Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Beau's Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Just saw a tweet saying they're at Queen's Quay, with this photo:

So the price is starting to make a bit more sense now, with the barrel-aging and the pretty packaging.
Looks hideous. Seriously. I've never come across a beer where the "bag on the bottle" look has made me go, "OH HEY THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!"

Quit it breweries.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:And paying for extra layers of packaging is not something I support.
bingo.
you just throw that wrapping paper shit out.
beer geeks are paying for that silliness. guessing we're not their target audience anymore.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I still say a 4 person tasting with each person springing for one bottle is the way to go at 10 bucks a pop.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

sprague11 wrote:I still say a 4 person tasting with each person springing for one bottle is the way to go at 10 bucks a pop.
I'll hold you to that
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

liamt07 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Just saw a tweet saying they're at Queen's Quay, with this photo:

So the price is starting to make a bit more sense now, with the barrel-aging and the pretty packaging.
Looks hideous. Seriously. I've never come across a beer where the "bag on the bottle" look has made me go, "OH HEY THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!"

Quit it breweries.
packaging makes me think of this..

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

icemachine wrote: I'll hold you to that
Serves me right I guess. As long as I'm not stuck buying the Sargon. Ginger and Rum are great.... for helping shorten a flu.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote:I am sure that the LCBO must have some sort of annual Can-Con percentage for these brewery features, but I can't blame (Brewery X) for jumping on it. They market extremely well even if they don't make mind-blowing beers, and that's what concerns the LC the most
I always figured that about another Ontario brewery who once regularly crammed the LCBO shelves with questionable stuff. Homer support.

That said, if Beau's is better than 'them' ^, and the LC's helping Beau's tremendously, then what's to stop even more Ontario breweries from taking advantage? I could see that happening with a sharp-looking brand such as Bellwoods.
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Beau's wrote:From our 100% post-consumer posters, brochures and coasters to our enviro-friendly packaging choices like tree-free labels, we approach each decision with mindfulness of its environmental impact.
Remember that as you're pumping these wrappers down the recycling shoot! :p

Really, isn't less packaging better than more if you're into enviro-friendly packaging? :wink:

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

liamt07 wrote:If these are barrel aged, I'm assuming they're part of the Greener Futures project as well. Which means I've already paid for them. I guess that's a good thing?
doubt it. Greener Future is supposed to be exclusive. Those beers are not available to the public. I would be disappointed if these are available via GF

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

curious to see what people rate these at..

be funny if after all of the hate - the reviews for these beers were all 'world class'. People tripping over each other trying to buy them etc

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

FYI. No proper link from the homepage, but there's a drinkvine page for this release now:

http://drinkvine.com/drinkrelease.php?n ... beaus_beer

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Not hate on my part, just indifference toward the brewery itself, and some apprehension for these particular beers at 10 dollars a pop. Maybe one or two of them will be world beaters and Americans will be offering up Beatifications and Duck Duck Gooze for them. Who can say? :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

spinrsx wrote:be funny if after all of the hate - the reviews for these beers were all 'world class'. People tripping over each other trying to buy them etc
We live in the most likely of all possible worlds.
In Beerum Veritas

TJ

Post by TJ »

The last and only enjoyable beer I had from beaus was the beaver river ipeh about four or five years ago. Then they changed it and it was just another Crappy hoppy amber masquerading as an ipa. We have more than enough of those in this province.

Lug tread is a bore but sometimes the best option available when drinking out.

The best of beaus four packs were four kinds of meh.

So I'm not a huge fan

That said.

I had the Siduri tonight. I would call it mediocre. Not terrible. Just not worth the money. Not even at half what they're charging.

The Sargon tastes like a flat shandy mixed with toilet water. I love ginger. I love beer. But this sucks.

I'm kind of done with beaus.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I had Siduri tonight and would say it's above average. Nice spicy fruits, light pepper. Really, exactly as advertised. If someone told me this was the wheat wine, though, I would have believed it. But that's just me. Absolutely worth half of what they're charging.