Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Craft Beer Release 2014

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

spinrsx wrote:so this rodenbach vintage is already aged?

Therefor not a good candidate for me to cellar? (it is already at it's peak?)

If it can be cellared, any idea for how long?
It's already bad. Don't buy any.

Leave it all for Chad.......

In all seriousness, it will keep for years. It's just not bottle conditioned, so it won't change much.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, opened a 15 year old Liefmans Goudenband on the weekend. It was perfectly fine. Quite good in fact.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:I think the Ark of the Covenant might be in there... :lol:
I believe the wooden box the Ark of the Covenant came in was already used in ageing a batch of blended lambics. It was sycamore or olive wood I believe... I passed on a bottle, waiting for the Second Coming edition.
cfrancis wrote:Rodenbach it will keep for years. It's just not bottle conditioned, so it won't change much.
I didn't want to stray into matters some of you would better know but I believe Rodenbach is already more or less completely reacted chemically in the brewing/abusing process, and then its pasteurized to kill any stray bacteria from the ancient vats, cobwebs and so on. So it's a nice tasting bottle of biologically dead beer that doesn't really age one way or the other.
In Beerum Veritas

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Belgian wrote: I didn't want to stray into matters some of you would better know but I believe Rodenbach is already more or less completely reacted chemically in the brewing/abusing process, and then its pasteurized to kill any stray bacteria from the ancient vats, cobwebs and so on. So it's a nice tasting bottle of biologically dead beer that doesn't really age one way or the other.
Much better answer than mine.

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

Belgian wrote:
lister wrote:I think the Ark of the Covenant might be in there... :lol:
I believe the wooden box the Ark of the Covenant came in was already used in ageing a batch of blended lambics. It was sycamore or olive wood I believe... I passed on a bottle, waiting for the Second Coming edition.
cfrancis wrote:Rodenbach it will keep for years. It's just not bottle conditioned, so it won't change much.
I didn't want to stray into matters some of you would better know but I believe Rodenbach is already more or less completely reacted chemically in the brewing/abusing process, and then its pasteurized to kill any stray bacteria from the ancient vats, cobwebs and so on. So it's a nice tasting bottle of biologically dead beer that doesn't really age one way or the other.
Belgian nails it twice in one post!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

liamt07 wrote:
Cass wrote:Sigtuna Midvinterblot
Still a decent number of these sitting on the shelf of my local LCBO from last year's release...
Really? I enjoyed that one quite a bit. Whats your local? I might pick some up lol.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Rochefort 10 is showing inventory now. Stock up!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

In order to rein this thread in a bit, I've split the chat about the holiday packs into its own thread:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=9942

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

spinrsx wrote:Rochefort 10 is showing inventory now. Stock up!
Am I the only who much prefers the 8?

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

spinrsx wrote:
Rochefort 10 is showing inventory now. Stock up!

Am I the only who much prefers the 8?
I prefer the 10, but my wife and parents much prefer the 8. So, you're not alone.

Anyone know what's with the slow release of the R10? I hope we're getting more than is currently available. Drinkvine shows only 117 left across 4 stores. I haven't had a chance to buy any this year.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I prefer the 10 as well. I also like the 8 more with a bit of age on it rather than fresh.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Rochefort 10 was the first beer I ever tossed down the drain. First time I had it I could only drink 1/2 a bottle...it was TOO MUCH. Love it now though....but the 8 is a thing of beauty too.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Rochefort 10 price just jumped 20 cents. Still a good deal though

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

spinrsx wrote:I prefer the 10 as well. I also like the 8 more with a bit of age on it rather than fresh.
Agreed

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so a 6 L fin du monde is coming to the lcbo too??

"Please join us as we celebrate the launch of a ‘’LIMITED EDITION’’ 6-Litre Bottle of La Fin du Monde and our other exciting seasonal Unibroue products at the LCBO! We will be hosting an exclusive tasting event led by our brewmaster, Jerry Vietz, and our beer sommelier, Sylvain Bouchard.

This event will be held in Toronto, on Thursday NOVEMBER 27TH from 1:30pm – 3:00pm, at the LCBO Summerhill Events Kitchen (Yonge & Summerhill)."