Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smoking banned on open air patios starting Jan 1 2015

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It seems like a good idea to me.

Maybe this will also help cut down on all the noise pollution that comes from bars that have their patrons smoking outside with a foot in the door while the surrounding community has to listen to the racket from inside.

On the topic of air pollution, I wonder if they will get around to stopping the cops from to sitting around in their idling cruisers all the time too. Just today the police services board was talking about escalating costs. I wonder how much of that is fuel.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I bet you when the patio ban happens we'll still walk by the smokers somewhere near the entrance & it will always be the same 2-3 people...
I will miss the stench of cheap, chemical-laced tobacco smoke farting around the patio. 8)

The ban will affect businesses if fewer people go out to their favorite pint & smoke place. This may be generationally less important now as smoking becomes less accepted. I hope the long game of discuraging smoking is fewer resultant health problems for everyone, less drain on OHIP, and possibly reduced distracted driving. I'ts possible people's taste for food and beer may get sharper...
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I like it in theory but I'm dubious about how the 20 metres is going to be enforced by bar owners. Although I guess the insufferable dickbags I shoulder through outside Jack Astors at Front and Church can now head into the alley beside C'est What and stand in years of dried piss while they light up.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Belgian wrote:
The ban will affect businesses if fewer people go out to their favorite pint & smoke place.
Restaurant owners swore they would lose all their business when smoking was banned inside but instead their numbers grew. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years as people get used to this.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Malcolm wrote:I like it in theory but I'm dubious about how the 20 metres is going to be enforced by bar owners. Although I guess the insufferable dickbags I shoulder through outside Jack Astors at Front and Church can now head into the alley beside C'est What and stand in years of dried piss while they light up.
Wow! No chip on those shoulders but that 375 sq ft apt in Parkdale can do that to you.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Rob Creighton wrote:
Wow! No chip on those shoulders but that 375 sq ft apt in Parkdale can do that to you.
375? Nope - 800, but I own the rest of the house too!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thee is a Jack Astors at Front and Church St?
Great news in the smoking ban though....!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

toweringpine wrote:
Belgian wrote: The ban will affect businesses if fewer people go out to their favorite pint & smoke place.
Restaurant owners swore they would lose all their business when smoking was banned inside but instead their numbers grew. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years as people get used to this.
Law Of Unintended Consequence. People are still people, maybe trading one oral fixation (cigarette smoking) for another one (beer they can actually taste.) People may go to smoking as a social habit more than the nicotine. It used to be a social crutch (esp for young women) that we're seeing less of nowadays as people can instead fidget on their smart phones.

Also the many who used to hate ANY smoke in bars, restaurants and patios probably go out more now - perhaps explaining the 'paradoxical' rise in business.
In Beerum Veritas

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

I'll put up with a lot of things, but the government trying to say my son and I can't enjoy a couple smokes at the playground, that's where I draw the line. There goes our father/son bonding time.

No one can go down a slide backwards with a smoke like my boy. No one!
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Publican

Post by Publican »

I know of a pub in Mississauga that might go out of business because of this because most of their customers are smokers. It is not a good pub for craft beer but does have Sportsnet World for FA Cup matches that are not on the regular Sportsnet channels.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Publican wrote:I know of a pub in Mississauga that might go out of business because of this because most of their customers are smokers. It is not a good pub for craft beer but does have Sportsnet World for FA Cup matches that are not on the regular Sportsnet channels.
Time for them to re-invent themselves I guess! Or fold up and call it quits. I do find it hard to believe an Ontario pub survives solely off of FA Cup matches being viewed by smokers anymore.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Publican wrote:I know of a pub in Mississauga that might go out of business because of this because most of their customers are smokers. It is not a good pub for craft beer but does have Sportsnet World for FA Cup matches that are not on the regular Sportsnet channels.
take a second and think.
like, do you really think this will happen? people will not go to the bar? just like smokers stopped going to university when they banned smoking in classrooms? or smokers stopped taking flights and traveling when they banned smoking in airplanes?

OH COME ON!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Right. The owner should go out of business because the "government" says they can't do what they wish with their property. I don't know how any of you can think that's okay.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah I like your posts Matt but I think that's a bit of an overhyped concern. I too resent overweaning government intrusion that just f**ks things up and I do feel we need to carefully protect the public interest from out own 'dictators'.

But smoking is one thing they phased out correctly, giving time for the habit to die out, step by step. And by 'die out' I mean to some extent literally, as there will be fewer new smokers than ever to replace the aging generation. I question if every bar relies on patio smoking that much or if the same number of people will still want to get out of the house if they can smoke everywhere or not?

I mean what are we talking about here, are we really concerned about the bars or the disprivileged smokers?
In Beerum Veritas