Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Beau's Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
But considering people paid $12 for a Vienna Lager from LoB,.
I don't know how any of their stuff sells.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Don't know if you tried it (probably not given the comments above) but I thought it was very good. Given the price I only had one, however.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

on the bright side, people in Ottawa will finally get their hands on the 'brewery feature' beers before the people in Toronto

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

midlife crisis wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Don't know if you tried it (probably not given the comments above) but I thought it was very good. Given the price I only had one, however.
I did try that one and I agree with you that is was a pretty good beer, but twice the price it should be. The only reason I tried it is because someone else bought a bottle and shared it with me over Christmas.

In general, their prices are out to lunch and their beer is generally below average. In my opinion, of course.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Their stuff can be variable, yes. The last thing I will say on this OT, though, is that the brewery is in a very nice situation in the village of Baysville and is one of the most pleasant to visit in Ontario if you get the chance, with a sweet little (licensed) patio/beer garden attached. Outstanding fish and chips available from a shop just across the street too.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

spinrsx wrote:on the bright side, people in Ottawa will finally get their hands on the 'brewery feature' beers before the people in Toronto
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

midlife crisis wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
I would have tried it if it was priced accordingly. I try anything from anyone, (price dependent, of course!)... even Trafalgar.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beau's are growing quickly. If they made outstanding brews I'd be their most vocal supporter. As it is I believe they're diluting the potential growing market with a flood of somewhat middling product, and perhaps spoiling the best efforts of other Ontario craft brewers overall to raise our collective profile.

I side with the view too much money and too uncertain.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:10 bucks a piece? Yeah, I'll pass.
I've boycotted Beau's because their quality is so inferior to what their prices suggest. It began after I emailed them with my complaints and promptly received what could only be considered a swift, snobby, and pretentious middle finger. I haven't made a purchase since the insanely overpriced and severely lacking in quality Strong Patrick last year around St. Patrick's Day.

I LOL in the face of Beau's when I can purchase an imported, larger bottle of Van De Keizer Blauw, or more recently the Liefmans Goudenband (among others) for less than one of those undoubtedly piece of shit Beau's beers in the original post.

Fuck Beau's. Fuck 'em. And I strongpatrickly suggest everyone else do the same.

heebes

Post by heebes »

i really have no time for Beau's. what a waste of a good feature. mediocre beers priced way too high. its a shame people are buying them for their looks and thinking thats the best of the craft beer market...

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Beau's really reminds me of Dogfish Head in a couple of ways. Whenever I'm state side I'm always tempted by $12.99 bottles of whatever Dogfish thing (Bitches' Brew for example), but I can never justify the price when there are so many other tasty things for $2 a bottle (single 12 oz). They both have well branded, unique beers in larger format bottles, but ones that are sometimes misses and other times just hard to justify within most beer budgets. The key difference, I guess, is that Dogfish has 6-packs of affordable IPAs and also sell some of their beers in smaller bottles. In that way, I wish Beau's had some more "everyday" offerings besides Lug.

I like both breweries, it's just unfortunate that both their formats and prices tend to price me out of being able to try most of their beers in anything other than sample sizes at bars.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

People seem to like them. They get lots of votes from the masses in the various best Ontario brewery competitions. 6 years in a row they've taken the golden tap award for best microbrewery. Which doesn't mean they're particularly good or anything, but they do seem to have a broad enough base of appeal that I think people buy their beer not just because it's fancy looking, but because they actually like it.

I'd wager they're one of the best selling craft brews the LCBO carry. It's a downer for us, but I can see why the LCBO chose them for a feature.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

heebes wrote: i really have no time for Beau's. what a waste of a good feature. mediocre beers priced way too high. its a shame people are buying them for their looks and thinking thats the best of the craft beer market.
My thoughts exactly.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:I've boycotted Beau's because their quality is so inferior to what their prices suggest. It began after I emailed them with my complaints and promptly received what could only be considered a swift, snobby, and pretentious middle finger.
I didn't see your and the respondent's private email exchange - the context - but generally these kinds of attitudes surprise me. A company actually making a point of saying, for example what they think they do well, or that other customers have no complaints, implying you're wrong. By essentially invalidating your fair comment (as a person taking time to voice a concern) a business is saying your one voice does not matter and basically going out of their way to flip you off on an ego trip.

Disappointing because I only comment to benefit the business and its customers.
In Beerum Veritas

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

The Beau's crew are the nicest people I've met in the beer industry. Not kidding. It's half the reason I still bother with them. They love their brand and product they've put a lot of effort into. So, I'm surprised they'd send anyone a testy email regarding their product, but one person is one person...I don't know the context behind it. They're really great people.