Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa and area help

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

If you are looking for a great meal and solid beer, you can't go wrong with the Wellington Gastropub.

For just great pub atmosphere, my fave is the Manx. Taplist is pretty standard though.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

A bit off topic, but man Broue Haha nearly got wiped out today! Popped in around 1pm and there were fire trucks, cops and an ambulance all over the place.

About 30 mins before a car came screaming over the embankment out front, up into the parking lot and slammed into the chocolate shop next door. The whole front of the shop was disintegrated when I got there and ambulance was taking someone away (presumably the driver).

It's hard to believe the car made it up there, based on the tire tracks on the embankment it missed the big sign in the parking lot by maybe a foot or two. Can't believe there were no cars or anything in the way.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

rejtable wrote:A bit off topic, but man Broue Haha nearly got wiped out today! Popped in around 1pm and there were fire trucks, cops and an ambulance all over the place.

About 30 mins before a car came screaming over the embankment out front, up into the parking lot and slammed into the chocolate shop next door. The whole front of the shop was disintegrated when I got there and ambulance was taking someone away (presumably the driver).

It's hard to believe the car made it up there, based on the tire tracks on the embankment it missed the big sign in the parking lot by maybe a foot or two. Can't believe there were no cars or anything in the way.
Glad you got out of the car okay... you maniac! :)

Crazy story though. I was there at 12h15...

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Ha! Wow, so both of us just missed it on either end, you maybe a bit closer.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

More importantly, did you two drunks get your alcohol?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Yessir!

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Still lots of Solstice D'Ete Cerise at Marche des Brasseurs in the mall and Rapido as of 1pm today. Sounds like the same at Omni.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

If anyone is interested I ordered in some Side Launch Wheat to the Innes Road LCBO for a buddy. The beer guy ordered extra and put it all on the shelves. I've already got mine but the rest is still there. This is the new Denison's.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Going to be in Ottawa next week for a couple days next week, hope to take the kids to winterlude and show my wife the Byward market and whatnot. It's been years since I've been back, having grown up there. Actually, it'll probably be just as much an experience for me as it is for them.

Is BTP still the only decent brewery? What are the best beer stores in Gatineau? Any restaurant or (family friendly) bar/pub recs would be greatly appreciated!

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Tooth & Nail is a new brewery in Hintonburg, close to BtP. They're making some really good stuff. Covered Bridge in Stittsville is good too.

In Gatineau, I still like Broue Ha Ha the best but Marche des Brasseurs d'Ici opened a location on Eddy St. really close to the Chaud bridge. They have good selection too.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

For family friendly, pretty much everything in Ottawa is fine. If you can make the trek, Cheshire Cat is by far my favourite. Local at Landsdowne works as well.

Tooth and Nail is definitely worth a stop if you are in the BTP area. I've really liked everything I've had from them lately.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Sweet, thanks guys.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Managed to hit up BTP and T&N. super impressed with tooth and nail. not so much BTP but i do enjoy me some pink fuzz.

didn't really get to check out much from the bar/pub scene beyond local and a place right beside t&n that was really good. ah well.

hit up brouehaha and MDBD but there wasn't a whole lot there that was very interesting. got a 4 pack of peche for $10 tho!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I will be in Ottawa the weekend after next for a work function and am looking to make the most of things and check out the craft beer scene as I’ve never been. I should have a couple of hours on Friday evening and a good chunk of time Saturday afternoon for personal (i.e., drinking) time. I won’t have access to a vehicle, but will be staying at a hotel right by the Byward Market and there seem to be a lot of good options that are walking distance. I’m most interested in trying things that aren’t regularly/ever available in Toronto. I like most styles of beer, though super hoppy IPA/APAs aren’t my thing. I’m more into Belgian ales (particularly tripels) and malt-forward styles (stout/porter, German bocks, English barleywines etc.)

I’ve done some homework by reading this thread and consulting RB and BA and I am thinking of hitting up Brothers Beer Bistro and The Black Tomato on Friday evening. On Saturday, I am contemplating walking over the bridge into Hull and hitting up Gainsbourg and Brasseurs du Temps. Google maps suggests it’s about a half hour walk to Gainsbourg from my hotel and then another 10 to reach BdT, which is actually closer than staying in Ottawa and checking out Tooth and Nail and Beyond the Pale.

After my sessions at Gainsbourg and BdT, I plan to stop at Marche des Brasseurs d’Ici and pick up a few bottles to bring back. Would love to make it to Broue Ha Ha, but again I’m without a car so that isn’t in the cards. My goal is just to bring back a few things you don’t regularly see in Ontario.

Just though I’d reach out to the BTers who frequent or live in Ottawa to see if they have any thoughts on my game plan. How should I allocate my time between Brothers/Black Tomato on Friday? Is walking over to the Hull side as easy as it appears to be? Is Marche des Brasseurs a good choice of depanneur or is there a better option within a 10 minute radius of Gainsbourg/BdT? Is there any other place or a particular beer that I would be remiss to skip?

It’s worth noting that I’ll be very well fed at a number of company events Friday and Saturday so I don’t really need to factor food into my bar/brewpub selection because I won’t be ordering anything to eat other than perhaps a light snack.

Thanks in advance!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Provost Drunk wrote:I will be in Ottawa the weekend after next for a work function and am looking to make the most of things and check out the craft beer scene as I’ve never been. I should have a couple of hours on Friday evening and a good chunk of time Saturday afternoon for personal (i.e., drinking) time. I won’t have access to a vehicle, but will be staying at a hotel right by the Byward Market and there seem to be a lot of good options that are walking distance. I’m most interested in trying things that aren’t regularly/ever available in Toronto. I like most styles of beer, though super hoppy IPA/APAs aren’t my thing. I’m more into Belgian ales (particularly tripels) and malt-forward styles (stout/porter, German bocks, English barleywines etc.)

I’ve done some homework by reading this thread and consulting RB and BA and I am thinking of hitting up Brothers Beer Bistro and The Black Tomato on Friday evening. On Saturday, I am contemplating walking over the bridge into Hull and hitting up Gainsbourg and Brasseurs du Temps. Google maps suggests it’s about a half hour walk to Gainsbourg from my hotel and then another 10 to reach BdT, which is actually closer than staying in Ottawa and checking out Tooth and Nail and Beyond the Pale.

After my sessions at Gainsbourg and BdT, I plan to stop at Marche des Brasseurs d’Ici and pick up a few bottles to bring back. Would love to make it to Broue Ha Ha, but again I’m without a car so that isn’t in the cards. My goal is just to bring back a few things you don’t regularly see in Ontario.

Just though I’d reach out to the BTers who frequent or live in Ottawa to see if they have any thoughts on my game plan. How should I allocate my time between Brothers/Black Tomato on Friday? Is walking over to the Hull side as easy as it appears to be? Is Marche des Brasseurs a good choice of depanneur or is there a better option within a 10 minute radius of Gainsbourg/BdT? Is there any other place or a particular beer that I would be remiss to skip?

It’s worth noting that I’ll be very well fed at a number of company events Friday and Saturday so I don’t really need to factor food into my bar/brewpub selection because I won’t be ordering anything to eat other than perhaps a light snack.

Thanks in advance!
I'd pass on Black Tomato and Brothers on Friday. The Tomato is more of a restaurant and Brothers is heavy on Toronto beers. Go to Hintonburg instead. You can take the transitway from Rideau Centre or pay the $10 for Uber, you'll have a much better night. Hang out at Tooth and Nail and Hintonburg Public House. The latter should have the best local selection. Elmdale, Supply and Demand, BtP are all good stops for beer and snacks.

The walk across the bridge is fine, but can be something fierce with a bit of wind.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool