Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La Morsure

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

La Morsure

Post by Bytowner »

Not sure how I feel about this one. Quenching. Hop profile is really nice, good citrus and melon with a pleasant bitterness in the finish. But that's all you can really say about it. Malt and body are non-existent.

Not a bad summer beer... But not exactly at a lawn mower price.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

I need to try this one again, I think I had a bad bottle. It was a weird meaty sort of flavor to it. It was a drain pour.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Bytowner wrote:Not sure how I feel about this one. Quenching. Hop profile is really nice, good citrus and melon with a pleasant bitterness in the finish. But that's all you can really say about it. Malt and body are non-existent.

Not a bad summer beer... But not exactly at a lawn mower price.
Sounds like you just described the perfect West Coast IPA. Will have to pick this up, too many IPAs I've bought from Ontario/Quebec are malt/crystal focused.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I definitely tasted the sweet malt, but it wasn't too pronounced. I also thought it had a bit of mint to it which was really nice.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Quebec should just stay as far away as possible from IPAs. I've never had an even half-decent IPA from that province.

Stick to the Belgian styles, boys.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

liamt07 wrote:Quebec should just stay as far away as possible from IPAs. I've never had an even half-decent IPA from that province.

Largely true, but I think both Moralite and Yakima are very nice IPAs.
Ren

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

jrenihan wrote:
liamt07 wrote:Quebec should just stay as far away as possible from IPAs. I've never had an even half-decent IPA from that province.

Ren
Alright, DDC are off the hook, but 98% of anything hoppy coming out of that province is not far removed from being terrible.

nickw

Post by nickw »

I'm currently drinking a Castor Yakima IPA, and it should definitely also be excluded from any "Quebec IPAs suck" chatter.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

I had the oatmeal stout from Castor and it inspired me to make my own. The mouthfeel was so smooth and full. Just the right amount of roast.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

liamt07 wrote:
jrenihan wrote:

Ren
Alright, DDC are off the hook, but 98% of anything hoppy coming out of that province is not far removed from being terrible.
Moralite, castor yakima.... Maybe leo's? Agreed theres not a lot of "hoppy" quebec beer id stand behind.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

distr0

Post by distr0 »

the top of my bottle shattered when i opened it. the glass shards added a slightly unpleasant texture.

really though, it was pretty 'meh'

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

distr0 wrote:the top of my bottle shattered when i opened it. the glass shards added a slightly unpleasant texture.
DDC is bad for this - they crimp caps on twist off bottles, I've had 4-5 bottles from them do this
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

jrenihan wrote:

Ren
I'd also suggest Catapulte, Leo's, Disco Soleil, Double Dose and Jukebox Distorsion.

The Boreale IPA is half decent for a budget beer.