Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kolsch: what is it to you?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Kolsch: what is it to you?

Post by iguenard »

So an interesting discussion came out of the LCBO forum I wanna try to give it some life over here since opinions are so diverse.

Whats a good Kolsch to you? And what beer is the best representative of the style to you?

Granted we havent all had the chance to walk around Cologne in our travels, but other styles have traveled well, but not the Kolsch for some reason (freshness?).

Beau's have been thrown out as a sample. So has Kruhnen's.

What makes a good kolsch, and what beer would you say most represents it.

For reference: http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/kolsch/39/

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

The ratebeer list is skewed because of the vast majority of North Americans rating and the majority of them never having set foot in Cologne (Köln).

My tops are:

Früh
Reissdorf
Päffgen

Then for the North American versions:

Coast 32/50
Beau's Lug
Schlafly

I need to try the Kruhnen.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

BJCP is always a good resource for stylistic guidelines. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1c

Overall Impression: A clean, crisp, delicately balanced beer usually with very subtle fruit flavors and aromas. Subdued maltiness throughout leads to a pleasantly refreshing tang in the finish. To the untrained taster easily mistaken for a light lager, a somewhat subtle Pilsner, or perhaps a blonde ale.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

ercousin wrote:BJCP is always a good resource for stylistic guidelines. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1c

Overall Impression: A clean, crisp, delicately balanced beer usually with very subtle fruit flavors and aromas. Subdued maltiness throughout leads to a pleasantly refreshing tang in the finish.
That pretty much describes a really fresh Lug Tread, IMO.

I've had bottles less than a week old that have been fantastic. But it doesn't hold up to age well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's a good reason to go to Dortmund.

8)
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I can't really contribute to this in a meaningful way, but thought I'd mention that I had Kolsch that Kilannan was selling at the end of June and really enjoyed it.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I really enjoyed the Stoudt's Karnival Kolsch that came out a few summers ago.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I tend to order the Reissdorf a lot when I'm at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

GregClow wrote:
ercousin wrote:BJCP is always a good resource for stylistic guidelines. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1c

Overall Impression: A clean, crisp, delicately balanced beer usually with very subtle fruit flavors and aromas. Subdued maltiness throughout leads to a pleasantly refreshing tang in the finish.

I've had bottles less than a week old that have been fantastic. But it doesn't hold up to age well.
Rebuttal, Beau's haters? For the record, I agree with Greg.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Once you start discussing whether or not a beer is to style you are in the domain of beer judging and BJCP.

When I'm judging a beer if it hits all the points within the range of the style with no flaws it usually falls somewhere in the 30's (out of 50). Then it you have the consider how well balanced all the components (bitterness vs residual sweetness), balance of fruit esters and malt flavours to push it up into the 40's. It takes a a perfect mix of refinement, beer condition, and some of that "je ne sais quoi/magic" to make a world class example (44+).

It might very well be the case that Beau's Lug Tread would score in the high 30's or low 40's when fresh but low 30's when not fresh. Beer condition plays a major role.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

midlife crisis wrote:
GregClow wrote:

Rebuttal, Beau's haters? For the record, I agree with Greg.
I have to confess, I just can't bring myself to try Lug Tread again. The first time I tried it I had a bad bottle. It was full of off-flavours. I wish I could pull up my BA review, but BA seems to be down at the moment.

I can't remember off the top of my head what was wrong with it, I just remember it being a very unpleasant experience I don't want to relive.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Agreed with Greg. If you get Lug Tread right out of the gate, within a week or ten days, it's a great beer. Much after that and it's a bit middling.
saintjohnswort.ca

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

saints_gambit wrote:Agreed with Greg. If you get Lug Tread right out of the gate, within a week or ten days, it's a great beer. Much after that and it's a bit middling.
I live in Ottawa so I have had some great, really fresh lug tread. Although the last 4 pack I bought had too much sulphur flavour/aroma.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Haven't had a kolsch since a stopover at the airport in Frankfurt.
I'd have t osay my "idea" of a kolsch isn't a big differences from some pilsners, but perhaps a little heavier. Would be fun to do a kolsch "tasting" to appreciate them more.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kel Varnsen wrote:I live in Ottawa so I have had some great, really fresh lug tread. Although the last 4 pack I bought had too much sulphur flavour/aroma.
Michael Hancock says prominent sulfur can indicate very fresh beer so it might be worth giving it a gentle pour and let these VOCs blow off a few minutes. It's not a brewing flaw or damaged goods, just a by-product.
In Beerum Veritas