Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa and area help

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Heh, interesting. The Cat is my local place and I usually stop in once a week. I've never noticed it to be higher priced than the other similar places out this way.

They did have a patio before, though it seems larger now. The upstairs is also bigger with more seating, a TV and a projection screen. Not a bad place to watch some hockey, though just like it was pre-fire, it gets extremely loud upstairs. They did an incredible job building it back to what it was, though.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

So who will give us a report on Central Bierhaus? Looks promising, but no menus on their website yet. Not sure when I'll make the trip from Orleans to the Far West.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I saw that on Twitter. Where is it in Kanata? Centrum?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

rejtable wrote:I saw that on Twitter. Where is it in Kanata? Centrum?
Yeah, where O'Connor's Pub used to be. Think I saw 120 offerings somewhere, so there's bound to be at least something worth drinking!

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Interesting, never heard of it until right now and that's easy walking distance for me. I'll stop in some time this week.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

I did a little digging....and did not turn up much. No check ins on Untappd and their facebook page only has one reference to a particular beer.

In a comment they mention they have Hofbrau on tap. So that is something.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Maybe a bit off topic, more an "event" than a guide, but was at the BtP tap takeover at the Corner Bar in Orleans on Saturday. Too bad I was pretty much the only person there! Man, there couldn't have been more than 50 people there. They had three casks available, but were reluctant to even open two (we twisted their arm) as it wasn't looking like they'd get consumed too quickly.

Hopefully the Corner Bar wasn't too turned off to avoid doing this sort of thing again. :(

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

rejtable wrote:Maybe a bit off topic, more an "event" than a guide, but was at the BtP tap takeover at the Corner Bar in Orleans on Saturday. Too bad I was pretty much the only person there! Man, there couldn't have been more than 50 people there. They had three casks available, but were reluctant to even open two (we twisted their arm) as it wasn't looking like they'd get consumed too quickly.

Hopefully the Corner Bar wasn't too turned off to avoid doing this sort of thing again. :(
Ugh, I was worried that would happen. I wasn't home, so couldn't make it out. Doubt very much we'll see the like in the near future.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Tried out central Bier Haus the other day and was not impressed. They have some very attractive, young servers running around a very open space with a large TV. I mention it to have something positive to say about the place.

Had some ok beers on tap and what appeared to be an ok bottle list, but many of the bottles I tried to order weren't actually available (Mostly Trappist and Belgian styles). Aside from being pretty, service was terrible. Once our beers was finished you were waiting 10-15 for someone to come by to take your order for another. Friendly, but terrible. In case you're thinking we had a rookie server, she actually took the time took explain to us that she'd been a server for at 6 or 7 years.

Didn't have any food, but it looked a little pricey for what was offered.

All in all, I won't be back anytime soon. Maybe service is better at lunch time or on a slower day, like Tuesday evening, but I'm not inclined to find out
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I went last week as well.

The interior is significantly better than O'Connors was, we had great service, and the food was even quite good I thought (large sausage on a bun with some sort of potato salad on the side). But the price...oh boy, I couldn't even bring myself to order another pint as much as I wanted it (rather, 500ml). Of course, that's the Euro imports, I wasn't there for Ottawa locals which were somewhat reasonable. Nice spot, but sadly not going to make its way into the rotation of my other go-to's out in the Kanata area...

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Hey all. I'm in Ottawa for a few days with my wife, and was hoping to find a good bar. If you had to recommend only one place, what would it be? We're pretty central to downtown, and we have a car so transportation isn't an issue.

Thanks!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Go to Quebec and Brasseurs du Temps for solid food and great beer.

Or even Gainsbourg is gaining steadily in my book. Beer is really, really good.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Well if you have a car, you may as well stop in to L'autre Oeil.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Brothers Bistro
Smoque Shack

Other good options in the Market.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Thanks guys. I'll try to convince her that we should get to more than one of these places :)