Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Which LCBO Beers Do You Miss The Most?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Forgot to mention Deschutes Black Butte. Loved that

austin

Post by austin »

Fuller's 1845

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

there will always be places in my heart for..

fullers 1845
okocim porter
unibroue terrible
founders backwoods bastard
southern tier gemini, unearthly and 2xipa
westmalle dubbel
la chouffe

<sniff, sniff>
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

dale cannon wrote:there will always be places in my heart for..

okocim porter

<sniff, sniff>
Forgot about that gem! It was great.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ I had almost mentioned Okocim. Actually the original Okocim Pils was a nice strong-tasting polish lager, it was later replaced with something called 'export' which I found gross. But the baltic porter, yes!

Westmalle Dubbel is coming back, briefly... I might squirrel away half a case since it ages really well for years, and stands up respectably to some to the more vaunted Trappists (same yeast strain as Westvleteren's brewery now uses, I just remembered.)
In Beerum Veritas

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Belgian wrote:^ I had almost mentioned Okocim. Actually the original Okocim Pils was a nice strong-tasting polish lager, it was later replaced with something called 'export' which I found gross. But the baltic porter, yes!

Westmalle Dubbel is coming back, briefly... I might squirrel away half a case since it ages really well for years, and stands up respectably to some to the more vaunted Trappists (same yeast strain as Westvleteren's brewery now uses, I just remembered.)
I recently had some Westmalle Tripel and Dubbel that were about a year or two old each and they were terribly oxidized. Perhaps they used to cellar well but the new stuff seems to have quality problems.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Oh dear!

I neglected to mention the saison DuPont, specifically in the tiny bottles with the butterfly on the label...circa 2006?
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

dale cannon wrote:Oh dear!

I neglected to mention the saison DuPont, specifically in the tiny bottles with the butterfly on the label...circa 2006?
Oh, man...yeah...If I remember correctly, were they, like, 250ml?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

spinrsx wrote:Prima pils and dfh 60min
+1 for the Prima Pils. I always buy it when travelling now, after having discovered it when it was at the LCBO.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Inkling wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Prima pils and dfh 60min
+1 for the Prima Pils. I always buy it when travelling now, after having discovered it when it was at the LCBO.
Make that a +2. I loved that beer.

I also miss Christoffel Blonde and Christoffel Nobel.

Sam Adams Latitude 48 as well.

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock.
Weltenberger Kloster-Assam Bock.
Ayinger Celebrator.
Paulaner Salvator
Fullers 1845
Adnams Broadside
Belhaven Scottish Stout

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

aren't these all at the lcbo right now?
mintjellie wrote: I also miss

Sam Adams Latitude 48
Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock.
Belhaven Scottish Stout

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Bellhaven Twisted Thistle.

It was available years ago as singles and made a reappearance in the mixed pack from last Christmas' release. The ones last year were not nearly as good as when it was available as singles.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

JeffPorter wrote:
dale cannon wrote:Oh dear!

Oh, man...yeah...If I remember correctly, were they, like, 250ml?
What do you guys like about the 250ml bottles? The smaller format? The cute label? I have had a lot of both and I feel pretty strongly that the smaller bottles are inferior. If 250ml is stereo, 750ml is glorious surround sound. So much of what makes Saison Dupont great is the yeast, and I just don't think the dynamics scale down well. (Incidentally, I just had a 10 1/2 year-old Saison Dupont, a 750, a few days ago--amazingly good, one of the best beers I've had all year.)
Here's to the slow path.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Wheatsheaf wrote:What do you guys like about the 250ml bottles? The smaller format? The cute label? I have had a lot of both and I feel pretty strongly that the smaller bottles are inferior. If 250ml is stereo, 750ml is glorious surround sound. So much of what makes Saison Dupont great is the yeast, and I just don't think the dynamics scale down well. (Incidentally, I just had a 10 1/2 year-old Saison Dupont, a 750, a few days ago--amazingly good, one of the best beers I've had all year.)
I don't like the small or large sizes. The various 333ml through 500ml sizes work best for me, cans preferred.
lister

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

toweringpine wrote:Bellhaven Twisted Thistle.

It was available years ago as singles and made a reappearance in the mixed pack from last Christmas' release. The ones last year were not nearly as good as when it was available as singles.
I felt precisely the same. The one in the mixed pack was a watered down shell of it's former self. The one in singles had a potent and delicious hop profile, beautifully balanced. I will add the singles version of it to my memory lane list.
Wheatsheaf wrote:What do you guys like about the 250ml bottles? The smaller format? The cute label? I have had a lot of both and I feel pretty strongly that the smaller bottles are inferior. If 250ml is stereo, 750ml is glorious surround sound. So much of what makes Saison Dupont great is the yeast, and I just don't think the dynamics scale down well. (Incidentally, I just had a 10 1/2 year-old Saison Dupont, a 750, a few days ago--amazingly good, one of the best beers I've had all year.)
The butterfly effect.