Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crazy price for Koval Single Barrel Millet

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:Well, I hope I didn't lead anyone astray in terms of buying something they didn't really like. I DO want to be trusted on this site.
I think you are, and people can get full refunds, which is to guarantee people like their LCBO purchase.
In Beerum Veritas

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

JeffPorter wrote:
Belgian wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:I was pretty close to picking up a bottle of this, but the last few reviews have made me think otherwise.
Me too. I feel dispirited.
Well, I hope I didn't lead anyone astray in terms of buying something they didn't really like. I DO want to be trusted on this site.

I did make a great Toddy the other night.
I enjoyed. Maybe not for $80, but on sale, great.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

This is now $29.somethingorother at my LCBO. I still passed on it.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Tastes fantastic with ginger ale!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'm a big fan of this whiskey. Ultra smooth. Unique flavours.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

JeffPorter wrote:
Belgian wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:I was pretty close to picking up a bottle of this, but the last few reviews have made me think otherwise.
Me too. I feel dispirited.
Well, I hope I didn't lead anyone astray in terms of buying something they didn't really like. I DO want to be trusted on this site.

I did make a great Toddy the other night.
I think your review was pretty accurate. What you like, is what you like. Just because I don't enjoy something as much as you did, that doesn't make it a bad drink, and it certainly doesn't make you a bad reviewer. It just means your preferences are a little bit different than mine.

Would I have bought this at 80 dollars? No. Is it a decent whiskey at its sale price? Yes, it's good enough.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I finally got around to this last night. I like it, not sure it would be worth the initial asking price but I'm not disappointed with it at the sale price. It's quite smooth and soft. Subtle nose. I think it would be a good whisky for beginners.
lister

microbrute

Post by microbrute »

Just to add to the previous reviews, I think you have to go into this one realizing that this is essentially a micro distillery (well, small batch at the very least, Koval isn't tiny). So what you're supporting is a craft distillery and a hand crafted product.

The truth of it is, if you're looking for top quality flavour, most people will learn towards spirits aged 10+ years, which is totally understandable, spirits aged that long are smooth and easy to drink and have tons of unique flavours. For a small distillery, 10 years is almost unfathomable.

But what you don't get with a big distillery is unique spirit ingredients like millet, nor organic grains (in most cases), so that's what makes this a unique product. Supporting a small company who didn't bulk create the spirit, plus a unique flavour profile is what you're paying for. So at $37, it's a steal!

I wouldn't go as far as to compare the big guys like Crown and CC to Coors and Labbat's, but that's probably the closest comparison in the spirit market. Except in this case, the big companies have the benefit of tons of barrel aging to mask the bulk spirit production, so their product is easy to consume and hard to reject at their affordable price points.

To each their own, and there's something to be appreciated in all spirits, craft or bulk. Nice to see people so willing to try a relatively unknown craft product like this in the spirit category. Spirits has a long way to catch up to craft beer, but it's clearly on its way.

Cheers.