Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2014 Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Blasphomet wrote:Meeeeeow! I drink what comes in, sweetheart. :D

Odd though, since none of the beer in this style rate at 100 for style.. which means there must be no point of reference to what the perfect gueuze is at all LOL!
That will probably always be the case with styles that need an acquired taste like belgian sour ales. Someone will inevitably try it thinking they like craft beer so why not this rare gueuze, then be surprised that it is sour and think something is wrong with it.

Much lower barrier of entry drinking to get used to drinking hop bombs than sours.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

liamt07 wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Somewhat surprised at it's 'style' rating on RB.
Probably because you haven't had the top beers in that style, and lack an accurate point of reference.
Meeeeeow! I drink what comes in, sweetheart. :D

Odd though, since none of the beer in this style rate at 100 for style.. which means there must be no point of reference to what the perfect gueuze is at all LOL!

Have you tried many? I bet you've tried 'em all!

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Blasphomet wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
Probably because you haven't had the top beers in that style, and lack an accurate point of reference.

Yeah! There aren't any 100's in this style!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/3-fonteine ... auw/46868/

Because real gueuze is a relatively rare style (and thus there are not a large number of examples that exist), there will be a very small number of 100 style ratings, as opposed to something like an IPA or an imperial stout. This will also give very good gueuzes a relatively low style rating, independent of how good they actually taste. Might be useful to look at anything in the style > 80 style rating.

Nonetheless, a 32 rating for style isn't good at all. And this beer ain't great either.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I'll take whatever gueuze I can get from the lcbo regime. Beggars can't be choosers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

liamt07 wrote:Yeah! There aren't any 100's in this style!

Because real gueuze is a relatively rare style (and thus there are not a large number of examples that exist), there will be a very small number of 100 style ratings, as opposed to something like an IPA or an imperial stout. This will also give very good gueuzes a relatively low style rating, independent of how good they actually taste. Might be useful to look at anything in the style > 80 style rating.

Nonetheless, a 32 rating for style isn't good at all. And this beer ain't great either.
Or else they are all very good, and the best ones are just those over the 67th percentile. You've just made either argument. Personally I think Fond Tradition is glorified duck's piss but I hope other people will like it. I did like regular Belle Vue Gueuze even though I was aware it was an 'adulterated' simple commercial style, it had some balanced non-sticky sweetness, a complex tartness that wasn't a trainwreck of off-flavors and vinegar, and all kinds of nice funky cellar nuances enjoyable for the non-sourheads (that's me.) It was a great food pairing beer and I drank cases of it around 1999.

Come to think I haven't even TRIED the bottles of Drei Fonteinen I bought a year or two ago. I sort of expect it will taste like more refined duck piss... however I remain open-minded as my palate will tolerate. That's the adventure in it all.
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Belgian wrote:Personally I think Fond Tradition is glorified duck's piss
I really need to get around to sampling more animal piss. Is there a Bar Towel equivalent for urine sampling?

Eli

Post by Eli »

Blasphomet wrote:
liamt07 wrote:

Gueuze fight!

Personally, St Louis only rates behind the obvious Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen, and Timmermans. So happy LCBO brought this.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I've always quite liked Fond Tradition, to be honest, but tastes differ. I always thought it would probably score higher if it was the same exact gueuze made by someone else other than St. Louis/van Honsebrouck. To that, I held a blind tasting maybe 2 or so years ago that included Fond Tradition, Cantillon Bio, Tilquin, Hanssens, Cuvee Rene and Mariage Parfait. Between 3 people, Fond Tradition tied for second. Not saying it's a world beater, but it's certainly serviceable.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:
liamt07 wrote:Yeah! There aren't any 100's in this style!

Or else they are all very good, and the best ones are just those over the 67th percentile. You've just made either argument. Personally I think Fond Tradition is glorified duck's piss but I hope other people will like it. I did like regular Belle Vue Gueuze even though I was aware it was an 'adulterated' simple commercial style, it had some balanced non-sticky sweetness, a complex tartness that wasn't a trainwreck of off-flavors and vinegar, and all kinds of nice funky cellar nuances enjoyable for the non-sourheads (that's me.) It was a great food pairing beer and I drank cases of it around 1999.

Come to think I haven't even TRIED the bottles of Drei Fonteinen I bought a year or two ago. I sort of expect it will taste like more refined duck piss... however I remain open-minded as my palate will tolerate. That's the adventure in it all.
If you do find that your DrieF taste like duck piss, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

spotted the fond tradition on the totalwine.com webpage:

St Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition
375ml
$9.99 + CRV

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

squeaky wrote:If you do find that your DrieF taste like duck piss, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
Thanks man! I wish I could enjoy more Gueuze, it's likely more due to my personal limits of sour tolerance than how good they must be to people from Mars. Truly a baffling thing, as I can enjoy the most tannic wines and those aren't so pretty.
In Beerum Veritas

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I think the Fond Tradition is pretty good. It is certainly not in the league of Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen, but who is expecting it to be? Gueuze is probably my favourite stye of beer, and I am certainly glad to have some Fond Tradition in the basement to drink when the mood strikes. One benefit to having some "lesser" gueuze around is that I can just happily drink it instead of wondering if I should save it for later - which inevitably happens with the more expensive/harder to find examples.

In any event, very happy anytime the LCBO brings in a lambic! Beggers can't be choosers. I probably should have bought more - didn't expect it to move this quickly.
Ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jrenihan wrote:I think the Fond Tradition is pretty good. One benefit to having some "lesser" gueuze around is that I can just happily drink it instead of wondering if I should save it for later - which inevitably happens with the more expensive/harder to find examples.
Yup. I drank through mine despite my reservations, it has some character. Are there any good recipes for cooking with a beer like this? And can any of you "Gary" together a beer cocktail that is less sharply lemony/vinegary? I know it's a sacreleige but I'm jsut trying to get along with a difficult beer style.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Belgian wrote:
jrenihan wrote:I think the Fond Tradition is pretty good. One benefit to having some "lesser" gueuze around is that I can just happily drink it instead of wondering if I should save it for later - which inevitably happens with the more expensive/harder to find examples.
Yup. I drank through mine despite my reservations, it has some character. Are there any good recipes for cooking with a beer like this? And can any of you "Gary" together a beer cocktail that is less sharply lemony/vinegary? I know it's a sacreleige but I'm jsut trying to get along with a difficult beer style.
Gueuze or a gueuze cream sauce over muscles is classic and heavenly!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

er......."mussels". Haha