Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Windsor restauranteur launches Beer Store boycott

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

Windsor restauranteur launches Beer Store boycott

Post by Uncle Bobby »

::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

awesome. i'll have to look this place up next time i'm in windsor.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

I like these comments put together...
Members of Ontario’s Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs expressed surprise on learning last month of the price differential between what licencees pay at The Beer Store for premium brands and what the public is charged. The Canadian Restaurants and Foodservices Association presented a chart showing a 24-pack of Molson Canadian, for example, costs the public $34.95 while a licencee pays $44.75, and a 24-pack of Labatt Blue cost the public $29.95 and a licencee $44.75 — a markup of almost 50 per cent.
But a spokesman for The Beer Store, which operates 440 retail stores across Ontario serving more than 16,000 licenced customers, said don’t blame his company.

“It’s not a markup from The Beer Store … we’re not involved in setting the prices,” said Jeff Newton. He said the brewers themselves determine what’s charged, and they pay The Beer Store to be their sales agent.
The big breweries really think Ontario beer customers are stupid.

The Beer Store crying that they aren't the ones setting the prices when they're owned by the ones who are setting the prices is such a load of crap.

Does Jeff Newton not know who owns his employer? Or is he stupid enough to think that the people of Ontario don't?

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

"Or is he stupid enough to think that the people of Ontario don't?"

This.

The number of people I speak to or about who think that TBS is government owned and operated like the LCBO boggles my mind. When I tell them the facts they are always in shock.

I think it's TBS's little "secret" and they're actually worried that people will find out and be put out of business.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's 'restaurateur'.

:D They use both the right spelling and the 'this is not even a word' spelling in the link tag.
In Beerum Veritas

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

I love it.. And I'm surprised that I've never heard of the place, the Mrs. is from Windsor and we go every couple of months, always trying new and interesting places. Windsor is a great food city, good to hear they've got the brews to go with it

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

I don't doubt that more restaurants follow suit. Just wondering if their taps will operate the same way, or be influenced by reps.
While I applaud the effort by Rino, he has always been one of those people to thrust themselves into the public eye through the press.
A sh*t disturber and the personality of sandpaper, but I do side with him on this particular point.