Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Glasses

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I like the shape of a lot of Belgian glasses, but they're often so thin and fragile. That's one reason I loved this one:

Though it was no match for the tile floor. :(

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Ratio of glasses owned vs glasses smashed
Ratio of glasses smashed by you vs smashed by significant other

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote:Bust my Maredsous glass the other night, It was a taller, more fluted style than the goblet one in the more recent gift packs :(
Have still got two of those! I like the 'goblet' style from the first year they went to that shape (2010?)
In Beerum Veritas

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

rfrf wrote:Ratio of glasses owned vs glasses smashed
100:1
1:0

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

chris_schryer wrote:I'm all for Spiegelau glasses. Best glassware ever. They have a craft beer pack that has a tulip, weissebeir, and pint. You can get them at The Bay, I think, and other places.
I had never used a Teku glass until yesterday at the OCB conference and it's a new favourite.

The Spiegelau stemmed pilsner glass was previously my favourite. Looks like they may have changed the name though to make a bit more sense.

http://www.spiegelau.com/beer-classics/beer-tulip/

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

homesense carries the spiegelau ipa glasses for everyone's information. just picked up a pair

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

FEUO wrote:
RIP DDC :lol:

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

instantkamera wrote:
FEUO wrote:
RIP DDC :lol:
Oh, I've broken a few.
The ratio is 1:0 which is the same as me breaking 10+ to the wife's 0.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so here it is.

Does anybody know where I could pick up a zip-up beer bottle koozie, preferably with a macro lager logo on it? I'm participating in a bottle exchange and thought the koozie would be funny.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Ceecee wrote:I wasn't really sure where to put this, so here it is.

Does anybody know where I could pick up a zip-up beer bottle koozie, preferably with a macro lager logo on it? I'm participating in a bottle exchange and thought the koozie would be funny.
how about the obvious: the beer store? most have at least some merch. barring that, i'd try anywhere with an outdoors section for coolers and such (but that might be getting spotty this time of year) - canadian tire, perhaps walmart, home hardware, home depot, etc...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

how about the obvious: the beer store?
Duh. Brain fart. Thanks.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Saw a bunch of the Spiegelau beer glasses today at Sears:

-The IPA
-The American Wheat Beer
-The Stout

all four packs all clearance at $11.99

Didn't see the Tulip one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I really like these old Petrus goblets. No-nonsense. I bought three, and only wrecked one so far in the last 15 or so years.
This particular shape is pleasing to hold and flattering to nearly all beers. Note the top slope doesn't have a flare, just straight lines.

I have a fair collection of glasses but I use the Petrus goblet 98% of the time, and I only gravitate towards maybe 1/3 of the other specialized ones a few times per year. I always need a few giant Duvel Tulips, Chimay Chalinces, and Hefeweizen tall glasses. The others don't get a ton of play.

This is the amazing La Trappe Chalice with extremely fine (crystal?) gold rim and scalloping around the top and a very lifted, sensuous bowl shape. Viewed on the table the filled glass looks like the bowl is floating above the stem. It's a showy one to serve beer in, an art piece - you have to sip carefully around that rim which makes it perfect for BSAs - and I usually find other glasses more grab-and-go.

For fun I'm drinking Bellwoods Jelly King S-R from it right now and hey, it's actually pretty cool. It's probably like a Rochefort glass but even more curved in on top. Very few beer glasses (besides Czech beer crystal) seem to have this fine of an edge. I'm going to use this chalice sometimes... thanks for reminding me.

Esprit may still be clearing inventory, the late Mr. Lopaty had a range of branded glassware.
Or why not go to Value Village when you walk by it, you always might find new-looking glasses in there people got in gift packs and never used.
In Beerum Veritas

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Belgian wrote:Or why not go to Value Village when you walk by it, you always might find new-looking glasses in there people got in gift packs and never used.
The Goodwill is also worth a look. If you are looking for branded glassware on a budget, those two stores are places you will want to check on a regular basis. A lot of the LCBO giftpack glassware shows up there too, if you scour the shelves in the months after Christmas. Personally I've had better luck finding cool glasses at Goodwill than VV, but I suppose it depends on the location (and your own luck/timing, of course).

Just last week I found a Westmalle chalice at the Goodwill up the street from me. For only a buck, there was no way I could pass that up.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Ukie wrote:Saw a bunch of the Spiegelau beer glasses today at Sears:

-The IPA
-The American Wheat Beer
-The Stout

all four packs all clearance at $11.99

Didn't see the Tulip one.
Sears Canada filed for bankruptcy recently.