Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quebec City

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

al

Quebec City

Post by al »

Hi all

I'm of on vacation for just over a week, leaving on July 30/05. We are going to do some camping first and then spend two nights in Quebec City.
So we are looking for suggestions as to where to go for beer, food and if any has any must sees... in Quebec City, that would be Great. Thank you very much.
We may also stop of in Monteal for a night.

Al

PierreBiere

Post by PierreBiere »

Check out Josh Oakes' Quebec beer roadtrip article on ratebeer, "THE BLOND, BLANCHE, ROUSSE ET NOIR TOUR":
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-515.htm

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This is a couple of years old but I think still applicable:

http://www.bartowel.com/reports/quebec.phtml

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

If you stop in Montreal I don't recommend going to Brutopia. Very watery thin beer. I really enjoyed Le Chavel Blanc though. Nice cool atmosphere and good beer.
lister

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

PierreBiere wrote:Check out Josh Oakes' Quebec beer roadtrip article on ratebeer, "THE BLOND, BLANCHE, ROUSSE ET NOIR TOUR":
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-515.htm

Plus, I went there a couple of years ago as well on my way out to Halifax:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=228

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:Le Chavel Blanc
sp. Cheval Blanc (= White Horse.)

Quebec City has few disappointments, but be sure to also look around the lower town for restaurants, etc. Try the Tarte Lapin (rabbit pie) and Caribou Stew (seasoned with maple.)

Creperie Cote Breton has nice fast crepes for any time of day, I usually go there 3 or 4 times in a visit!

I forget the name of a great café hidden on a twisty little street off the main drag (going east.) You will find your own discoveries I'm sure. This is a very European little city.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:sp. Cheval Blanc (= White Horse.)
Yeah I know. Keyboard finger screwup.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I thin a "Charvel" is an electric guitar from San Dimas CA, not a Mtl. brewpub!
In Beerum Veritas

al

Post by al »

Thanks for the suggestions. We head out tomorrow morning.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Digging up an old one.

Heading out to Quebec City for both of the next two weekends (business & personal).

Any new places to check out? Heard about Corsaire on the other side of the water which sounds like a good place.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

lister wrote:If you stop in Montreal I don't recommend going to Brutopia. Very watery thin beer. I really enjoyed Le Chavel Blanc though. Nice cool atmosphere and good beer.
Benelux on Sherbrooke is outstanding, and very close to 24,385 hotels.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

There was an article about pubs on Saint Jean Street in Bieres et Plaisirs, Oct 2009. In French, but you'll get the gist:

http://journal.bieresetplaisirs.com/arc ... _10-09.pdf

I went to Quebec City a few months ago and tried several of the pubs in the article. I really liked Bateau de Nuit. It's a dark and dingy, but the owner is super friendly and was willing to talk to me about Quebec beers en francias. He has a few books on QC micros at the bar in case you need a conversation starter. Some hard-to-find QC beers on tap. There's a separate article on this place on page 2. Based on my single visit there, BdN seems to pick up after 10pm or whenever the local punk band shows up to play.

Lots of tatoos and probably a near-complete line-up of Unibroue at Ninkasi. Busy if there is a game on.

Sacrilege didn't have a whole lot on tap, but you'll feel like one of the locals if your able to get a seat and sip your Cheval Blanc in the tiled, back-patio-like area.

A trip to the Corsaire is always a good idea, but it is probably best in the evening so you can see the lights of the city from across the river. And if you miss the ferry, you can always go back for another pint.

La Barbarie is downtown in the Lowertown area on St. Roch. Since they don't have food, you might consider duck confit pizza at Mo's Urban Tavern around the corner on Saint Joseph for dinner. (There are some amazing bakeries on St. Joseph if you in the area during the day.)

If you have wheels, the brewpub on L'Ile d'Orleans is about 30 minutes away. It has a very nice view of the river, and you can see the Montmorency Falls on the way there. Don't pay for the cable car. Just drive to the top.

Also for people with cars, Depanneur de la Rive is a must if you're looking to fill up your trunk and break some laws regarding interprovincial transport of alcohol. It's a dep that sells QC micros and basically nothing else. Floor to ceiling beer.
http://www.depdelarive.com/main.php?action=Default

If you don't have a car, there are a couple of stores along St. Jean with good selections. Also, try the market in the Old Port. See ads in the PDF.

Not so impressive: L'Inox. Nothing wrong with the look and feel of the place, but their beer tasted like my first homebrew.

On a non-beer-related note, Paillard on St. Jean is a fun place for breakfast or lunch.
http://www.paillard.ca/

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Brews Phillips wrote:Also for people with cars, Depanneur de la Rive is a must if you're looking to fill up your trunk and break some laws regarding interprovincial transport of alcohol. It's a dep that sells QC micros and basically nothing else. Floor to ceiling beer.
http://www.depdelarive.com/main.php?action=Default
Why can't I have a corner grocery stocked like that in my neighbourhood??? I'll put up with 5 years of a Tim Hudak government for that.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

I was in QC just over a year ago and if you are looking for bottles you need to go to Dépanneur La Duchesse D'Aiguillon. From what I remember the owners bought the place a few months prior and one of them knew/was related to someone at Hopfenstark. Needless to say, I stocked up. Definitely better than JA Moison for beer. Although, it's a little worrisome that there website is no longer up. Also, +1 on Depanneur de la Rive.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the tips, especially the writeup Brews. It's looking pretty cold (-8 to -15) but I'll keep myself warm with many Quebecoise beers.