Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Ceecee wrote:
ECBS wrote:Would Kuhnhenn choose to deal with the LCBO...?
If they wanted to ship the 4D up here again, I'd gladly buy as many bottles as I could.
Huh, I didn't realize the LCBO had picked up some 4D last year. Certainly didn't make it down to my area :x

Main point for the purposes of this thread, though, is that the Raspberry Eisbock will not be gracing LCBO shelves anytime soon!

Would I like it to? Definitely. Kuhnhenn really does make some world class stuff, IMO - 4D, BB4D & DRIPA are among my all-time favourites. I even drove across the border just to spend an hour at their Summer Solstice party, and it was worth it for the Solstice Stout alone. But I refused to take part in all of the craziness surrounding the Eisbock release last weekend. When beer becomes so prohibitively expensive (especially beer bought directly from the source) and hoarding is practically encouraged (just my opinion), I'm much less inclined to support the brewer.

Anyway, I suppose this has turned into somewhat of a threadjack, so let us return to discussing the topic of exciting new LCBO releases! Gentlemen - as you were.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ECBS wrote:You did not miss anything. Except maybe one BTer's usual sarcasm being interpreted as fact by another BTer :)
^ Or maybe one misquoting me :). Seems reasonable to ask when we should expect the return of Kuhnhenn in Ontario, given the revival of the Raspberry Eisbock & the past 4D release that sold well here. (Relevant comments from importers welcome.)
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

damn it. you're going to force me to try to remember what Mr K said to us this summer.
think the LCBO wanted more. he gave them what he could.
think we'll see his beer again, esp when he increases capacity.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

atomeyes wrote:damn it. you're going to force me to try to remember what Mr K said to us this summer.
think the LCBO wanted more. he gave them what he could.
think we'll see his beer again, esp when he increases capacity.
Makes sense. If they could manage to send LCBO some 4D from their old brewery, before they even had the capacity to distribute across Michigan, you'd think a ten-fold expansion - combined with Kuhnhenn's success in Ontario last year - would mean more for us Ontarians!

Even if the LCBO doesn't see 4D again or any other Kuhnhenn beers for one reason or another, at least they'll be more widely available across Michigan once the new location opens.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

atomeyes wrote: Anyways, if you look at the politics behind us getting in non-Ontario kegs and the cost associated with it and the # of keg agencies (read: monopoly), you think that, if it goes according to plan, SN would have an aggressive take on entering Ontario, if they're bothering to enter here. i don't mean "Molson" aggressive, but i can't see why Volo, C'est What, the Only, etc etc all end up having their beer on tap.
Good grief. C'est What's entire philosophy and ethos for 25 years has been based on local food and beer, with an all-Ontario tap lineup (occasionally supplemented from Quebec). You really think they're going to change that just because the mighty Sierra Nevada decides to come to town?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Ayinger Weizen Bock
Broadhead Grindstone Amber Ale
Dead Crow Bourbon Flavoured Beer
Ola Dubh Special Reserve 21
Big Rock Barn Burner

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

PeenSteen wrote:Ayinger Weizen Bock
Big Rock Barn Burner
Bourbon flavoured? I wonder what that is, it sounds interesting.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dead-crow- ... er/204914/

Oh. Nevermind.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

wow.. Overall: Zero

that's somethin

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

PeenSteen wrote:Ayinger Weizen Bock
Big Rock Barn Burner
Has the Ola Dubh 1991 ever made it here?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

midlife crisis wrote:
atomeyes wrote: Anyways, if you look at the politics behind us getting in non-Ontario kegs and the cost associated with it and the # of keg agencies (read: monopoly), you think that, if it goes according to plan, SN would have an aggressive take on entering Ontario, if they're bothering to enter here. i don't mean "Molson" aggressive, but i can't see why Volo, C'est What, the Only, etc etc all end up having their beer on tap.
Good grief. C'est What's entire philosophy and ethos for 25 years has been based on local food and beer, with an all-Ontario tap lineup (occasionally supplemented from Quebec). You really think they're going to change that just because the mighty Sierra Nevada decides to come to town?
yep.
25 years of philosophy.
and it wasn't due to restrictions on what good beer could be imported?
tell ya what. you can drink at C'est What, the local beer bar (who serves local Unibrou, but hey, whatever), and i'll drink Narwhal on cask at Volo. sounds like a fair trade.

it's 2014. local does NOT always equal "great". we're 2 years past that point.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Ddc moralite coming to the lcbo in the spring. Woooo

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

spinrsx wrote:Ddc moralite coming to the lcbo in the spring. Woooo
Peche Mortel likely in January/February.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

PeenSteen wrote:As you will be able to tell some of these are clearly christmas/holiday packs

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
St. Bernardus Mixed Pack
Lindeman's Gift Pack
Rogue Yellow Snow 5L Mini keg
Wonder what happened to the lindemans pack.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

spinrsx wrote:Ddc moralite coming to the lcbo in the spring. Woooo
Provided it's fresh, that's neat.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

spinrsx wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:As you will be able to tell some of these are clearly christmas/holiday packs

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
St. Bernardus Mixed Pack
Lindeman's Gift Pack
Rogue Yellow Snow 5L Mini keg
Wonder what happened to the lindemans pack.
Will we actually see the Rogue mini kegs before Christmas?