Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La resolution

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerguykw

La resolution

Post by beerguykw »

Had this beer on tap last night at the Bent Elbow in Kitchener.

Medium carbonation, dark cherry in colour.

It was sweet, with toffee and raisins in the mouthfeel. Followed by a slight flat maltiness that muted the sweet flavour.

Overall, its a touch sweeter than I would prefer and isn't as smooth from start to finish as I would like.

I was going to buy a few of these, but now I may only grab one and let it age for a while to see what happens in a year or so.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Agreed, found the high abv was too apparent, masking the flavours. Glad I only bought two, and will stash the other to see if it improves.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Had on tap at Beerbistro, quite underwhelming. Is it just me, or do most of the Unibroue beers essentially taste the same?

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

midlife crisis wrote: Is it just me, or do most of the Unibroue beers essentially taste the same?
I definitely think they all have a common thread (owing, I'm guessing, to the same house yeast being used in most of their brews), but IMO it's that common flavour that makes their beers so great!

Interestingly, I actually found La Resolution to be one of the most different Unibroue offerings, due to a strong ginger & caramel presence. Definitely reminds me of a Christmas or even Halloween/Pumpkin beer. And I quite liked it for what it was.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

given the new search format on LCBO.com, how do I find out where this beer is listed?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

kafercrazy wrote:given the new search format on LCBO.com, how do I find out where this beer is listed?
http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/jsp/Pro ... anguage=EN

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I totally agree with ECBS. I found this to be a refreshingly different, spicy and somewhat "less Unibroue-y" beer from Unibroue.

There is a common profile to many of their beers, which I thoroughly enjoy. For some, that profile seems to not work for them.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, I did have it immediately after another, more hop-forward beer - maybe I didn't do it justice. Will have to re-try. But if they had told me it was Maudite I wouldn't have argued at all.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The reason fresh yeasty UB beers often taste similar is fresh unibroue beers are yeasty. The grain bill and other additions may vary a lot, though so that comes out over time.

Uni encourages aging most of their belgian ales.
In Beerum Veritas

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Craig wrote:
kafercrazy wrote:given the new search format on LCBO.com, how do I find out where this beer is listed?
http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/jsp/Pro ... anguage=EN
thanks.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've been a huge fan of unibroue since around 1996... And I have to give them some credit for getting me into good beer.

I think I noticed a bit of a change around 2008, when their brews seemed to have a bit more yeast character. I wasn't sure if it was the new brewer, or new ownership (bigger batch sizes that got a bit warmer during fermentation?), but they seemed spicier. Particularly the 17 when it first came out... It seemed much spicier than their previous BSDAs.

I agree La resolution is a bit hot, and the spicing is a bit different. Now I wonder if it's actually the spices they add, rather than just the yeast character that makes them so similar.

I gave my wife a blind tasting of La Resolution, a recent local release, and my homebrew. She got the local right, but thought the Unibroue was mine because the flavours seemed fresh and poorly integrated, whereas mine was more well-rounded (which she thought must be the Unibroue). :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek I just noticed the Maß Bierstein in your avatar, I saw the exact one the other day at a thrift store. Those are cool! (Well the beer tends to get warm but anyway...)

And I too give Uni a lot of credit for 'the introduction'. We're talking 1990's when Ontario was kind of a wasteland.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That was the Hofbräuhaus Urbock they served vom fass, during the 2006 Starkbierfest. I was certainly surprised to see 1L pours of doppelbock, but this one was only 7.2%.

People were sitting outside a few places in March (so the beer wasn't too warm), but it was more common at the cafes where they often had blankets on the chairs for the customers. The Germans love the outdoors... If it was sunny, there was always people sitting outside.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Yeah, if you're familiar with the Unibroue house character/ yeast character you can pick it out anywhere. I'm in the camp that definitely doesn't dig it fresh. However, it drops put, or at least smooths out and integrates better with a year or two in the cellar. IMO nothing, and I mean no other beers, age as well as most Unibroue between one and three years.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

boney wrote:Yeah, if you're familiar with the Unibroue house character/ yeast character you can pick it out anywhere. I'm in the camp that definitely doesn't dig it fresh. However, it drops put, or at least smooths out and integrates better with a year or two in the cellar. IMO nothing, and I mean no other beers, age as well as most Unibroue between one and three years.
Very interesting. I hadn't put that together before as such, but you're right -- the few times I've cellared a large bottle of Maudite or Fin Du Monde or Trois Pistoles I have really enjoyed it. Doesn't say much for my ability to enjoy their beers on tap, but this is good advice that I think I will try to follow.