Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kolsch: what is it to you?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

To cfrancis:

Do you consider that the Koln draft beers had a sulphur ("rotten egg"/"boiled veg") taste?

How would you compare Lugtread to these? Similar, different?

Thanks.

Gary
Gary Gillman

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

ercousin wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
ercousin wrote: Social media. Most breweries don't have someone hammering golden taps into their 1000+ followers. That's why GLB and Beau are locking down so many awards.

I mean what cask conditioned ale does GLB produce that warrants a golden tap?

Is Side Launch really doing that well, or do they just have good use of social media?
I've been buying their Weiss fresh from the brewery and loving it. Much better than any of the times I got burned buying canned Denisons.
Fair. I've heard lots of quality complaints from friends on the pale ale and I've had a few oxidized cans of wheat. Hope they can sort this out.
What sort of the complaints on the pale? I mean, I found it pretty run of the mill. But the cans I had weren't off.

And the Dunkel has been drinking nicely. I think I might crack one open now.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

G.M. Gillman wrote:To cfrancis:

Do you consider that the Koln draft beers had a sulphur ("rotten egg"/"boiled veg") taste?

How would you compare Lugtread to these? Similar, different?

Thanks.

Gary
Not at all.

I find it floral and a little fruity with a cereal malt base in Cologne.

Good fresh Lugtread is very similar, I'm in Ottawa so I'm blessed usually with very fresh. Tonight alone I was looking at bottles to send to a friend and the date on them was 9/10/14.

On tap the Cologne version is a little cleaner tasting, where the Lugtread can have some small off flavours. I need to have it again to really pin point them but I remember it's just off a bit from Cologne but definitely in the ballpark.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Okay that's very helpful, thanks.

Gary
Gary Gillman