Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Russian Gun Imperial Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Russian Gun Imperial Stout

Post by G.M. Gillman »

When the formulation changed to a spiced beer, I felt this was a step backwards. Russian Gun as it was before was great: I didn't see the need to change. The first bottling of the spiced version put me off, the taste was very clovey (or some other spice or combination) and it didn't work, IMO.

I waited a year or two I guess before trying it again and find the current bottling (17/12/13) much improved. It has a rich, stout taste and while a spice is still included (I think clove again or similar), it is a more subtle note than initially. Given druthers though, I'd ditch the spices, it isn't necessary and the beer would have a cleaner, richer taste IMO. Still, the current bottling is very worthy.

I also bought Plowman's Ale and really like the new label. A review of that bottle will follow.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I think the brewer of Russian Gun was on the Ontario Craft Brewers podcast talking about it.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks I will look for that, that would be Rob Creighton. Tasting the beer again, at room temperature too, I barely get any clove or other spice at all - if it still has some it is used in commendably restrained measure.

You can't really taste the brewing sugar and molasses either except perhaps in the sense that these additions lighten the body.

Anyway it's great, an excellent, rich-tasting strong stout.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

You made me look.

I have no idea why the Russian Gun is listed with "spices" as an ingredient.

It has none in it at all and has not changed at all from the previous years.

Another label ingredient listing mystery that probably has some reason behind it but it is beyond me. Hopefully we can correct it in future printings.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Rob, thanks for this clarification. Having tasted it again yesterday at near room temperature, it seemed a rich and clean strong stout with no spice. I am not against the use of spice as such in beer but I always felt Russian Gun didn't need it and glad to know this is the case.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ I had the impresion Jubilation or some GR winter warmer had spice (or sometimes didn't.)
In Beerum Veritas

Grey

Post by Grey »

I had a Russian Gun on the weekend that was bottled on Feb. 20, tasted amazing (as I remembered). So today I go to pick up a few more and didn't noticed until I got home that the bottled on dates are Nov. 21 and Jan. 17 (from a different store)... I'm hoping a few months old isn't a bad thing.