Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Beer of the Month Club

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Ontario Beer of the Month Club

Post by zane9 »

Mom 'n Hops announced the launch of this new club. "Savvy Hip Hops delivers original, hard-to-find craft beers straight to your door."

http://www.momandhops.ca/new-craft-beer ... s-ontario/

I hope it's all totally legal (i.e. not doing an end-run around any LCBO rules).

I'm sure the company did its due dligence, but...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Somewhat interesting.

I am surprised they can "deliver beer by courier to my front door" though.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Somewhat interesting.

We signed up for a Trius wine delivery on one of our early Niagara tours, think they used Canada Post or Purolator to deliver, so I don't see any legal issue of having a courier do the same.

Bulk courier services are about as cheap as Canada Post parcel so why not
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Also I noticed Sawdust City mentioned they are part of another club called Amazing Clubs of Canada that offers a similar service
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

icemachine wrote:Also I noticed Sawdust City mentioned they are part of another club called Amazing Clubs of Canada that offers a similar service
Yep and they are about to release bottles of Bloody LDVTU through that club.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Somewhat interesting.

If Dial-a-bottle services are legal, I don't see why these ones shouldn't be.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here's the source if anyone's interested. I guess press releases are all you need to get a blog post nowadays! :)
Ontario’s first craft-beer-of-the-month club delivers hard to find beers direct from brewery
Savvy Company launches ‘Savvy Hip Hops’

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Ottawa, ON (January 30, 2014) Ottawa-based Savvy Company just made it easier for Ontario’s beer enthusiasts to enjoy the growing number of craft beers being produced in Ontario. Today Savvy Company has launched Ontario’s first craft-beer-of-the-month club that delivers craft beers to your doorstep. Known for its wine expertise and innovative wine events, Savvy Company has expanded its business and is working with craft breweries to create innovative ways to reach beer-thirsty Ontarians.

“The craft beer industry in Canada is exploding and breweries are winning national and international competitions,” says Savvy Company president & sommelier Debbie Trenholm. “We run a very successful Savvy Selections wine-of-the-month club and many of those subscribers, as well as clients, have asked for a similar club for beer. We seize every opportunity to wave the Canadian flag, so launching Savvy Hip Hops was natural.”

Every month Savvy Hip Hops subscribers will receive the Savvy Hip Hops Taste Case delivered directly from the brewery to their home or office on the Friday closest to the 24th (as in 2-4) of the month. The Taste Case will be an assortment of bottles, cans & growlers of beers on tap and in tank at the featured brewery. The beers will be selected by a team of beer industry bloggers, media & craft beer enthusiasts who are part of the ‘Savvy Brew Crew’. In collaboration with the featured brewmaster, together they will create a compilation of beers that are only available at the brewery or rarely found at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) and The Beer Store.

To further the enjoyment of the beers in the Savvy Hip Hops Taste Case, subscribers will receive the monthly ‘Beer Backstory’, a mini-magazine including a relaxed interview with the brewmaster and brewery owners, trivia about the featured beers, the brewery’s staff favorite foods to enjoy with the selected beers and recipes with the beers as the ingredients or to serve with a pint.

“Savvy Hip Hops is ingenious.” says Kichesippi Beer Co. co-owner Paul Meek. “We have been very supportive of Savvy Company from day one when Debbie and her team began expanding their business into craft beers. We are thrilled to celebrate our fourth year in business by being the Savvy Hip Hops featured brewery in May.”

“With all of the new craft breweries opening, consumers can be overwhelmed with the array of choice”, states Niagara Oast House Brewers co-owner Mike Berlis, “A subscription to Savvy Hip Hops assures anyone who is intrigued by beer that they will have a delicious experience in their own home.”
The feature breweries for 2014 include:
February – Beau’s All Natural (Vankleek Hill)
March – Beyond the Pale (Ottawa)
April – Oast House Brewers (Niagara)
May – Kichesippi Beer Co (Ottawa)
June – Big Rig Brewery (Ottawa)
July – Barley Days Brewery (Prince Edward County)
August - Perth Brewery (Perth)
…and more Ontario breweries to be announced

To subscribe for four, six, 12 months or longer, visit www.savvyhiphops.ca

“I can’t think of any better way to receive craft beer than have it hand-picked and delivered to your doorstep” comments Steve Beauchesne, co-owner of Beau’s All Natural Brewing Co. “Savvy Hip Hops is the equivalent of having your birthday every month.”

According to the Ontario Craft Breweries, there are over 60 breweries in Ontario and the craft beer industry is growing across Canada. At launch, Savvy Hip Hops will focus on Ontario breweries delivered to Ontario residents. “The interest in craft beers is astounding. We have people who have subscribed to Savvy Hip Hops & we haven’t even launched yet…and one is an Ontario winemaker!’ exclaims Trenholm.

-30-

More about Savvy Company
Savvy Company specializes in creative social experiences – whether making the enjoyment of wine accessible to all, exploring the worlds of craft beer or discovering artisan cheeses. Their team of accredited Sommeliers delight in designing wine, beer and food events, shining the spotlight on the people who make them. Their Savvy Selections wine of the month club is Ontario’s largest featuring Ontario wines not available in the LCBO and delivered directly to the subscriber’s home or office. Savvy Hip Hops is Ontario’s first craft beer of the month club and is rapidly growing in popularity. Visit www.savvycompany.ca, follow @SavvyCompany or @SavvyHipHops on Twitter.

Media Contact:
Debbie Trenholm
Founder & Sommelier
Savvy Company
debbie@savvycompany.ca
@savvydebbie
613.SAVVYCO (613.728.8926)

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Not exactly the finest list of breweries across the province. Beyond the Pale and Oast are the only standouts. On the other end of the scale, I thought Perth Brewery only did clones of macro beers.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Wasn't the Perth brewery a former BYO?
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Swampale wrote:Wasn't the Perth brewery a former BYO?
Yes. I believe the BYO operation is still running, but they also launched a commercial brewery last year.

And in response to BlackRedGold - While I can't comment on the quality as I've not tried any Perth beers, they've been brewing more than just macro-clones. Their latest beer in an 82 IBU IPA, for example.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Didn't Nickelbrook (Better Bitters) start as a BYO? Good things can happen.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Anyone sign up for this service?
Any reports on what type of beer you've been receiving?

Wondering if it is worth the price and whether you're getting LCBO beers or special stuff.

Cheers!