Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2014 Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO Summer 2014 Craft Beer Release

Post by GregClow »

The following beers have been confirmed to be part of the LCBO Summer 2014 Craft Beer Release.

LCBO# / Product name / Size / Retail Price
365676 / Thornbridge Chiron American Style Pale Ale / 500 / $5.00
365692 / Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA / 650 / $4.95
372797 / Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar / 330 / $4.25
371880 / St Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition / 375 / $4.50
365700 / Southern Tier Compass / 650 / $9.25
365718 / Lindeman's Framboise / 750 / $9.95
273656 / Ayinger Brau-Weisse / 500 / $3.95
365734 / Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca / 750 / $9.75
365726 / Samuel Smith's Organic Apricot Ale / 550 / $4.95
365742 / Le Trou Du Diable Saison Du Tracteur / 375 / $3.55
365759 / Les Trois Mousquetaires Gose / 375 / $3.60

Planned release date for the beers is week of May 25th, although as always, some beers may arrive earlier or later.
Last edited by GregClow on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I like it! Better than I remember previous summer releases. It's got a nice variety of styles going on.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so the bernardus wit and Brooklyn Sorachi Ace is a separate thing eh? All I care about is the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace :/

we might as well have had a Thornbridge brewey feature, I think I've tried most of their lineup through the lcbo over the last few years

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

YEY JOLLY PUMPKIN! Now bring in Oro and Roja for Fall!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

spinrsx wrote:we might as well have had a Thornbridge brewey feature, I think I've tried most of their lineup through the lcbo over the last few years
We've only received a fraction of their 197 beers... but still, we have got a bunch lately. :)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

iguenard wrote:YEY JOLLY PUMPKIN! Now bring in Oro and Roja for Fall!
Bier du Mars is my fave of theirs (as is their saison).

but yeah, just happy to have JP here.

that's 3 sours (if including the gose on the list) for this release.
times, they are a'changing

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

atomeyes wrote:that's 3 sours (if including the gose on the list) for this release.
times, they are a'changing
Considering it's that Gose, I'd consider it to be sour. The last bottle I had was like salty lemon juice concentrate (in a good way?).

I'm so looking forward to buying some JP without a border jump. And really hoping to stock up on that Gueuze. I know you can buy it around town pretty easily (Volo, Thirsty and Miserable always has bottles), but it'll be nice to have a supply of gueuze when I want a sour!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Only the Sam Smith Apricot is new to me. However, for a historically weak release, this looks quite good. I will be stocking up on the JP, LTM and St. Louis.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

That Lindemans is actually kind of a steal at that price. I realize it's no Cantillon, but wow.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

That Lindeman's price is on par with USA from what I remember, it is only 2.5% ABV

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

admviolin wrote:That Lindeman's price is on par with USA from what I remember, it is only 2.5% ABV
Why do we equate the value of a beer to be directly proportional to it's abv? In Ontario this seems to be more prevalent than other places. Maybe it's that we don't get any high quality, low abv beers in the province or maybe it's just the cost associated with brewing a higher abv beer? Several times Ive heard someone say that charging 'x' dollars for a certain beer wouldn't work because the abv isn't high enough.

Just curious if anyone has some ideas on why this is? I mean, I'm all for keeping prices as low as possible for good beer, but it seems skewed to me.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

that's an impressive price on the Jolly Pumpkin. I do believe their 750s are all priced over $10 in the US. Dare I say this is what happens when Shelton Brothers are cut out of the equation?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

ChrisK wrote:that's an impressive price on the Jolly Pumpkin. I do believe their 750s are all priced over $10 in the US. Dare I say this is what happens when Shelton Brothers are cut out of the equation?
Their website says 13 bucks for this specific beer right now. I'm pretty sure it was 12 when I was there over Christmas. So yeah, great price. Hopefully we see more of their stuff soon.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Everyone dancing around about the LCBO bringing in some Jolly Pumpkin should keep this in perspective: You're still paying $10 for a 750ml bottle of witbier.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

The Mick wrote:
admviolin wrote:That Lindeman's price is on par with USA from what I remember, it is only 2.5% ABV
Why do we equate the value of a beer to be directly proportional to it's abv? In Ontario this seems to be more prevalent than other places. Maybe it's that we don't get any high quality, low abv beers in the province or maybe it's just the cost associated with brewing a higher abv beer? Several times Ive heard someone say that charging 'x' dollars for a certain beer wouldn't work because the abv isn't high enough.

Just curious if anyone has some ideas on why this is? I mean, I'm all for keeping prices as low as possible for good beer, but it seems skewed to me.
British descent.

The tax structure on beer in England, which likely influences our own, charges more tax on higher alcohol beers. Ergo, higher alcohol = more expensive. It's an inherited bureaucratic trait that skews our concept of value.
saintjohnswort.ca