Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days - Oct 24-26, 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

having sierra neveda fresh cask in Toronto will be sweet, as well as many others that may make it to sunday

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

midlife crisis wrote:Fantastic (overwhelming, really) list. I note that "5 oz pour = 1 token [$2.50]" but imported beers are $5 per 5 oz pour. Just wondering what is meant by imported, i.e. US and UK, or also extra-provincial?
IIRC, the $5/5 oz cost only applied to out-of-country beers last year.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

lister wrote:
Craig wrote:I'm going to slowly mark this up with BA/RB ratings and such. The sheet is editable, so feel free to do the same if you want.
I did something like that last year only to have the list order change frequently.

Just a FYI.

I started working on something to dynamically grab the web page and do the better formatting magic but that reinforced how much I hate mucking around with HTML and I gave up.
Me too. I'll try to keep it up to date, but I'm not promising anything.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

That's an impressive list! The ciders look especially interesting.

I really really hoppy they aren't serving all those IPA challenge beers blind.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

looks like a very solid list overall, but I'm not sure why a third of the California beers have goofy shit added to them.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

J343MY wrote:looks like a very solid list overall, but I'm not sure why a third of the California beers have goofy shit added to them.
One man's goofy is another man's wunderbar -- happy to see a goodly number with chillies added. I still miss GLB's Peach & Pepper Ale.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

skaghevn wrote:
J343MY wrote:looks like a very solid list overall, but I'm not sure why a third of the California beers have goofy shit added to them.
One man's goofy is another man's wunderbar -- happy to see a goodly number with chillies added. I still miss GLB's Peach & Pepper Ale.
I like the goofy shit too. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. There's lots of beers there that are normal.

That Peach & Pepper Ale was fantastic!
lister

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Can there be any doubt at this point that this event is World Class? I'm not sure if any other single festival world wide could be considered to have a substantially better lineup than this.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'll second "goofy". I will leave all the beers with kaffir leaves, cucumber, thyme, zest of any kind, peppercorns, chillies (ugh) and cacao nibs for you guys. Far too many of those on the list for my taste, particularly from CA. But as you say, there is plenty of beer for everybody.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

midlife crisis wrote:I'll second "goofy". I will leave all the beers with kaffir leaves, cucumber, thyme, zest of any kind, peppercorns, chillies (ugh) and cacao nibs for you guys. Far too many of those on the list for my taste, particularly from CA. But as you say, there is plenty of beer for everybody.
I wasn't interested in an IPA with cucumber, tangelo and lime until I notice it was African cucumber. Now I gotta have it!

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

JerCraigs wrote:I really really hoppy they aren't serving all those IPA challenge beers blind.
From the IPA Challenge Page:

THIRTY TWO INDIA PALE ALES FROM MICRO BREWERIES ACROSS CANADA GO HEADS UP IN A SINGLE ELIMINATION BRACKET TOURNAMENT. ALL IPA'S WILL BE SERVED BLIND AND ON CASK. DETAILS WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON!

That's really my only knock on the event as I would just like to try the IPAs I want.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

A wrote:Can there be any doubt at this point that this event is World Class? I'm not sure if any other single festival world wide could be considered to have a substantially better lineup than this.
I'd venture that GBBF, GABF, Brussels Beer weekend and Mondiale are probably all a step ahead still, but Cask Days is right there.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

icemachine wrote:
A wrote:Can there be any doubt at this point that this event is World Class? I'm not sure if any other single festival world wide could be considered to have a substantially better lineup than this.
I'd venture that GBBF, GABF, Brussels Beer weekend and Mondiale are probably all a step ahead still, but Cask Days is right there.
I think I'd take this lineup over Mondiale (Montreal) this year. That could change once I see what's available in which session, of course.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Clearly world class, but it depends on what your definition of 'better' is. GABF boasts 700 breweries and 3,000 beers. But yeah, the combination of selection and overall experience puts CD up there for sure.

FoBaB last year had 200+ beers and was the 'best' selection IMO that I was privy to in 2013.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

lister