Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2014 Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TCB

Post by TCB »

spinrsx wrote:I was hoping we'd get that Brooklyn Sorachi Ace that was supposed to come a few features ago but never did..
Rumour has it that it will be available end of May.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

TCB wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I was hoping we'd get that Brooklyn Sorachi Ace that was supposed to come a few features ago but never did..
hope this ends up happening, it's one of my favourite beers. And as I recall, it was going to listed at a very reasonable price.

TCB

Post by TCB »

spinrsx wrote:
TCB wrote:
hope this ends up happening, it's one of my favourite beers. And as I recall, it was going to listed at a very reasonable price.
It is a good bet to happen. The reason the plug was pulled the first time was because the bottle has thick glass and the 12x750ml cases were going to be slightly over the weight limit allowed by LCBO. The issue has been resolved but the price may be a little higher based on the Canadian dollar crash and extra steps required to make it compliant.

TerraFirma

Post by TerraFirma »

boney wrote:I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone and I am honestly interested in the response....why is this release boring/poor? It seems like there is a decent mix of styles, many with fairly good ratings. Not defending the LCBO either. I'm just interested in what people want in their the seasonal releases.

I wonder what happened to the St. Louis Fond Tradition? It's a good utility gueuze that I was looking forward to stocking up on.

The St Louis Fond will be part of the summer release, 600 cases of 12x375ml, scheduled for release on May 26th.
Last edited by TerraFirma on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerraFirma

Post by TerraFirma »

GregClow wrote:
spinrsx wrote:isn't Kasteel 11% ABV?
As I noted above, this was a quick cut & paste from the LCBO-provide spreadsheet, which sometimes has mistakes or typos.

I'll do some double checking and clean it up soon.

UPDATE: Given that the overall theme of this release is supposed to be "hoppy & sour beers" (saw that mentioned somewhere, I think...), I wouldn't be surprised if the Kasteel beer is actually Kasteel Hoppy, which is 6.5%:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kasteel-hoppy/205735/

I'll look into it.
The Kasteel being released is the Donker @ 11%, 300 cases of 24x330ml.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this is listed now:

MONTAGNARDE AMBER EXTRA STRONG ALE
LCBO 356212 | 330 mL bottle

Price $ 3.00

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote:
GreatCop wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Have we had the St. Feullian Saison before? It seems...familiar?
I dunno, but that's the one I'm probably most excited about
On tap, Ginger Man NYC. Pretty damn tasty but sweet, I wonder if bottle aging a few would be a good idea to balance it out (bottle re-fermentation eating up residual sugars?)

Liefmans Cuvée Brut / 375 / 6 / $5.95 - we had this in 2007 ($4.95) and I drank an aged 2007 in 2011 - it cellars well, opening Goudenband-like in aroma with added long complex cherry replays that build on the palate. A class act with good tartness, not a sugar bomb. Was originally called Liefman's Kriek - the word Kriek refers to the Morello cherries used, not the beer style which is often a Lambic not a Flemish Sour.
I tried both of these beers from this release. I incredibly enjoyed the Saison. I had previously had it on tap, and I liked it even better in the bottle…nice balance of sweetness with the peppery flavour of the saison yeast.

The Liefmans Cuvee was simply awful for me. I couldn't even finish it as it was so sickly sweet. I can't imagine any amount of bottle aging will eat up enough of the sugar for me to like it.

Just my humble opinion.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

TCB wrote: It is a good bet to happen. The reason the plug was pulled the first time was because the bottle has thick glass and the 12x750ml cases were going to be slightly over the weight limit allowed by LCBO. The issue has been resolved but the price may be a little higher based on the Canadian dollar crash and extra steps required to make it compliant.
What??? The LCBO has regulations concerning the thickness of bottles/weight of a case? Bizarre.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Yes, the maximum acceptable case weight is 18.9 KG. Large format beers and sparkling wines will exceed this limit. They don't want employees to hurt themselves lifting such heavy cases.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

not a single beer from this release had made it to Ottawa yet.. other than the Beau's beers (meh), I haven't had a reason to go to the lcbo in over a month. Oh well, I'm saving $ I guess..

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Has anyone tried any of the IPAs from this release? I've heard strangely little feedback on any of these beers.

I got a few St Feuilliens. They're nice, but a little yeasty for my tastes. I'm going to set a few aside and see how they change with 6 months or a year on them.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:not a single beer from this release had made it to Ottawa yet.. other than the Beau's beers (meh), I haven't had a reason to go to the lcbo in over a month. Oh well, I'm saving $ I guess..
4 of them are in Hamilton and of course no Beau's feature.

I also haven't bought anything other than Brooklyn Irish Stout.

Looks like if we get what's been mentioned its not a bad thing to be saving.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

spinrsx wrote:not a single beer from this release had made it to Ottawa yet.. other than the Beau's beers (meh), I haven't had a reason to go to the lcbo in over a month. Oh well, I'm saving $ I guess..
The St Feuillien, Boon and Abbaye des Rocs are at Bank & Walkley now.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

thanks!
Ceecee wrote:
The St Feuillien, Boon and Abbaye des Rocs are at Bank & Walkley now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Liefmans Cuvée Brut is at Queen / Spadina, with an expiry date of 2023!! The only sweetener listed is fructose... I like to avoid artificial sweetners. I will be aging some for 2-5 years - and I expect exceptional layered tart-sweet cherry and stone cellar flavors to develop in this Flemish sour brown 'kriek cherry' flavored ale.

The new Beau's BA stuff is back in stock too, will try the Pepper Saison that got some OK reviews.
In Beerum Veritas