Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

distr0

Zwanze Day 2014

Post by distr0 »

Surprised to not see anything about this yet. Locations were posted earlier today. I haven't seen any details on ticket sale dates yet.
Dear Zwanzeurs, here is the list of the bars where the Zwnaze Day 2014 will take place on 20/09/2014. We are happy to welcome 2 new countries : Australia and Germany ! We will update the locations for Japan and British Columbia asap.

USA

- Alewife Queens -- Long Island City, New York
- Apex – Portland, Oregon
- Armsby Abbey -- Worcester, Massachusetts
- Avenue Pub -- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Bagby Beer – Oceanside, California
- Beachwood BBQ -- Seal Beach, California
- Bier Station – Kansas City, Missouri
- Birch Bar -- Norfolk, Virginia
- ChurchKey -- Washington, D.C.
- Crooked Stave Barrel Cellar -- Denver, Colorado
- Hill Farmstead Brewery -- Greensboro, Vermont
- Holy Grale -- Louisville, Kentucky
- Jester King Brewery -- Austin, Texas
- Lord Hobo - Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Mikkeller Bar SF -- San Francisco, California
- Monk's Café -- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Novare Res Bier Café -- Portland, Maine
- REAL a Gastropub -- Honolulu, Hawai'i
- Redlight, Redlight -- Orlando, Florida
- Russian River Brewing -- Santa Rosa, California
- Schera’s – Elkader, Iowa
- Spuyten Duyvil -- Brooklyn, New York
- West Lakeview Liquors -- Chicago, Illinois

CANADA

- Dieu du Ciel -- Montréal, Québec
- barVolo -- Toronto, Ontario
- One location in British Columbia still to come

ITALIE

- Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà -- Rome
- The Dome -- Nembro
- Sherwood Pub -- Nicorvo
- The Drunken Duck -- Quinto Vicentino
- Ristopub Margherita -- Quartu Sant’Elena
- Ottavonano -- Atripalda

BELGIUM

- Moeder Lambic Fontainas -- Brussels
- Moeder Lambic Saint-Gilles -- Brussels
- Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon – Arlon
- Rose Red -- Brugge

AUSTRALIA

- Belgian Beer Café -- Melbourne

JAPAN

- 2 locations still to come

NORWAY

- Nøgne Ø -- Grimstad

FINLAND

- Pikkulitu -- Helsinki

DENMARK

- Olbutikken -- Copenhagen

GERMANY

- Café Herman -- Berlin

NEDERLAND

- De Bierkoning -- Amsterdam

SWEDEN

- Akkurat -- Stockholm

SPAIN

- Masia Agullons -- Sant Joan de Mediona

FRANCE

- La Fine Mousse -- Paris
- La Capsule -- Lille

GREAT BRITAIN

- The Dove Broadway Market -- London
- Kernel Brewery -- Bermondsey
- Six° North -- Aberdeen

SWITZERLAND

- Erzbierschof -- Liebefeld

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'll be getting my ticket as soon as Volo announces the plan :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Zwanze day at Volo was hands down my favourite event last year. It was as much about Volo's "We Live For The Funk" theme as it was Zwanze. Sadly, an inconsiderate relative decided to book their wedding on that day a whole 6 months before the date of Zwanze was even announced, so I'll be missing it. Pretty gutted, to be honest. Have fun for me, gents!

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Can't wait, last year was great. Though I was a bit disappointed in some of the Ontario offerings last year, hope they're a bit better this year. Same with Zwanze itself.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Didn't make it last year, but will try to be there this time. I enjoyed sampling some of the funky brews a while back at a Bar Hop event and imagine this to be even better.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Nice to have this in Toronto Beer Week this year - fortunate good timing!

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Anyone have insight on when Volo will release details?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here's some more info on the beer, posted by Cantillon:
Dear Zwanze enthusiasts,

Some of you have already had the opportunity to taste Iris Grand Cru aged 3 years in a 400-litre cask. This product was sold without having been blended with a younger beer and so there was no possibility of secondary fermentation. As a result, Iris Grand Cru is a non-sparkling beer and it is meant to be drunk like cereal wine. Without cold hopping, its fragrances tend more towards the characteristic acidity of a spontaneous fermentation product associated with a slight caramel taste.

In other news, my eldest son, Florian, turned 18 on 3 May. To duly celebrate his transition to adulthood, and as the worthy son of a lambic brewer, Flo received a rather original birthday gift: an entire cask filled with “Cuvée Florian”.

Admittedly, finding the name was easy, but it was another matter to come up with the actual beer we were going to produce on this occasion. When I first tasted the Iris Grand Cru, I immediately thought that adding a touch of fruitiness to the caramel accent could be very complementary. And since my son’s favourite beer is kriek, I based myself on a mix of these two products to create his birthday present.

As my goal was not to create some kind of kriek clone, I reduced the amount of fruit by 40% in this blend with the Iris Grand Cru. After all, the core idea was to contribute fruitiness and mellowness to the base beer, not recreate a beer that tasted like sour cherries. Although cold-hopping with the same quantities used for “traditional” Iris would probably have masked the blend’s very subtle fragrances, I still wanted to add a touch of bitterness to this birthday present and decided to opt for a small dose of superb and very delicate Bramling Cross hops. The linger on the palate is very complex while the fruity fragrances of the hops play a subtle role without throwing off balance the beer's range of flavours and bouquet.

For this Zwanze 2014 I had originally planned on using the spontaneous fermentation stout brewed at the beginning of 2013, but despite the fact that this beer is already very good I have the feeling that another year of maturing in a cask will give it more delicateness and character. In light of this we needed another beer to replace our “wild” stout so as to be able to organise our Zwanze Day, and as you will undoubtedly have understood by now, the success of “Cuvée Florian” meant that it did not take very long for us to make a decision.

I did ask the kid if he was OK with me making a new version of his birthday present, and since this was not a problem for him, it was only logical to call this Zwanze 2014 “Cuvée Florian”!

Happy birthday, son!

Jean Van Roy

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

last year's zwanze, frankly, sucked ass. the highlight was the keg of Iris Volo had on tap the following week.
this Zwanze should be killer.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Hmmm... I work that afternoon. :( time to request a shift switch!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

From twitter:
Tickets for Cantillon #ZwanzeDay & Funk Night 2014 will go on sale Monday, September 8th @ 12:00pm sharp. Event is limited to 250 tickets.

uno99

Post by uno99 »

Cass wrote:From twitter:
Tickets for Cantillon #ZwanzeDay & Funk Night 2014 will go on sale Monday, September 8th @ 12:00pm sharp. Event is limited to 250 tickets.
So do we have to line up at volo or will they be sold on the website?

EDIT - nevermind I found the answer: Tickets will be sold online only. They will set up an event page on their website
@Wongafootball

distr0

Post by distr0 »

wasn't it ~4 minutes till they sold out last year?

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Thought it was like 2 minutes. Either way I got mine an hour later thanks to someone who never completed their payment.

As someone coming from out of town I was hoping they'd be released a little earlier than this. Oh well, shouldn't matter.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

They're sure taking their time to post a link to the event. It's almost the end of the day Friday, and there's nothing up.

I had a great time last time, although for me the actual Zwanze beer was one of my least favorites. For once, the prices of some of the other pours were "reasonable". I hope someone posts the link to the event website here if it is going on sale Monday.