Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best Toronto beer event to date?

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Best Toronto beer event to date?

Post by atomeyes »

Just curious to see your favourite (or top 3) Toronto beer events.

My short list would be:

Cider take-over at Volo 2014 (will call it a "beer" event just 'cuz)
New Year's Eve, Volo 2012
Cask Days 2012
The Only's Belgian night 2014(?)
Trou du Diable takeover at The Only

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Toronto Beer Week, obviously! :wink:

The first DDC tap takeover at Volo was simply epic. I've been to a lot of great events, but nothing has come close to it in terms of quality and a damn good time. Everything just aligned - good friends, DDC's first appearance in Toronto, a small and close craft scene and an event that was head and shoulders above everything else going on at the time.

Two beer dinners come close - Brewdog at BeerBistro in TBW 2010 married awesome food with beers I still talk about despite not being the best (we finished with a 32% and 40% beer). Great Lakes at Morgans is up there too - the food at this place is seriously good and GLB is a simply amazing brewery. Disappointed we couldn't get a sitter for Monday's edition.
Last edited by Bobsy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Zwanze 2013, for the Volo cellar at reasonable prices more than anything else.

Cask Days 2011 and 2013.

There have been lots of high points outside of these. But you just can't top multiple Cantillon offerings or hundreds of casks.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

squeaky wrote:
There have been lots of high points outside of these. But you just can't top multiple Cantillon offerings or hundreds of casks.
that's why the Only's event was up there in epicness. $2 Cantillon pours. I kid not.
also, $2 De Molen Old Rasputin pours.
Bobsy wrote:

The first DDC tap takeover at Volo was simply epic. I've been to a lot of great events, but nothing has come close to it in terms of quality and a damn good time. Everything just aligned - good friends, DDC's first appearance in Toronto, a small and close craft scene and an event that was head and shoulders above everything else going on at the time.
that was the first "wow..." event i went to. insane line to get in and to get drinks. it was a good time, but, for example, the last DdC takeover at Volo was even more chill with more room to breathe and an even better tap list.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
squeaky wrote:
that's why the Only's event was up there in epicness. $2 Cantillon pours. I kid not.
Bobsy wrote:

that was the first "wow..." event i went to. insane line to get in and to get drinks. it was a good time, but, for example, the last DdC takeover at Volo was even more chill with more room to breathe and an even better tap list.
Seriously? In 2014? How the heck did I miss that?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

squeaky wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
squeaky wrote:
Bobsy wrote:

Seriously? In 2014? How the heck did I miss that?
either late 2013 or early 2014. we drank inside but the beer tables were outside. not really publicized. i knew a few people there. not much. the Volo boys were there as well. those of us there were going wild. drinking $2 pours that were 3-4 oz, i think. so bloody great.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Any of those Great Lakes / Amsterdam takeovers at Volo back in the day (and in recent days).
The DDC takeovers at Volo and WVRST in past years.
Anything Bellwoods/Great Lakes/Amsterdam at Bar Hop.

I dunno.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

The first Funk night at Volo, August 2012? That was a great night.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

so many awesome events to pick from... i can go back to the first cask days and find amazing moments at so many events. that's really what got the ball rolling. tap takeovers, funk nights, casks, collabs... the list goes on - and a bunch more that i missed and wish i'd been able to check out! This is when i really feel not being in toronto anymore... can't come to a ton of TBW events that look awesome, but I'll make the best of the ones I am hitting.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

I've always had a good time at the Funk Nights & Cask Fests, but the Unibroue dinner @ the Academy of Spherical Arts back in '04 still stands out for me. It was always a good time when you could round off the night with a bottle of 10.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Bobsy wrote:

Two beer dinners come close - Brewdog at BeerBistro in TBW 2010 married awesome food with beers I still talk about despite not being the best (we finished with a 32% and 40% beer). Great Lakes at Morgans is up there too - the food at this place is seriously good and GLB is a simply amazing brewery. Disappointed we couldn't get a sitter for Monday's edition.
That Brew Dog dinner was incredible. Wasn't horse or something like that on the menu that night? I remember the dinner costing around $100 and it definitely being worth it.

austin

Post by austin »

The first Cask Days at Volo in '05 meeting all the beer geeks and the 15 - 20 cask ales which seemed amazing at that time. The Stones night at Volo in Feb./10 was crazy good. Drinking anything Stones makes you appreciate a good mild. The day after both events I'm still trying to forget.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Trou du Diable takeover at The Only - my timing showing up there was completely chance, and besides taps there were bottle samplings of TDD's I may never see again.

Bar Volo events like DDC Tap Takeover & Cask Days - plus the 'aftermath' days of helping the place finish off the goodies.

^ Photo finish for these. Such events do not specifically promote the beers on offer because they mostly won't be available (!) so these are a labour of love in tribute to the breweries and beer styles.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Reminiscing on some beer events in the past with Zack from Toronto Brewing last night and we chatted about the Lost Abbey tasting that Matt Tweedy & I did at beerbistro at the first TBW.

Having Carnevale, Red Barn, Avant Garde, Lost and Found plus Port Old Viscosity Older Viscosity was pretty badass.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

austin wrote:The first Cask Days at Volo in '05 meeting all the beer geeks and the 15 - 20 cask ales which seemed amazing at that time. The Stones night at Volo in Feb./10 was crazy good. Drinking anything Stones makes you appreciate a good mild. The day after both events I'm still trying to forget.
Yes! That Stone event was great. February 7, 2010. Also memorable because it coincided with a great Super Bowl -- Saints over Colts, 31-17 -- and the event ended in time to catch the second half.