Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

atomeyes wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
atomeyes wrote: i assume that's Dragon's Milk?
No, it's whiskey aged in barrels that were previously used to age beer.
yeah, not sure how excited i'll be about that.
Not sure who this appeals to, beer drinkers that like the barrel influence or whisky drinkers who don't - almost like new make spirit without much tannins, oak influence. Either way, it's a huge pass for me. I'll wait until it's reduced to clear at $27 and split a bottle with two friends.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

NEW HOLLAND BEER BARREL BOURBON
LCBO 387415 | 750 mL bottle
^ I suppose malt whiskey is normally distilled from what is essentially beer anyway. Even though Bourbon is distilled from at least 51% fermented corn, I'd expect beer barrel ageing to be a fairly neutral or subtle influence?
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Blasphomet wrote:
boney wrote:
Craig wrote: No kidding? It went sour?

I had a 13 maybe a week ago and it wasn't sour at all. Different from fresh, but not sour. I guess I'll have to hold on to at least one bottle and see what it's like with another year on it.

The Cuvee isn't the best beer in the world, but I really like it as a different treat to pull from the cellar every now and then. It's pretty unique.
Some of my favourite beers were unintentional sours. I hope my 3 cellared Cuvee's all go sour :)
Make sure you guys keep in touch when you drink your aged Cuvee. I will definitely be olding onto my 13 now for another year. I enjoyed it fresh, but with two years, a complete about-face. I'm curious if it is common for the beer.
Yeah, so if you are into sours and wilds, the Cuvee is for you. Pulled out my 2012 and it was a guuuuusher. Quite acetic, but in a pleasant way, and Brett-y. All the spices that went into it combined with the new character, makes it a totally unique beer. Honestly, I much prefer the aged, sour version. Really interesting. Can't wait for the new batches and I still have 2 2013's left.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

Belgian wrote:
NEW HOLLAND BEER BARREL BOURBON
LCBO 387415 | 750 mL bottle
^ I suppose malt whiskey is normally distilled from what is essentially beer anyway. Even though Bourbon is distilled from at least 51% fermented corn, I'd expect beer barrel ageing to be a fairly neutral or subtle influence?
Mmm, sweet corn. $33 moonshine diluted to 40%abv. Guess it's more palatable that way. Un-fucking-real.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/georgi ... GlSuog8KK0

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Blasphomet wrote:I just drank my 2012 Mill Street Barley Wine.

It was damn nice. Better than I remember. A nice farewell to the beer, as I'll probably never drink it again.
Good to hear. I have a 2012 as well that I'm planning on having up against the 2014.

Apparently the '14 is brewed with all Ontario grown Hops.

EDIT: $13.95?!!! Looks like it'll just be the 2012 for me. Not sure how they justify that price.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beer'n'gin wrote:Mmm, sweet corn. $33 moonshine diluted to 40%abv. Guess it's more palatable that way. Un-fucking-real.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/georgi ... GlSuog8KK0
Yeah the only corn I usually like is in my fresh tortillas. Not to say Goose Bourbon County is bad in the least, at least it reminds me of a buttery candy caramel ball.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now:

OMMEGANG GAME OF THRONES VALAR MORGHULIS
LCBO 402453 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 9.95

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:listed now:

OMMEGANG GAME OF THRONES VALAR MORGHULIS
LCBO 402453 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 9.95
Picked up a couple in the States a few weeks back, haven't tried it yet.

Pkgd on 07/02/2014

BB 07/2017

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Um...4 pk of bolshevik bastard for 10 bucks? Wooho...Less than 2.50 a bottle!
Last edited by JeffPorter on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

U la resolution on the shelves
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

JeffPorter wrote:Um...4 pk of bolshevik bastard for 10 bucks? Wooho...Less than 2.50 a bottle!
grabbed my (first) 4 pack last night - tasting great.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

JeffPorter wrote:Um...4 pk of bolshevik bastard for 10 bucks? Wooho...Less than 2.50 a bottle!
This beer is great value IMO.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

rfrf wrote:
grabbed my (first) 4 pack last night - tasting great.
For anyone looking for it because it doesn't show up on the LCBO website search and the food and drink site search lists the product name as N/A, here is the drinkvine and food and drink listing:

http://drinkvine.com/drinkdetail.php?ty ... tID=406348

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=406348

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

BakaGaijin wrote:
This beer is great value IMO.
Always been. It used to be like 12 bucks for a six pack at the brewery.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Yay! Peche is listed again.