Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:
atomeyes wrote:using almost 1.5 lbs of rye. i have a love-hate relationship with rye. so fucking gummy in the mash tun.
rice hulls and step mashes are your friend. i'm picking up a bag of rye on saturday with plans of a ryewine this summer.
yeah, will prolly toss in some hulls. the rye's only 11%, so i'm not overly worried. more worried about breaking my plastic spoon i use to stir the tun.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

J343MY wrote:
ercousin wrote:What temp did you ferment the conan at? I hear you gotta ferment it really cold to get the peachy character out of it. Like 60*F cold...
It got up to 68F at the peak of fermentation. The beer ended up with a subtle spicy phenol that I could have done without. I'll try to keep the double IPA i do this weekend in the low 60s and see what happens. unless it blows me away, it will probably be the last time I use Conan.
I just checked in my Conan fermented double IPA prior to dry hopping. I fermented it in the high 50's this time. It finished up at 1.008, but its got a slight belgian yeast thing going on now. I'll reserve judgment until its ready to drink, but at this point Conan is looking like more trouble than its worth.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Just finished brewing a brett APA with Nelson, Mosaic, and Citra.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Cooling a New Zealand Pale, used a combination of Pacific Jade and Waimea, 1/2 oz of each in FWH, and 1.5 of each in a hopstand. Will dry hop with 2 more of Waimea
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

weird. my Yeast Bay FUnktown yeast that i pitched on Tuesday may have been a complete dud.
Conan plus brett.
Aerated the beer, etc etc.
it's now 5 days and ZERO airlock activity. thought i had some semblance of a krausen but nope.

very unimpressed.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:it's now 5 days and ZERO airlock activity. thought i had some semblance of a krausen but nope.
what do you ferment in? ie: was it a carboy where you could have seen if there was krausen and such or a bucket where you can't? could be that it's already done and you just didn't have a seal. only way to know for sure is to pull a gravity sample.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:
atomeyes wrote:it's now 5 days and ZERO airlock activity. thought i had some semblance of a krausen but nope.
what do you ferment in? ie: was it a carboy where you could have seen if there was krausen and such or a bucket where you can't? could be that it's already done and you just didn't have a seal. only way to know for sure is to pull a gravity sample.
yeah, didn't want to start grabbing a gravity sample if it was fermenting and it wasn't visible via the airlock.

fermenting in a carboy. swore i saw a mini krauzen form, but yeah, zero, i mean ZERO airlock movement. nary a foamy bubble.

it's at the point where i think i'll do a gravity reading. even a refractometer reading to show ANY movement will make me happy. and if it's a dud, i may have to chuck.

ugg..me and my weird yeasts. sometimes i wish i'd just stick to wlp001.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote: I just checked in my Conan fermented double IPA prior to dry hopping. I fermented it in the high 50's this time. It finished up at 1.008, but its got a slight belgian yeast thing going on now. I'll reserve judgment until its ready to drink, but at this point Conan is looking like more trouble than its worth.
not what i want to hear. another homebrewer said that his conan flocced all over his stirbar and stopped it.
i have a vial sitting in my fridge. it screams IPA by nature. fuck....this is seriously my spring of Headache Yeast. first the lambic, then Funktown, and soon-to-be Vermont

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Brewed an IPA with Vermont Ale on Sunday. Decided to ferment mid range (64-65*F) and bump it up after a few days. The starter was a pain, I had to up the stir speed after it stopped my stir bar a few times by floccing on it. I had audible stirring and visible vortex instead of my usual dimple.

Started drinking the mild I brewed March 30th. Big flavour for a 3.6% beer, mainly toasty malts, lightly roasty, English esters from the WLP005 mixed in and balanced nicely. One of my favorites so far. My hoppy american wheat is drinking nicely too, though the citra dry hop feels like cheating. We'll see how it does in ALES.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

by the way, i tasted my TenFiddy clone yesterday. probably at the end stage of fermentation. the krausen dropped and i'll give it another day or 3.

i may have come pretty damn close to nailing it. even with the water gaffe, it had a great, velvety mouthfeel.

curious as to 1 month in the cellar will do to it, esp the bitterness and sweetness.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Brewed 10 gallons of Imperial Stout yesterday. Was using 2 mashtuns to hold the 60lbs of grain. Both c*cksucking mashes stuck like you wouldn't believe. I literally never get stuck mashes. Not exactly my shining moment as a homebrewer, especially when a couple guys from Half Pints Brewing stopped by to check things out.

My brewdays usually take 4.25 hrs for a 5 gallon batch, maybe 5hrs for a big ass 10 gallon batch. This one took 8.5hrs.

Still ended up hitting 1.105 gravity. Going into a freshly dumped Last Mountain Distillery whisky barrel in a week or so. Should be worth the trouble.

Planning to brew next weekend as well. Not only will it be exactly my 150th homebrew batch, but it will also be my very last batch. Looking forward to retirement!

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

atomeyes wrote:by the way, i tasted my TenFiddy clone yesterday. probably at the end stage of fermentation. the krausen dropped and i'll give it another day or 3.

i may have come pretty damn close to nailing it. even with the water gaffe, it had a great, velvety mouthfeel.

curious as to 1 month in the cellar will do to it, esp the bitterness and sweetness.
Which Ten Fidy recipe did you use?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ercousin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:by the way, i tasted my TenFiddy clone yesterday. probably at the end stage of fermentation. the krausen dropped and i'll give it another day or 3.

Which Ten Fidy recipe did you use?
i posted it a page ago. created it on my own with some of the info on OB's website and what i thought was going on in that beer.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

markaberrant wrote:Not only will it be exactly my 150th homebrew batch, but it will also be my very last batch. Looking forward to retirement!
i'm guessing there's more to this story...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

grub wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Not only will it be exactly my 150th homebrew batch, but it will also be my very last batch. Looking forward to retirement!
i'm guessing there's more to this story...
20Hl brewhouse is on order.