Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Prairie Artisinal Ales

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Prairie Artisinal Ales

Post by Torontoblue »

Looks like us folk out West will be getting Prairie into Alberta pretty soon.

Craft Beer Importers announced yesterday on their Facebook page.

I've tried a few of their beers and have yet to see what all the hype is about. Wasn't a huge fan of Bible Belt, but then I don't like chili beers.

Still, a nice little coup from Craft!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bomb! and Noir are amazing, haven't tried the others.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I thought the Vanilla Noir was really artificial tasting. The Prairie Noir was too hot for me (whisky & chili), and felt really thin. The Wine Barrel Noir was very good (vinous, tart, roasty).

Best I've had has been the Coffee Noir. Oh, and Puncheon.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Really liked Funky Galaxy.
Cherry Funk was a let down. Good, but I was hoping/expecting great as it seemed right up my alley.
I've had a few others (no Bomb or Noir or non-saison types) and wasn't moved one way or another.

Cool news for the west anyway.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

They brew a wide variety of beers, and in relatively small amounts, so I think they have a lot of batch to batch variance, but overall, them seem to consistently get very high ratings.

I aged my bottle of Bomb! for 6 months or so, it was fantastic, the chili heat was subtle, with a rich creamy body and no big booze notes that I am usually very critical of. I drank the Noir fresh on tap at Bangers in Austin, TX, and it was superb.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

curious to see which bottles you get there. I know of a few places in the midwest that get the Prairie Ale and Puncheon and nothing else.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

From the owner of the agency:

"Birra and Ale in AB and in BC. For AB only we’ll also get Bomb.

And some of their one-offs as well "

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I've had Birra, Standard, and Phantasmagoria. Thought they were all good, but not great. Those more in the know about the brewery inform me it's the stouts you should be seeking.