Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes 11th Annual Charity BBQ

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Great Lakes 11th Annual Charity BBQ

Post by Pub Style »

Toronto’s Oldest Craft Brewery Announces Annual Charity BBQ Plans
- May 24, 2014 Marks 11th Annual -

May 21, 2014 (Etobicoke, ON) – With the cold weather in the rearview mirror and the warmer temperatures finally inching closer, the team at the Great Lakes Brewery would like to formally announce plans for their 11th Annual Charity BBQ!

On Saturday May 24, 2014 from 12-5pm, Great Lakes Brewery, located at 30 Queen Elizabeth Blvd in Etobicoke, will transform into a small fairgrounds of sorts for an afternoon of live musical entertainment, BBQ food, kids games, raffle prizes, the Toronto Argonauts and some cheerleaders, GLB brewery history booth, beer games and of course, a fully stocked Great Lakes beer garden.

“Our annual Charity BBQ is something that we look forward to each year and we’re planning on making the 2014 edition, which is also the 11th annual BBQ, the best one to date,” said Peter Bulut. Jr., the President and Chief Brewing Officer of Great Lakes.

As in years past, brewery employees and a number of dedicated and passionate volunteers will be on hand to provide hot dogs and hamburgers, facilitate arts and crafts for children and to help organize games and activities. The BBQ will also allow individuals to sample some of Great Lakes award-winning beers like Crazy Canuck Pale Ale, Red Leaf Lager, Limp Puppet Session IPA and maybe a couple new beers while listening to live local musicians.

“It also pleases us to announce that we’re very happy to continue our ongoing relationship with the amazing people at the Franklin Horner Community Centre, who give so much back to the community,” said Bulut.

All proceeds raised throughout the day will be donated to the Franklin Horner Community Centre in Etobicoke, which help fund programs and services to individuals in South Etobicoke.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

We had a great time at this BBQ this year just like we have the past four years. The Limp Puppet was extremely quaffable outside in the sun. The one glass of Appocalypse Later was also very tasty - dangerously so for a beer of its strength!

This is always a nice family event and it help to support a great local charity. I don't think I could think of something that sums up exactly why I am a craft beer fan any better than an event like this one. Excellent beer made by a local small business supporting a local community based charity by having a family friendly event.

I am surprised every year at how little buzz this generates on this forum each year. It really is a good time and it is worth the trip to Etobicoke to spend an afternoon. A big thank you to the kind lady doing the face painting. My little girl loves getting her face done up and was devastated to learn that we were too late and she was closing the booth. She made an exception for us and after the tears had dried up my girl got a lovely heart drawn on her cheek and a smile plastered on her lips for the rest of the day.

I am a big racing fan and Sunday had three great races to watch. I am glad I brought some Limp Puppets home to enjoy through the day while watching. They were the perfect blend of flavour and strength. Beers of a regular strength would have had me napping before the half way mark of the Nascar race!