Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Red Racer - freshness

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote:16oz cans - they may use this as a chance to up the price since Ontarians don't seem to have an issue with exponentially higher pricing.
^ FTFY ice.
liamt07 wrote:
Belgian wrote:I think any Red Racer in a location like Queen's Quay gets a high or daily turnover of recent stock.
Just make sure to keep the cans away from UV light and you should be fine.
Remind me how UV light impacts products that are canned?
^ hey Liam took the bait! Awesome...

:) It's OK man.
In Beerum Veritas

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Belgian wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
Belgian wrote:I think any Red Racer in a location like Queen's Quay gets a high or daily turnover of recent stock.
Just make sure to keep the cans away from UV light and you should be fine.
Remind me how UV light impacts products that are canned?
^ hey Liam took the bait! Awesome...

:) It's OK man.
Hook, line and sinker ;)

aser

Post by aser »

still waiting, any word on when the tallboys will be in stock?

this is my go everyday beer so living w/o it has been painful to say the least.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

aser wrote:still waiting, any word on when the tallboys will be in stock?
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=376285

And only 5 cents more than the 355 ml cans!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

GregClow wrote:
aser wrote:still waiting, any word on when the tallboys will be in stock?
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=376285

And only 5 cents more than the 355 ml cans!
$2.50 is an excellent price for tall cans of Red Racer. That means a 7-pack (volume equivalent) can be had for $12.50. And it's one of the best IPAs in Canada. I know what I'll be buying this week!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Wow, that's an awesome deal!

Grey

Post by Grey »

cratez wrote:$2.50 is an excellent price for tall cans of Red Racer. That means a 7-pack (volume equivalent) can be had for $12.50. And it's one of the best IPAs in Canada. I know what I'll be buying this week!
Picked up a few from King & Spadina, the bottom of the cans say Prod. Jan 21 2014. I may actually prefer a 355mL size, but damn, only a nickel more for the tall can is just awesome!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Sweet price for a solid beer.
High on my "summer camping beer" list this one...

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Grey wrote: ...the bottom of the cans say Prod. Jan 21 2014.
I was a bit disappointed that it took two months for these cans to hit the shelves. I'd like to try a really fresh batch.

But it's still damn tasty and a good value for sure.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

^funny you should mention that, but I was thinking the same thing at Aurora this afternoon, only the "new" cans there were produced in early december! Went for some feb Headstock instead.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I just tried a can from December, thought it was great. Sweet, rich, "pink grapefruit" taste (very West Coast 80's-90's), excellent.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Grey

Post by Grey »

deepeary wrote:I was a bit disappointed that it took two months for these cans to hit the shelves. I'd like to try a really fresh batch.

But it's still damn tasty and a good value for sure.
The older date isn't going to stop me from picking up more, they taste fine to me. :)

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Yeah, that date is well within freshness for cans. I know there's nothing quite like the freshest possible IPA, but even two months is not a ridiculous delay in terms of degradation of flavour.

I had one the other day. It was lovely. What more do you want?
saintjohnswort.ca

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

It is probably mostly a mental thing, but I just find it satisfying to have a really fresh (less than one month old) IPA. I did mention my RR cans were damn tasty at 2 months old. I was just hoping the new tall can shipment would hit the shelves a little fresher.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

SK got a fresh shipment last summer. Most of us had not had any in a while, as Central City had discontinued distro to AB, SK and MB when they got into Ontario.

Anyways, pretty much everyone commented that it was quite sweet. A fresh shipment of Smashbomb came in at the same time, and it was considerably drier.

I gave away most of my 6-pack... haven't had any since, so no idea if it was just that one batch.