Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crazy price for Koval Single Barrel Millet

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Crazy price for Koval Single Barrel Millet

Post by JeffPorter »

Couldn't resist grabbing one of these today, because I've always been curious when I saw it, but they're clearing it out and it's down to just $37 (from 79.95!)

I sneaked a little taste before dinner and it's pretty tasty. (Keeping in mind, I'm a whiskey noob). It struck me as a cross between bourbon (vanilla) and rye (a little spicy) with a ton of soft tree fruit and a little marshmallow and licorice.

Anyway, the woman at the store said they'd been flying off the shelf today.

It's different, but quite delicious, and, like, 55% off!

If you've ever wanted to try it, now's your chance.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/koval- ... BjCvfldXTo
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I'm totally going to give this a go. My local has a bunch in stock.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Thanks for that, going to pick up a bottle.
lister

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Stopped in at Blair/Ogilvie in Ottawa, they had a ton. Tag on shelf hadn't been updated, but rang in fine at cash as $37. Thanks for the tip!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

My pleasure! Pretty great deal for an if not usual whiskey.

For those who buy it - I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts about it.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

Thanks for the tip, picked up one in Cambridge. As previously mentioned, shelf tag was still $80

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Picked up one too - definitely looking forward to trying, seen some good reviews. Thanks for the heads up!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Gonna go grab one - there's a few right down the street from me! Thanks!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Just grabbed one of these. Coincidentally I just saw the episode of brew dogs that they visit this distillery a week ago.

It is an odd flavor, thin and sharp initially but warms into some really neat almost green grain flavors and vanilla.

I might have to try some drink recipes with it, I don't know if I love it straight.

EDIT: partway through the glass, I'm enjoying it much more. :)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

admviolin wrote:
Me too - at first I was a little shocked by the taste, but came back to it a few minutes later and it was drinking much nicer. I agree everyone might not love it straight, but it would be interesting in some mixes.

Was doing some more reading about this distillery and they make some other odd whiskies, but it doesn't strike me as gimmicky.

As for millet, they seem to absolutely love the grain. It makes up a big percentage of their bourbon, which maybe someday we'll be able to try, but I can't imagine at this price.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Not as flavourful as I hoped it would be, personally. It's pleasant, but a little bit refined for my liking. Less robust, if you get my meaning.

But hey, my favourite Scotch is Laphroaig and my favourite Canadian whiskey are Collingwood, Forty Creek, and Dark Horse. My favourite rums are Black Seal and Pussers Navy.

I'm sure this is a damn fine tipple for people who appreciate subtlety.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

admviolin wrote:Just grabbed one of these. Coincidentally I just saw the episode of brew dogs that they visit this distillery a week ago.

It is an odd flavor, thin and sharp initially but warms into some really neat almost green grain flavors and vanilla.

I might have to try some drink recipes with it, I don't know if I love it straight.

I don't think I could describe this any better.

That being said, this was never a good buy at $80.
I dare say that its not even a $37 spirit.
I did enjoy it more after some time, but I didn't like the initial sip.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I was pretty close to picking up a bottle of this, but the last few reviews have made me think otherwise.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:I was pretty close to picking up a bottle of this, but the last few reviews have made me think otherwise.
Me too. I feel dispirited.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:I was pretty close to picking up a bottle of this, but the last few reviews have made me think otherwise.
Me too. I feel dispirited.
Well, I hope I didn't lead anyone astray in terms of buying something they didn't really like. I DO want to be trusted on this site.

I did make a great Toddy the other night.