Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

K-W

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tupalev wrote:Hey KW folks - I am having some people from out of town tomorrow up for a visit - if they were interested in samplers at the Huether, is it best to drink upstairs or downstairs? I like the downstairs a lot more, but I've never really seen anyone but staff a the bar before. Upstairs is fine but sort of sports bar'ish. Just curious, thanks for any tips.
the downstairs does samplers and has a way better atmosphere + you could call ahead and organize a tour of the old lagering cellars. the upstairs is fine if you go when its slow, or you could book the room at the back

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Thanks Matt

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Reviving this old thread.
Where are the places to go in Waterloo these days? Will be there Sunday afternoon/evening. Innocente may be closed by the time we get there. Was considering Kick Off or Beertown, with a slight edge towards Kick Off since we will be close to UW campus. Are both decent options to eat?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

JerCraigs wrote:Reviving this old thread.
Where are the places to go in Waterloo these days? Will be there Sunday afternoon/evening. Innocente may be closed by the time we get there. Was considering Kick Off or Beertown, with a slight edge towards Kick Off since we will be close to UW campus. Are both decent options to eat?
Kickoffs is closed Aug 15 to Sept 2 since students will be gone after exams.

They don't have much in terms of food but the waffle fries and nachos are good, at least they were when I was a drunk student 3 years ago.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

There's Imbibe as well, with 6 taps

http://www.imbibefooddrink.ca
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Lancaster Smokehouse. 16 craft taps and BBQ!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Lancaster Smokehouse. 16 craft taps and BBQ!
I understand that place is fairly popular. What's the tap selection and BBQ like?

We may have a trip out that way to visit some friends. I've been thinking about trying it but have gotten tired of pathetic BBQ.
lister

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

lister wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Lancaster Smokehouse. 16 craft taps and BBQ!
I understand that place is fairly popular. What's the tap selection and BBQ like?

We may have a trip out that way to visit some friends. I've been thinking about trying it but have gotten tired of pathetic BBQ.
I went once about 2 years ago and the food was very good. The beer selection was okay at the time (could have gotten better since). Mostly flagships from OCB breweries.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

lister wrote:I understand that place is fairly popular. What's the tap selection and BBQ like?

I like the BBQ, it's no Slow's or Dinosaur BBQ, but it holds its own.

This is what's on their website right now.

Hogsback Premium Lager
Beau's Lugtread Lagered Ale
Steamwhistle Pilsner
Muskoka Dark Ale
Muskoka Cream Ale
Muskoka Mad Tom IPA
Flying Monkey Antigravity Light
Creemore Springs Lager
Mill St. Organic
Mill St. Tankhouse Ale
Mill St. Stock Ale

I believe they have 4-8 rotating taps as well. Unless that has changed within the last 2-3 months.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I'll be there this week and will report the tap list, because the above/website is out of date.

Food is great. Recently featured on You Gotta Eat Here.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Another new brewery/brewpub opening up soon in Waterloo. Abe Erb.

Not much info available on these guys, but as far as I've heard, more marketers getting into craft beer. I'll reserve judgement until they actually put something out.

On another note, Together We're Bitter may be close to getting a location. I've tried two beers from the brewer and liked both of them, so I'm looking forward to their other offerings.

The Bent Elbow is up to 34 beers on tap now. They started with 20ish, with only 3 rotating taps, and now only have 3-4 that don't rotate.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Was up in Waterloo today. Passed by Kick Off but it was closed. I dunno. Bent Elbow, Imbibe, Lancaster, Borealis, Beertown, maybe even Gastropub 29 all looked like better bets for K-W, no? Can't say for sure, because while I've been to those I've never been to Kick Off.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

midlife crisis wrote:Was up in Waterloo today. Passed by Kick Off but it was closed. I dunno. Bent Elbow, Imbibe, Lancaster, Borealis, Beertown, maybe even Gastropub 29 all looked like better bets for K-W, no? Can't say for sure, because while I've been to those I've never been to Kick Off.
Kick Off has weird hours, I haven't been in quite some time, but they were pretty big supporters of Craftoberfest over the last 3 weeks. Multiple posts on Facebook about kegs changing daily.

That being said, a lot of the same stuff was/is available at the Bent Elbow, which is only a 5 minute drive/10-15 minute walk for me. Unfortunately, they aren't open on Sundays.

The Elbow also has a case each of the 4 Mad Hatter beers that were available at the Bier Market dinner. Oak Aged Hatter, Black Hatter, Imperial Hatter, and Rye Hatter.