Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kolsch: what is it to you?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Belgian wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:I live in Ottawa so I have had some great, really fresh lug tread. Although the last 4 pack I bought had too much sulphur flavour/aroma.
Michael Hancock says prominent sulfur can indicate very fresh beer so it might be worth giving it a gentle pour and let these VOCs blow off a few minutes. It's not a brewing flaw or damaged goods, just a by-product.
Typically sulfur is an indication of insufficient lagering time, or not enough vigor during primary fermentation. Most cold fermented styles of beer have some level of sulfur though, usually faint or not noticeable.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ercousin wrote:Typically sulfur is an indication of insufficient lagering time, or not enough vigor during primary fermentation. Most cold fermented styles of beer have some level of sulfur though, usually faint or not noticeable.
^ so if I keep those bottles a few weeks longer in the fridge does that count as additional "lagering time"? Are brewers doing this early bottling intentionally, as vintners often do? Thanks er.
In Beerum Veritas

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

ercousin wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:I live in Ottawa so I have had some great, really fresh lug tread. Although the last 4 pack I bought had too much sulphur flavour/aroma.
Michael Hancock says prominent sulfur can indicate very fresh beer so it might be worth giving it a gentle pour and let these VOCs blow off a few minutes. It's not a brewing flaw or damaged goods, just a by-product.
Typically sulfur is an indication of insufficient lagering time, or not enough vigor during primary fermentation. Most cold fermented styles of beer have some level of sulfur though, usually faint or not noticeable.
Yea I looked up the style guideline for Kolsch and it seemed some faint sulphur is acceptable. Now my palate isn't that great at detecting faint flavours so this seemed like a lot more than just a faint flavour. I have never made a kolsch but my understanding too is that too short a lagering time is what brings out these flavors. I only occasionally buy Beau's but I wonder if their increased popularity means they have cut down on how long they lager LT for so that they can get it out the door faster.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Belgian wrote:
ercousin wrote:Typically sulfur is an indication of insufficient lagering time, or not enough vigor during primary fermentation. Most cold fermented styles of beer have some level of sulfur though, usually faint or not noticeable.
^ so if I keep those bottles a few weeks longer in the fridge does that count as additional "lagering time"? Are brewers doing this early bottling intentionally, as vintners often do? Thanks er.
It would depend on the levels of sulfur. A minimal amount might turn into a hint, but a prominent sulfur character would probably stay.

Some brewers seem to like that sulfur flavour since many of the most popular adjunct lagers have sulfur. Perhaps it's part of the character Beau's is shooting for to make the beer more similar to what the macro drinker is used to.

Typically early packaging would be dictated by a tight production schedule. Making lagers is expensive due to extended use of tank space. When I make lagers at home I lager them for 3-4 weeks or more, most commerical breweries don't have the luxury of tying up a fermenter for that long.

I wouldn't expect huge sulfur note from a kolsch though since it is fermented warm using a hybrid ale yeast, then crashed down for lagering. The warm fermentation would usually help push out the volatile sulfur aromatics.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Sulfur needs to escape. In a bottle it ain't got nowhere to go. It's the brewers job to wait it out during lagering.

I learned the hard way after throwing out a few batches of lagers for sulphurous aromas... Then I read up on it and felt so stupid lol.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ thanks guys. Nope, Beau's making Lug Tread Kölsch any less good by rushing it is not a good plan for them.
In Beerum Veritas

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'll be in Cologne tomorrow and Friday. I'll report back on the Kolsch!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cfrancis wrote:I'll be in Cologne tomorrow and Friday. I'll report back on the Kolsch!
Enjoy! Also really like the Dom (Cathedral) where are interred the bones of the three kings / three wise men of Christian lore. Amazing structure.

The Paulaner Am Roten Ochsen (beer hall) may have some very fine Salvator on draught, * unpasteurized * - one of the very top beers I've ever experienced.

Gift souvenirs are easy, tiny bottles of the citrusy, fresh-smelling 4711 Cologne.
In Beerum Veritas

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Belgian wrote:
cfrancis wrote:I'll be in Cologne tomorrow and Friday. I'll report back on the Kolsch!
Enjoy! Also really like the Dom (Cathedral) where are interred the bones of the three kings / three wise men of Christian lore. Amazing structure.

The Paulaner Am Roten Ochsen (beer hall) may have some very fine Salvator on draught, * unpasteurized * - one of the very top beers I've ever experienced.

Gift souvenirs are easy, tiny bottles of the citrusy, fresh-smelling 4711 Cologne.
I like Cologne. This is my sixth time there I think. We had dinner at the Früh bierhaus and then just walked around. My first time there I did the Dom and the Lock bridge, etc. I've never done the Paulaner beer hall though. I'm back on Friday, may have to look into that one. Thanks.

OH yeah, Ottawa beer folk. I've got fresh cans of Früh and Reissdorf coming home with me. Bought right from the bierhaus. Canned less than a week ago.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

DMS was my problem with Lug Tread. Cooked vegetables. I tried to be nice and say it was otherwise alright in my review, but that was back when I felt bad saying a small brewers beer wasn't good.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

^How the hell did it win the Golden taps?---seriously, I'm not a hater but it's such an average product....

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

schomberger wrote:^How the hell did it win the Golden taps?---seriously, I'm not a hater but it's such an average product....
Social media. Most breweries don't have someone hammering golden taps into their 1000+ followers. That's why GLB and Beau are locking down so many awards.

I mean what cask conditioned ale does GLB produce that warrants a golden tap?

Is Side Launch really doing that well, or do they just have good use of social media?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

ercousin wrote:
schomberger wrote:^How the hell did it win the Golden taps?---seriously, I'm not a hater but it's such an average product....
Social media. Most breweries don't have someone hammering golden taps into their 1000+ followers. That's why GLB and Beau are locking down so many awards.

Is Side Launch really doing that well, or do they just have good use of social media?
I've been buying their Weiss fresh from the brewery and loving it. Much better than any of the times I got burned buying canned Denisons.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

mintjellie wrote:
ercousin wrote:

I've been buying their Weiss fresh from the brewery and loving it. Much better than any of the times I got burned buying canned Denisons.
Fair. I've heard lots of quality complaints from friends on the pale ale and I've had a few oxidized cans of wheat. Hope they can sort this out.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

ercousin wrote: I mean what cask conditioned ale does GLB produce that warrants a golden tap?
Canucklehead? My Bitter Wife? Harry Porter? Excellent on cask. Still and all, I would have given it to Durham or Granite for overall commitment to cask.