter, or extra-stout Porter, is a stout, at least historically and as far as I am concerned. I can see that others disagree. I just find these things to be a bit meaningless when they are employed too rigidly or make overly fine distinctions.
Black Butte is a stout?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

cratez wrote:RE: the Stone Hammer label. I would say it's unbelievable but the LCBO has demonstrated that anything is possible when it comes to their bureaucratic wrangling. I look forward to buying that pack, though, as I really enjoy three of the four beers offered and the Light is an okay session beer.
Well to add to the hilarity (or anger, depending on what side of the beer game you're on) this was only a seasonal listing, going from the beginning of December to the end of March. As of right now, and as far as I know, the LCBO is not willing to have our pack extended to the end of April even though it was their mistake.

So yeah, my advise would be this: if you see a pack with an expiry date that is after FEB 20, buy it now as it's super fresh and likely the last of the pack before the delist. If you see the one that is dated FEB 20 (packaged when we were ready to ship in early Dec), the Stout, Dark and Pils should be fine, however the Light-ish doesn't hold up as well in that last month, if you ask me. My opinion, not the brewery's.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:Orwellian.
Not to mention Kafkaesque, I'm picturing 'The Trial.'

But didn't F&M know in advance? I mean the 4% labeling regs, not the byzantine ways of the Board.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Belgian wrote:

But didn't F&M know in advance? I mean the 4% labeling regs, not the byzantine ways of the Board.
No, we didn't know. Been selling that beer as Light for years. They don't have a problem with that until it's on their selves. But as I said, our 6 pack has been in the system for 8+ months with no issue. Basically they didn't catch their error back then, we never knew this was an issue, and now that they've caught it they've delayed our time-sensitive listing now.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Belgian wrote:

No, we didn't know. Been selling that beer as Light for years. They don't have a problem with that until it's on their shelves. But as I said, our 6 pack has been in the system for 8+ months with no issue. Basically they didn't catch their error back then, we never knew this was an issue, and now that they've caught it they've delayed our time-sensitive listing now.
My greatest concern is why Matt spells light with a capital "L". Far too much respect for light beers I think. And this comes from a guy who makes a 3.5% beer. Matt is a young fella which profiles him with all the young "I Need Strong Beer" geeks (including Belgian _ nyuk, nyuk, nyuk). The latest trend to "session" beers in the states is the natural evolution from the over reaction to the natural guilt to having created coors light. (notice: no caps)