Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

We all know hops are expensive - but how does a it go from being $5/473mL to $8.95/650mL or $1.06/100mL to $1.38/100mL. If the can price was extrapolated to bomber size it would $6.89.

Johnny Simcoe was $2.80, Thrust! $4, and Robohop cans $5 at GLB. Obviously labour costs are about the same for these products, the price difference being in the increasing malt and hop bill for steps between APA>IPA>IIPA.

So is that extra $2 simply to pay for the cost of a fancy one time use bottle? I know there was a discussion about how much extra room empty cans take up, but single use bombers have to take even more.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

They are also selling the cans direct from the brewery vs. paying LCBO and shipping fees for the bottles.

My 2 cents.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

serious question for you guys.

how do you think brewers decide on what to charge for a beer?

is there an equation? or are #s made up based on:

-AVB
-months of aging
-limited quantity
-barrel aging

in theory, barrel-aged beer are the only beer that should be exponentially more expensive. square footage is dedicated for a beer to sit for x # of months. that costs money. the amount of extra grain or hops used for IPAs and high ABV beer are almost a wash and can be recovered by increasing the price by a quarter and not $1-2

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

JerCraigs wrote:They are also selling the cans direct from the brewery vs. paying LCBO and shipping fees for the bottles.

My 2 cents.
means nothing other than a lower volume was produced, therefore the labour costs per can/bottle would be higher

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

atomeyes wrote:serious question for you guys.

-AVB
-months of aging
-limited quantity
-barrel aging

in theory, barrel-aged beer are the only beer that should be exponentially more expensive. square footage is dedicated for a beer to sit for x # of months. that costs money. the amount of extra grain or hops used for IPAs and high ABV beer are almost a wash and can be recovered by increasing the price by a quarter and not $1-2

In many industries, the pricing is simply cost + margin. They have a set margin they want for the beer and just add that on top of the cost of production.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

JProulx wrote:
atomeyes wrote:serious question for you guys.

-AVB
-months of aging
-limited quantity
-barrel aging

In many industries, the pricing is simply cost + margin. They have a set margin they want for the beer and just add that on top of the cost of production.
pretty certain that is not the case in beer.
it is usually the same labour cost to make 1 bottle vs 10 000 bottles (in theory). machinery cost is amortized and isn't necessarily proportional to annual volume output.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

noticed this is listed again

TREE BREWING HOPHEAD DOUBLE IPA
LCBO 209346 | 650 mL bottle
Price $ 5.45

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

spinrsx wrote:noticed this is listed again

Price $ 5.45
Provides quite a contrast to the Robohop - not sure Tree uses as much late hopping as GLB, but nice to see a well priced DIPA option
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

spinrsx wrote:noticed this is listed again

Price $ 5.45
I usually pick up a case of this. Enjoy the hell out of it.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS:

Pc Ipa
Brewer:
White Water Brewery
Alcohol Content (ABV):
5.2%
Brewed to honor England's historical Pale Ales shipped to India and beyond.

and

Pc Down Under Amber
Brewer:
White Water Brewery
Alcohol Content (ABV):
5.2%
Brewed to honor New Zealand's Amber beers first brewed by Captain James Cook in 1770.

and

Waterloo Grapefruit Radler
Brewer:
Brick
Alcohol Content (ABV):
3.1%

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

spinrsx wrote: White Water Brewery
Not sure why, but at first I totally read that as Walter White brewing company. Which would be a totally different thing.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I thought it was Whitewater Brewery in the Ottawa Valley. I was wondering where they got the capacity from.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new listing:

INNIS & GUNN LAGER
LCBO 377275 | 500 mL can
Price: $ 2.65

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

spinrsx wrote:Brewed to honor New Zealand's Amber beers first brewed by Captain James Cook in 1770.
Anybody know something about this style and history I don't? I didn't realize James Cook was also a brewer, though it makes sense because brewing on board a ship in the Pacific Ocean would have been easy in those days.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Matador 2.0 El Toro Bravo - showing stock at several Beer Stores.

From TBS description: "El Toro Bravo is a 10.1% imperial strength Dark Ryle Ale aged on a bed of Spanish Cedar. Peppery brown with dark, oxblood lights, this stout-hearted ale breeds sweet, toffee malts & crisp, drying rye with the wood and spicy notes of the cedar. El Toro Bravo can be enjoyed fresh or cellared for up to 2 years."

Odd to see a 750ml release like this at TBS. Sounds interesting, might pick one up.