Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa and area help

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

iguenard wrote:
cfrancis wrote:Yeah the Lowertown Brewery is a joint with Clocktower and York Entertainment Group. They own a few restaurants in the market area. I'm assuming they are looking after the food and Clocktower is looking after the beer.

Interesting since Clocktower have a location roughly two blocks from the Hard Rock.
I should have applied for that brewing job... :(
There is always the guy in Dunrobin looking for brewers on Kijiji.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

cfrancis wrote:
iguenard wrote:
cfrancis wrote:Yeah the Lowertown Brewery is a joint with Clocktower and York Entertainment Group. They own a few restaurants in the market area. I'm assuming they are looking after the food and Clocktower is looking after the beer.

Interesting since Clocktower have a location roughly two blocks from the Hard Rock.
I should have applied for that brewing job... :(
There is always the guy in Dunrobin looking for brewers on Kijiji.
Yeah but the market...

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Lieutenant's Pump seems to have really picked up its game. It's always had an "interesting" range of bottled beers, but it looks like they've brought in some good local taps now.

On Friday they had Rye Guy, Pink Fuzz, Wild Card, Lone Pine, a couple Asthon and a few others. All over-priced, but they do pour a proper pint and their Friday Burger & Beer deal can't be beat. Also, good sign, I couldn't order any of the above because they were busy cleaning their lines. Decent choice if you don't feel like dealing with the crowd at the Manx.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Made some rounds last night...

Black Tomato had some solid offerings available from all the usual suspects and a couple of Junction beers.

Stopped into the Lunenburg Pub... what an odd spot. At 6:30 pm there were 3 other people in the place, my buddy and I basically had to whisper or our entire conversation would have been overheard. Has that cheesy fake pub look, but that tap list was solid with again, the usual suspects (Ashton, BTP, etc). Maybe 15 taps?? I ordered the chicken salad and it was gross. Buddy had a wrap and he said it was fine. Wouldn't go back unless there was a guarantee of more people.

Then into Bros, always decent list there. Closed the night with a beauty glass of Aphrodisiaque.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I don't know how well known it is but there is a homebrewer going pro in the basement of Lunenburg. It will be called Waller Street Brewing. Just launched their website.

http://www.wallerst.ca/

One cool plan is to partner with the local homebrew club to come up with a beer to be released.

Also there is a brewery opening on Industrial Ave. called Bicycle Brewery. Probably early fall for this one.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

cfrancis wrote:I don't know how well known it is but there is a homebrewer going pro in the basement of Lunenburg. It will be called Waller Street Brewing. Just launched their website.

One cool plan is to partner with the local homebrew club to come up with a beer to be released.

Also there is a brewery opening on Industrial Ave. called Bicycle Brewery. Probably early fall for this one.
Ottawa is going to be on the Canadian beer map in a big way in one year's time.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

As long as they are all producing good beer.

If it's 10 breweries that are all making a blonde, an amber, a stout and a half ass IPA. It's not going to work.

If we have 10 different breweries that are trying different things like Beyond the Pale and making bold beer that is outside of what is expected, then absolutely you are right and I HOPE you are right.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

cfrancis wrote:I don't know how well known it is but there is a homebrewer going pro in the basement of Lunenburg. It will be called Waller Street Brewing. Just launched their website.

Hmmm. I hope they make it easier to get to and from the brewery than it currently is to get in and out of the bathroom. I almost got lost down there the other day!

Hope it works out, it's in a bit of an odd spot, but the building (not the décor) has lots of charm.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I left 11 Cuvee des Jacobins @ Carling/Kirkwood store. It's at the front next to the last cash

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Anybody remember what that bar was called. I've been racking my brain but I can't come up with it. I used to go there all the freaking time.

Upstairs was Marble Works and they had the Murder Mystery stuff on the 2nd floor.

ALFIE"S PUB.

BAM

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Only took you a week to remember it. :wink:

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Zuma wrote:Only took you a week to remember it. :wink:
It's been a fucking ear wig for a week.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Anyone know what happened to Bieres du Monde? I went over today and they were all closed up with a notice sign on the door. I can't read French, but it certainly wasn't a "sorry, we're closed today" type of notice.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I was there last week and it looked like they were burning off stock. Twitter and FB silence for a few weeks too. This doesn't look good...

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Damn, that sucks. So they got a little carried away with all those new locations, eh. Their prices were always a bit higher, but I preferred the location over Broue Ha Ha. Too bad if they did indeed fold, I was waiting to use my 20% off next time I had a big purchase!