Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Eli

Post by Eli »

groulxsome wrote:Not showing any stock yet (that I can see), but Parallel 49 Snap Crackle Hop Imperial Rice IPA and Black Hops are both on the shelf at QQ.

Product numbers are different than in the original release, that's why:

386201 for the Rice IPA
Saw these 2 on the shelf at King & Spa today. The IPA had a lot of sediment on it but still bought one.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

spinrsx wrote:and another radler..

BAVARIA GRAPEFRUIT RADLER+
LCBO 359869 | 500 mL can
Price $ 2.45

and this is back:

HOFBRAEU OKTOBERFESTBIER
LCBO 84889 | 500 mL bottle
Price: $ 3.10

GRAPEFRUIT RADLERS....overflowing shelves soon at an LCBO near you.

GRAPEFRUIT RADLERS....the new Pumpkin beer.

GRAPEFRUIT RADLERS....Your Mom thinks they're really refreshing.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I like grapefruit radlers, but I wish they'd hit the shelves earlier than mid August. I've probably had 4 or 5 Stiegls this summer.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

squeaky wrote:I like grapefruit radlers, but I wish they'd hit the shelves earlier than mid August. I've probably had 4 or 5 Stiegls this summer.
I won't lie, I've had a few of the Stiegls this summer and Waterloo's version. I just hope we don't end up with 8 or 9 different Grapefruit Radlers on shelves.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I'm not a fan of grapefruit so I haven't bothered with any of the typical radlers however Amsterdams blood orange radler is very nice. I had a few last Saturday at the Brewhouse while staring out at the water.
lister

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The Stiegl sells like gangbusters at my 3 LCBO locals.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:
atomeyes wrote:that's pretty much what JP is.
boring as hell on tap.
mostly good in bottles.
amazing at the 1 year anniversary of bottling.
most taste similar (except the fruit ones, Bier du Mars and their XY Saison).
will gush unless chilled to 2 C.
Good info atomz. I think I had a horribly bland experience of Jolly Pumpkin on-tap, truly unworthy letdown and that made me doubt. But the Calabanza Blanca bottling is truly a cellar-worthy beer and a case-buy if it ages as you say. I really like it right now as it is - does it stay really good beyond 12 months or should it be guzzled away like a portfaring sailor with more gold than sense?

It's truly cool there are beers that will - like a good Chateau-Neufdupape - truly reward aging by unlocking a great taste experience. Thanks.
i have a friend that works in michigan frequently. so i had a cellarful of JP.
i talked to Ron Jeffries about it and he agreed. 12 months is def the sweet spot. when you have 2 year old JP, the brett just takes over and they all taste the exact same.
fresh, on-tap JP is pretty much as disappointing as you get. except the Bam IPA. that was very good. the funk was minimal and it worked well. had their chestnut stout or whatever it was at Hopcat and it was a waste of $$.

i have some old Cal Blanca in my cellar. will check the date and if it's over a year old, i'll open one and let you know what i think.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well maybe a half case then, and I mark the calender. I've been hurt before.
In Beerum Veritas

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Belgian wrote:Well maybe a half case then, and I mark the calender. I've been hurt before.
Make sure your calendar mark is four months and a week from now. :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Porter Weisse is hitting shelves, auzgezeignet! Nice to see them making friends with the English styles of beer.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

St. Bernardus Wit showing stock now

and this is back..

Beau's Nightmarzen Oktoberfest Lager $4.35

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

spinrsx wrote:mentioned this last week in the BC beer thread. Also, they are showing stock on foodanddrink

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=386201
groulxsome wrote:Not showing any stock yet (that I can see), but Parallel 49 Snap Crackle Hop Imperial Rice IPA and Black Hops are both on the shelf at QQ.

anyone tried that BC mix pack? Is it worth picking up, or is it pretty mediocre?

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Hawks28 wrote:
spinrsx wrote:mentioned this last week in the BC beer thread. Also, they are showing stock on foodanddrink

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=386201

anyone tried that BC mix pack? Is it worth picking up, or is it pretty mediocre?
Four Winds Saison: Probably one of the best of the bunch. Big bubblegum, citrus, lots of orange and other yeast phenolics in the taste. Little bread yeast poking through, and slightly sweet. If you like the more phenolic and less crisp saison (not I!), it’s a nice example.

Whistler Bear Paw Honey Lager: Much better than I expected. Brown malt and honey aroma. Definite honey sweetness into a somewhat sticky honey finish. Lots of sticky honey. Nothing if not endearing.

Dead Frog Bold Belgian Pale Ale: Worst of the lot. Bad, poorly thought through beer. Ill-conceived like an amateur homebrew. Hops read as grassy and green, malt is overthought and heavy, and the yeast is lost. Needs editing!

R&B Raven Cream Ale: No one likes the pale cream ale anymore, apparently. Dark. Interesting beer. Nutty and caramel, almost like a big mild. Oddly light in strange ways. Again, somewhat endearing but not very good. (If you like the Bell City Cream Ale, you’ll like this. Similar dark “pre prohibition” things.)

Phillips Elsinore Lager: Well intentioned enough, but very light malt character and leaves most of the work for spicy hops which kinda carry the beer. Very North American Lager. Not quite as good as Cameron’s, at least at the age of these bottles.

Steamworks Pilsner: The other candidate for best of the lot. Clearly more Czech/creamy and balanced, but the Saphir hops give it a Firestone Pivo vibe. Spicy and Tangerine aromatics.

So we end up with one total dud, a very average lager, an above average honey beer, an old mild-ish “cream ale,” and a solid saison and pils. Fun to taste, but probably a pass unless you really want to try something.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

This beer wasn't for me, but I know some of you loved it (Belgian?) Queens Quay had maybe a dozen Dupont Cerversia's on the shelf at around 3 this afternoon. I'm guessing they just found an old case somewhere around back, but who knows?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

DAB DARK LAGER+
LCBO 384677 | 500 mL can
Price N/A

DOWNHILL PALE ALE
Canada | The Collingwood Brew
LCBO 397786 | 473 mL | $ 2.85

and these are back:

FLYING MONKEYS THE CHOCOLATE MANIFESTO