Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

German beer bar?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

German beer bar?

Post by Jon Walker »

A friend just e-mailed me the following...any thoughts?

"Question for you...where in town (GTA) is there a good selection of German beer?"

He didn't specify bottled or draft, brewed in Germany or German style, so I thought I'd refer him to this thread and let those of you with some thoughts post a reply.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

No takers on this?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

the woodhouse on bloor in high park had a lot but i think it may have closed

Manul

Post by Manul »

It's times like these when I regret Growlers. Having recently returned from a trip to Europe, and having spent a few weeks in Germany , I can say we are really deprived of good German beer here in Toronto. I understand the limited LCBO selection is due to the way they decided to run their bussiness in Ontario but I cannot explain why some of the local bars don't take matter in their own hands and go for different selection using other channels for import (i.e consignment or private ordering). I really miss good German bocks like Ayinger Celebrator, Andechs Doppelbock, Etaller Curator, Ayinger brau-Weisse and of course Kulmbacher Eisbock (the best german beer I've had so far). How can we live in one of the most developed countries in the world and not have access to these? Nah... I can already hear the echo of my voice

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Be sure to direct your friend to a good fresh pint of Denison's Weisse. German style. I like the Paulaner HW you get at the beer store as well.

I think he's out of luck for Weltenburger Asam Bock until next time. There's some Paulaner Salvator kicking around LCBO stores if you look, decent. I also think highly of Kostritzer, a "black" beer.
In Beerum Veritas

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

I heard that a bar called The Arte (somewhere in the west end - I've never been there) has a very good selection. I would call and ask about their selection if I were you. A friend of mine plays the piano and sings there on Monday nights.

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Check out the Musket on Advance Road. Also, I'm sure that Beer Bistro must have a reasonable selection. I'll check out their bottled list this afternoon.

Michael