Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa and area help

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I hear you, good points. Didn't notice the advertising about microbrasserie. It is a bit odd that they started talking about themselves as one when clearly they're not (yet).

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Cass wrote:Very convenient to Ottawa - on the traditional bar strip which is just behind the big hulk of government. Awesome to see another great beer lineup in Hull/Gatineau.
I work at that big hulk of government! I haven't been yet as I'm on pat leave. It'll be nice to pop by on Fridays after work.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Ceecee wrote:
Cass wrote:Very convenient to Ottawa - on the traditional bar strip which is just behind the big hulk of government. Awesome to see another great beer lineup in Hull/Gatineau.
I work at that big hulk of government! I haven't been yet as I'm on pat leave. It'll be nice to pop by on Fridays after work.
Oh yeah? Cool! I hear it's quite the hotspot after work. It's literally straight out the back door from the hulk (at least the right part of it).

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Cass wrote:I hear you, good points. Didn't notice the advertising about microbrasserie. It is a bit odd that they started talking about themselves as one when clearly they're not (yet).
Lag time aside, Gainsbourg beers do exist. They had a booth at the Gatineau beer fest with some 3 or 4 of their own beers, including one that was served warm IIRC. Hopefully we will see some of their offerings before too long.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Ottawa/Gatineau beer guide is out again. Pretty comprehensive:
http://apt613.ca/the-great-ottawa-beer- ... 3-edition/
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Nice list of everything. A few spots I didn't even know about.

The Wellington Gastropub guys are also opening a second location in Stittsville this November. Excellent news for those of us far out in the west end.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Some addresses on this list are completely barren of beers. In general its a great complete list, but some areas are less researched. Specially on the QC side.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Kekumba wrote:The Wellington Gastropub guys are also opening a second location in Stittsville this November. Excellent news for those of us far out in the west end.
Or not.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Firef ... story.html

I guess everything decent out here just burns down...

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Drove through downtown this afternoon and the old Hard Rock has signs up for the new proprietors.

Lowertown Brewery.

Can't find any information on them. But sounds like it's going to be a brew pub. Any word who's behind this? Would have to be some major coin to put up for the lease.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Bytowner wrote:Ottawa/Gatineau beer guide is out again. Pretty comprehensive:
http://apt613.ca/the-great-ottawa-beer- ... 3-edition/
Thanks for this. A lot of new places in the area since I was hopping through a lot 2 summers ago.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Has there been any news lately about the Bier Markt going in on Sparks Street? Is it still a go?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Rumour is the Bier Markt is going into the old Zellers. I don't have confirmation of that though.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

That was the story when they first announced, it (Bier Markt/Zellers). In relation to the old Hard Rock, I heard the Team 1200 guys talking about it while off topic the other day and they said it was being backed at least in part by the Clocktower group.

No idea how true that is or not.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Yeah the Lowertown Brewery is a joint with Clocktower and York Entertainment Group. They own a few restaurants in the market area. I'm assuming they are looking after the food and Clocktower is looking after the beer.

Interesting since Clocktower have a location roughly two blocks from the Hard Rock.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

cfrancis wrote:Yeah the Lowertown Brewery is a joint with Clocktower and York Entertainment Group. They own a few restaurants in the market area. I'm assuming they are looking after the food and Clocktower is looking after the beer.

Interesting since Clocktower have a location roughly two blocks from the Hard Rock.
I should have applied for that brewing job... :(