Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

This is the second time this year that a good website I use has been f*cked up. Used to like checking PGA tournament scoring on pgatour.com. They made changes to their scoreboard that were absolutely brutal and a step backwards. Found a suitable replacement at pga.com

I understand some of the problem is we don't like change, we like the old thing we're used to better than the new thing we don't know, etc, etc, but stepping back and trying to look above that level, I can't see how these new sites are better. What, oh what, goes through the minds of people to make such bad changes?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Have to "refresh" the brand, freshen up the site, keep things relevant and current, all that nonsense. Marketing people must justify their existence. Especially when you're marketing a monopoly; there is little of real use for you to do.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I often plan my day's itinerary around which desired beers are at certain stores. Hiding or losing all this information will not do... nuts.
In Beerum Veritas

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

One good thing its way better on a smart phone....responsive, easier to search with the benefit of location services. Although interesting, I don't ever need to know stock in Pickle Lake. I am also "fortunate" to have 5-10 LCBOs to have to check unless I want to invest the time to drive to the GTA

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Not get a full listing?! I haven't even been able to get a single store come up! Every attempt I've made says "No stores were located using your criteria." :evil:
I tried again this morning, and the store selector function seems to be working for me now as others have described - don't know what was happening yeterday. But it doesn't change my overall feeling about this horrible change.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

[quote="midlife crisis" Did they test this application at all?[/quote]

They don't have to they have us!

zane9

Post by zane9 »

One improvement is what seems to be proximity search results. IOW, a search for a product in Hamilton will also (finally) include stores in Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek, etc.

But a search for Pyramid Outburst brings no results :(

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

man, this new site is awful.

wonder if the inventory is real time now.. that might be one positive.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

spinrsx wrote:man, this new site is awful.

wonder if the inventory is real time now.. that might be one positive.
I still see plenty of 1 bottle phantom stocks :(

I just hope Ralph & Crew can get Drinkvine back up and running soon.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Does this new logo mean they are going to be updating thousands of signs, all in the name of a fancy B?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

sstackho wrote:Does this new logo mean they are going to be updating thousands of signs, all in the name of a fancy B?
Supposedly new stores and those undergoing other renovations will be getting new signage according to an LCBO tweet I saw yesterday
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

icemachine wrote:
sstackho wrote:Does this new logo mean they are going to be updating thousands of signs, all in the name of a fancy B?
Supposedly new stores and those undergoing other renovations will be getting new signage according to an LCBO tweet I saw yesterday
Yeah, I noticed the new typeface on the sign at the new store in the Beaches when I was out there a couple of weeks ago.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

zane9 wrote:One improvement is what seems to be proximity search results. IOW, a search for a product in Hamilton will also (finally) include stores in Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek, etc.

But a search for Pyramid Outburst brings no results :(
I thought you meant 0 stock, but no Pyramid Outburst just doesn't exist, even searching the product number 365692 comes up with nothing.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

ercousin wrote:I thought you meant 0 stock, but no Pyramid Outburst just doesn't exist, even searching the product number 365692 comes up with nothing.
^ exactly right. The product does not exist (!)

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

If you have the old phone ap, it still finds everything...