Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jprime

Post by jprime »

matt7215 wrote:Working my way through a sixer of Muskoka Detour
Save one for me please!!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Hopslam I picked up at the brewery yesterday.

Bottled two weeks ago. Not fresh enough. Should just drain pour it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend in London and Port Huron:
Kyle Teichert's Brett Lambicus Belgian Pale Ale (bottle)
Black Oak Triple Chocolate Cherry Stout (bottle)
Muskoka Mad Tom IPA (can)
Grand River Enigma Black Lager (draught)
Forked River Marble Rye IPA (draught)
Wellington Sputnik Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS (draught)
Bellwoods Cat Lady IPA (draught)
Short's Controversi-ALE (draught)
Bell's HopSlam Ale (draught)
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (bottle)
Short's Huma Lupa Licious IPA (bottle)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beau's Chocolate-marshmallow-hemp stout “Ellsmere’s Regret”
Beau's Bog Water

These wacky new 'craft beers' taste sweet & have funny names! Both are pretty good to offset the housemade hot sauce at Hogtown Smoke on glorious piles of BBQ meat.
In Beerum Veritas

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Last two nights in Antwerp/Brussels.

Bag-in-Box Cantillon 1 Year Lambic and Kriek
Cantillon Fou Foune 2013
Cantillon LP Gueuze 2010
Cantillon LP Kriek 2011
Cantillon Zwanze 2012
Westbrook IPA
Evil Twin Spicy Nachos
Timmermans Geuze

I knew bag-in-box Cantillon existed, I never thought I'd actually come across it.

The drink in menu at the brewery is pretty wild right now. All the LP's, Fou, Zwanze 12/13, Vig, St Lam, 06 Gueuze.

heebes

Post by heebes »

matt7215 wrote:Working my way through a sixer of Muskoka Detour
hell yea

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Fullers Vintage Ale 2013 Editiion - likeable brew, VERY English - a barley wine-like hop bitterness, some dense pale fruit sweetness and deep lemon, and yes maybe the previously mentioned 'Rocheforty' overtones of maltiness. Overall though something I probably won't be going back for as I have on some other years.

Enjoyed with a proper cast-iron seared rib-eye steak, wow if you've never tried this google the recipes! You dry-sear each side then toss it in the 500º oven to 'caramelize' butter over it. The Meat Dept. on Danforth @ Broadview has scary good cuts & I'll be back.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The Meat Dept. is a tremendous butcher shop. I especially recommend their dry-aged steaks that come in vacuum-sealed packs (for reasons that escape me, I just really like the steaks) and the house-marinated flank steaks. Oh, and if you know anyone who isn't into the beef thing and you're doing a BBQ try their turducken burgers. They're outstanding, just be careful not to overcook them.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few nights at home:
2012 Orval Trappist Ale
2013 Victory Old Horizontal
2014 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
Belgian wrote: The Meat Dept. on Danforth @ Broadview has scary good cuts & I'll be back.
squeaky wrote: I especially recommend their dry-aged steaks that come in vacuum-sealed packs (for reasons that escape me, I just really like the steaks) and the house-marinated flank steaks. Oh, and if you know anyone who isn't into the beef thing and you're doing a BBQ try their turducken burgers. They're outstanding, just be careful not to overcook them.
Thanks for the tips guys. Definitely gonna check this place out.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Bumming around Cantillon all week proved to be beneficial in terms of knocking out a mega whale.

Soleil de Minuit.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

With all the talk on that thread about new school and old in brewing, and many younger enthusiasts on the side of fruit beers, I went for one I wouldn't normally try, cask Bellwoods Hellwoods with tart cherries, at Volo recently. I must say this was very good. The cherry taste wasn't too prominent and fit in well with the rest. Strong of course so 5 oz. was enough after a pint of another beer. A brewer's manual from the late 1700's advises to add "elderberry" to young porter to emulate the taste of aged porter - so this was in the back of my mind too.

Side Launch Dark Lager (Dunkel). This is the same recipe as Michael made all those years ago on Victoria Street. It came beautifully limpid with an autumnal, brown-reddish colour. The great thing about it is the tease between the dry and the sweet, the dark malts seem to alternate one to the other and the result is great drinkability. The hops do their job of underpinning the drink so to speak, but don't shout out, as is correct for the dunkel style. It came ice cold and IMO its best merits came out after letting it sit for about 10 minutes. It's a Toronto classic and good to see it back.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Gary means Denison's Dunkel recipe, nice I'll look for that any time it's avail!

^^ and don't forget Black Oak Double Chocolate Cherry stout is a classic local, long before schmendy Bellwoods did cherry stout ;) Ages tremendously.

Now - as in presently - Buxton Imperial Black Ale - as the G-rock said, what a nice juicy grapefruit hop taste and plenty of it, while it doesn't become an acerbic palate destroyer. The dark malt secures the balance nicely in place with some sweet chocolate liqueur in the BG, if the appearance did not stylistically bias you this would occur as just a good strong IPA with unusually solid fruit and malt flavors. Truly a pleasure and not an academic exercise.
+ juicy T-bone from Cumbrae Farms, sooo good...
In Beerum Veritas

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Grassroots Brother Soigne. yum.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Kekumba wrote:Bumming around Cantillon all week proved to be beneficial in terms of knocking out a mega whale.

Soleil de Minuit.
I hope you shared it with worthy BT'ers.

EDIT: Oh and yah, uber jealous... have fun!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Alexander Keith's Galaxy Single Hop, the third in the single hop series. Not bad, good malt character (heavier body than the first two releases), big hop character and apparent dry hop taste. (I wonder if it is pasteurized). Good pineapple yeast notes which you get even in regular Keith's, but it's more intensified here. Best yet in the series. A good effort but Galaxy is Galaxy… I'd like to see their Keith's Golding, that would produce a much better beer IMO.

Leffe Brune: Haven't had it in a number of years, this is from the bottle but very fresh. It still has the banana cinnamon notes it always did but the fresher the beer is, the more subtle I find they are (oddly perhaps) and I like this. A very good effort from a big commercial brewery.

Gary
Gary Gillman