Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quebec City

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I'm embarking on a Quebec junket next week that will land me in Quebec 'City' by the weekend. Lot's of good suggestions in this thread. I'm most intrigued by the Microbrasserie de l'Ile d'Orleans.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Anything new in Quebec City? Heading there for a Carnaval weekend trip on Friday.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Got a couple of updates from a nice weekend in Quebec for the Carnaval.

Still not terribly common to find craft brew around, even though the number and quality of Quebec micros continue to grow. Most spots that are beer friendly stick to the likes of McAuslan, Belle Gueule, Cheval Blanc on tap.

Some highlights:

- There's a spot within the fortifications that used to be Chantateuil which is now Sapristi (right within the walls on Saint-Jean). Double roomed bar/resto with the usuals on tap, but four Trou du Diable in bottle (presently Sang D'Encre, MacTavish, Pitoune & seasonal La Grivoise). Nice to see, especially within the walls and a very reasonable $6.50 for 375mL bottle. A little bizarre to see Mad & Noisy Hops & Bolts on tap.

- Bateau de Nuit is back, although I wasn't able to make it there. At 275 Saint-Jean, their website hasn't been updated since 2010 but they keep their Facebook page up to date with what's available. Definitely need to check it out next time.

https://www.facebook.com/bateaudenuit.bagnez

From some research it looks like there's a new brewpub in the city, La Souche. Unfortunately didn't make it, it's in Limoulou, which looks like about a 30 minute walk from the old town. Again, hope to check out next time.

http://www.lasouche.ca

Hit some of the regular spots again - La Barberie is always fun (bring your own snacks) and Korrigane has matured into a really nice place - about 5 beers on tap, they had a couple of guest DDC on tap and a full menu, something quite welcome for a beer bar in QC.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Cass wrote: A little bizarre to see Mad & Noisy Hops & Bolts on tap.
I've noticed that Creemore is getting a huge push in Quebec. Probably because there's a lack of non-Quebec faux microbreweries to compete with there.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

BlackRedGold wrote:
Cass wrote: A little bizarre to see Mad & Noisy Hops & Bolts on tap.
I've noticed that Creemore is getting a huge push in Quebec. Probably because there's a lack of non-Quebec faux microbreweries to compete with there.
Creemore and Robson Street Ales are getting massive pushes in Quebec right now.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Any updates on spots? I'll be there a few different nights in the next few weeks.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Had a perfectly serviceable, albeit expensive meal at Pub St Alexandre. Tap list is nothing to write home about. Bottle list reasonably impressive, but insanely expensive, didn't bother.

Stopped ino Bateau de nuit... what a weird (in a mostly good way) spot. Heavy metal ambience, maybe more taps than seats. Taps were all QC. Neat spot, but definitely testosterone heavy.

Right next to it there was a place called Le Projet. I just popped my head in as it had already been a late enough night. Seemed like a really nice spot with maybe 15-20 QC taps. I'd head back there first on my next trip.