Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Harry Porter and the Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Harry Porter and the Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans

Post by atomeyes »

just had a bottle from the LCBO.

before i post my comments, just hoping to hear from others who've had it on tap or bottle before and what they think of this release.
i was not overly impressed

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Had this on tap 3+ years ago, in addition to a bottle from the brewery 2+ years ago. Was much, much better then than it is now. Fairly average I thought.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Those Rogue-ish Great Lakers...
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

liamt07 wrote:Had this on tap 3+ years ago, in addition to a bottle from the brewery 2+ years ago. Was much, much better then than it is now. Fairly average I thought.
Yeah I agree. Just way too much vanilla in it for me. I actually poured this - and I love the "base beer", the plain Harry Porter. Maybe it needs to age or something.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had this either last year or the year before and liked it just fine. It definitely had plenty of vanilla, but I wasn't bothered by it.

It seems like they're doing a whole slew of variations this year. Has anyone tried them?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

squeaky wrote:I had this either last year or the year before and liked it just fine.
Me too! But it seemed quite a bit different (to me) this year - that is the point.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Haven't tried these new bottles (was it always 6%?) but I remember not long ago, confusing the base beer for this version, because it seems like Harry Porter (the original) had a bit of "bourbony, vanillay" qualitities. Especially on cask.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Liked it, though the base beer is pretty good on its own. Only got subtle vanilla bean.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

before i pooped on it, i wanted to see what others thought.

full disclosure: Deschutes Black Butte porter released half a year ago was not my cup of tea. other than mouth feel, i thought it was a clean but boring porter. little to no complexity. didn't get the hype. so perhaps it's a "to each his own" thing.

bought a bottle yesterday from the 'BO. split it between my wife and i because, yeah, i'm nice. neither of us overly impressed. "It's ok," she said. no depth. vanilla tastes extracty. mouthfeel wasn't there.

i thought this was a pretty tasty (not mind blowing) porter when i had it previously on tap. now, i'd say that it's a beer that i could comfortably serve to my 70 year old dad and know that he will like it because it is pretty easy to drink. otherwise, it misses what I want in a porter.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

JeffPorter wrote:was it always 6%?
The Project X batch, which I loved, had 30 IBU and came in at 7% ABV. Will have to pick up one to see how much it's changed.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

skaghevn wrote:
The Project X batch, which I loved, had 30 IBU and came in at 7% ABV. Will have to pick up one to see how much it's changed.
I enjoyed the 7% Project X batch too, the one I had was barrel aged. This one is not ("bourbon soaked"?), I didn't taste any bourbon in it. Not nearly as intense as the Project X batch. Still a good porter.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

deepeary wrote:
skaghevn wrote:
I enjoyed the 7% Project X batch too, the one I had was barrel aged. This one is not ("bourbon soaked"?)
The 7% barrel-aged version was Vanilla Bourbon Porter, which was a different beer - a porter aged in a bourbon cask with vanilla beans: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/great-lake ... er/235296/

Harry Porter & The Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans has never been barrel aged. It has vanilla beans that have been soaked in bourbon added during conditioning, along with some pure vanilla extract. I believe it's always been 6% as well. At least that's what the Rate Beer entry says - http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/great-lake ... an/140072/

DIfferent processes, different names, different abv - different beers.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote:before i pooped on it, i wanted to see what others thought.

full disclosure: Deschutes Black Butte porter released half a year ago was not my cup of tea. other than mouth feel, i thought it was a clean but boring porter. little to no complexity. didn't get the hype. so perhaps it's a "to each his own" thing.

bought a bottle yesterday from the 'BO. split it between my wife and i because, yeah, i'm nice. neither of us overly impressed. "It's ok," she said. no depth. vanilla tastes extracty. mouthfeel wasn't there.

i thought this was a pretty tasty (not mind blowing) porter when i had it previously on tap. now, i'd say that it's a beer that i could comfortably serve to my 70 year old dad and know that he will like it because it is pretty easy to drink. otherwise, it misses what I want in a porter.
Deschutes was also not my thing, per se, compared to the awesomeness of the founders porter. Harry Porter (the canned version right now) is pretty great.

I dunno. There seems to be more "Vanilla Bean" here and less "Bourbon Soaked". Reminds me a bit of an amped up version of that Box Steam Funnel Blower. A pretty good beer, but I think I prefer the original version to this. The original seems more...robust...

Not quite what I remembered it being, but I rarely trust my memory.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

GregClow wrote: Harry Porter & The Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Beans has never been barrel aged. It has vanilla beans that have been soaked in bourbon added during conditioning, along with some pure vanilla extract. I believe it's always been 6% as well. At least that's what the Rate Beer entry says - http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/great-lake ... an/140072/
The Project X tag (yes, I still have it :oops: ) says the HPATBSVB was 7%.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I thought this was good tonight, immediate vanilla flavors that blend in well and a hint of richness from either the bourbon or the malts. Cask at Castro's Lounge on Queen St. East.
In Beerum Veritas