Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Nickel Brook Beer ‏@NickelBrookBeer 16m
WINEY BASTARD Pinot Noir barrel aged Imperial Stout w. Brettanomyces will be released 11am Friday March 7 @ the Brewery - 750mL

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

squeaky wrote:Nickel Brook Beer ‏@NickelBrookBeer 16m
WINEY BASTARD Pinot Noir barrel aged Imperial Stout w. Brettanomyces will be released 11am Friday March 7 @ the Brewery - 750mL
yeah. i may have to ask my mother in law to grab some for me. very excited about it.

munrets

Post by munrets »

So this was just canned this morning. Had dropped by GL to pick up a growler but instead came home with a bunch of these instead.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

atomeyes wrote:
squeaky wrote:Nickel Brook Beer ‏@NickelBrookBeer 16m
yeah. i may have to ask my mother in law to grab some for me. very excited about it.
pricey ($18.95) but i'm going to pick up a bottle or 2 today

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

distr0 wrote:
Anyone who complained about the pricing of the Beau's feature should be incensed at this price. For a brewery that (IMO) has not yet proven that they can produce above average barrel aged beers, this price is ridiculous.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
distr0 wrote:
Anyone who complained about the pricing of the Beau's feature should be incensed at this price. For a brewery that (IMO) has not yet proven that they can produce above average barrel aged beers, this price is ridiculous.
Yes, I got the release email and I thought I might pick up some today until I saw the price, anything over $15 in 750ml has to be spectacular for me to want to go and grab it.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

phirleh wrote: Yes, I got the release email and I thought I might pick up some today until I saw the price, anything over $15 in 750ml has to be spectacular for me to want to go and grab it.
I was lucky enough to have it on tap at the Bent Elbow. It was good but, not $19/750ml good. I was willing to go to the brewery to get this, but no need anymore.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
distr0 wrote:NB Winey Bastard
I thought the Winey and the Kentucky, when they were at their best, were pretty good. This bottle price, which I can't explain (it's just a Pinot wine barrel, not Chateau D'Yquem-infused Limousin oak) well it is still a bit less than 2 servings might cost at a bar with tax and tip, so it's a wash if at least the bottling stands up to the draught version (which I was happy enough to try once - hey maybe you can find it on tap at the usual suspects.)

Also beer traders will be looking for it. Rare and limited.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:well it is still a bit less than 2 servings might cost at a bar with tax and tip, so it's a wash if at least the bottling stands up to the draught version (which I was happy enough to try once - hey maybe you can find it on tap at the usual suspects.)
Do you work for Nickel Brook? lol

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Belgian wrote:well it is still a bit less than 2 servings might cost at a bar with tax and tip, so it's a wash if at least the bottling stands up to the draught version (which I was happy enough to try once - hey maybe you can find it on tap at the usual suspects.)
It's a meagre cost justification, but on the other hand bottled beer in Ontario sometimes works out MORE expensive than on draught. Lake Of Bays Mocha Porter for eg.
In Beerum Veritas

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I tried Kentucky Bastard once on draught and I can say that I would not pay any price for a bottle much less $18.95. I wasn't impressed at all and I don't expect much from the wine barrel version but, of course, that's just my 2 cents.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

ChrisK wrote:I tried Kentucky Bastard once on draught and I can say that I would not pay any price for a bottle much less $18.95. I wasn't impressed at all and I don't expect much from the wine barrel version but, of course, that's just my 2 cents.
I agree with your take on Kentucky Bastard, but I rather liked Winey Bastard. It's an unusual beer (the red wine barrel is insanely strong - much moreso than any other wine-barrel aged beer I have had), but it was enjoyable. This was on tap - I have not had it from the bottle and there is no way I could drink a large bottle of it. A small bit is enough. And $18.95 is way too much.
Not sure if the original batch had Brett in it.
Ren

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

LMAO

$19? For this? Are you shitting me?

You could buy a 4-pack of Bourbon County for that price. These guys are off their rockers. I'm trying to find reasons to support local brewers, but with shit like this...

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
It's a meagre cost justification, but on the other hand bottled beer in Ontario sometimes works out MORE expensive than on draught. Lake Of Bays Mocha Porter for eg.
I'm curious why this sometimes happens. Does the brewer assume the home drinker is more flexible on price? There's gotta be a reason. Personally I don't buy beer in a bottle if it's more expensive or comparably priced to the same beer on tap. I like bars, and the prime reason I'll drink at home is because it's cheaper (e.g. a $3 can compared to $8 for the same beer at a bar after tax and tip).
Last edited by Bobsy on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

The capitalist in me says "If they sell out at that price, why would they sell it for less?".

The kid in me says "Who the fuck invited the capitalist".

Love that kid.